Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2020, 07:39 AM

Default 😡 Need to buy my Coffee somewhere else.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7403839/e...covid-19-scam/
Saw this story this morning and this young Lady should still have her job. Huge failure by Starbucks. We no longer buy our coffee there. I really hope she seeks legal advice
Old 10-18-2020, 07:53 AM

There is probably much more to the story.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:09 AM
Banned

My guess is that she was fired for “stupidity”
Old 10-18-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Moose View Post
My guess is that she was fired for “stupidity”
My guess is she had a long list of issues and they finally got something that they can use to rid themselves of the problem. No one gets canned because of what she did alone.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:20 AM
AO Sponsor

That could very well have been the excuse but as people pointed out it may not be the reason. That said, it still is wrong to have handled it like that if it is indeed just the excuse to unload dead weight. If a business hires on an employee they have an obligation to make sure they train their employees properly and if something is not working, release them and pay them as was agreed upon, even if that employee is an idiot. I am not a fan of companies that use petty excuses to try and get out of paying legal severance etc and "finding" reasons to unload bad employees.

This said, it's Starbucks. Decisions are made by corporate policy all the time and are just plain wrong and this girl could very well be the victim of that very thing.

Tough to say.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-18-2020, 08:20 AM
Gone Hunting

I don't see any failure on Starbucks side.

Unless she was their purchasing agent she stepped over the line.

What she did, made every employee in the chain the target of a scam.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-18-2020, 08:22 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I don't see any failure on Starbucks side.

Unless she was their purchasing agent she stepped over the line.

What she did, made every employee in the chain the target of a scam.
It definitely is an action that would erode trust in an employee whether the scam was convincing or not. I can see that as a business owner although I would like to think I would have used it as a teaching moment rather than a hanging offence.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-18-2020, 08:29 AM

Be a cold day in Hell before I paid for my employer's expenses with my credit card. She was fired for stupidity, but that's the new norm and what drives scammers.

Grizz
Old 10-18-2020, 09:03 AM

I wouldn't buy my coffee from Starbucks anyway. It's not my style.

And why would she take this upon herself to deal with? Wouldn't that be a call to transfer to management?

Maybe the credit card company should be investigating her?
Old 10-18-2020, 09:11 AM

She was trained (?) for this kind of incident. Because she ignored her training she cost the company a thousand dollars.

I am no fan of Starbucks and never go there but I can't blame them for their actions.

When do you fire someone? When the cost is in the millions?

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 10-18-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
She was trained (?) for this kind of incident. Because she ignored her training she cost the company a thousand dollars.

I am no fan of Starbucks and never go there but I can't blame them for their actions.

When do you fire someone? When the cost is in the millions?
Yea I just think she was tricked and we all make mistakes. She used her own credit card so I don’t see why she was fired. Just my opinion. Lousy way to treat an employee
Old 10-18-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
Saw this story this morning and this young Lady should still have her job. Huge failure by Starbucks. We no longer buy our coffee there. I really hope she seeks legal advice
Maybe she could work for you. I wouldn’t hire her.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:09 AM

This would almost suggest that she would still have her job if she in fact used the companies purchasing card rather than her own.

“In a separation letter she received from Starbucks, it goes on to say she was let go because she provided an unknown caller her personal credit card information instead of using the store’s purchasing card, and that she failed to follow training.”

Plot twist: this was a test by the company themselves to see if she follow company training and she failed it.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:18 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

hmmm get a call about safety equipment...pay out of your own pocket....dam...what was she thinking call management over to take the call or provide the fraudulent people the number to handle the dealing/purchasing of the safety equipment.....cold day in hell I buy something on the phone like that...oh well Timms is hiring....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-18-2020, 11:39 AM

“Buying your coffee somewhere else” because of this story is kind of um... stupid.

Here’s some background information on Starbucks. My daughter works there as she’s a college student. Here’s how Starbucks treats their employees. Remember my daughter is only part time.

-Company benefits
-$1000.00 bursary for post secondary students, upon Successful completion of the course.
- A pound of free coffee every week!
- They offer flexible shifts to accommodate school
- They continue to pay benefits even if employees don’t meet the minimum hours because of coved
- If an employee needs to be laid off (steered closing many stores permanently) the employee can choose to still be a part of the benefits program.

Here’s the big one that impressed the hell out of me. Even when the stores were closed they continued to pay my daughter her regular wage until the end of August. Now they’re still paying 75%.

So I asked my daughter about this particular case. All she said is it takes “a lot”
To fire someone from Starbucks. Her store tipried to get rid of a slacker for months before it finally happened.

It’s a good company and treats it’s employees pretty damned good for part timers.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
“Buying your coffee somewhere else” because of this story is kind of um... stupid.

Here’s some background information on Starbucks. My daughter works there as she’s a college student. Here’s how Starbucks treats their employees. Remember my daughter is only part time.

-Company benefits
-$1000.00 bursary for post secondary students, upon Successful completion of the course.
- They continue to pay benefits even if employees don’t meet the minimum hours because of coved
- If an employee needs to be laid off (steered closing many stores permanently) the employee can choose to still be a part of the benefits program.

Here’s the big one that impressed the hell out of me. Even when the stores were closed they continued to pay my daughter her regular wage until the end of August. Now they’re still paying 75%.

So I asked my daughter about this particular case. All she said is it takes “a lot”
To fire someone from Starbucks. Her store tipried to get rid of a slacker for months before it finally happened.

It’s a good company and treats it’s employees pretty damned good for part timers.

I used to work there as well and I second all of this. They treat people great and a person almost needs to try to get fired for them to let you go.

They were very flexible with shifts and everything except for training because they wanted everyone to be on the same page and ensure that nobody made mistakes against the company policy.

There has to be more to this story and the employee.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:50 AM
Banned

She worked there for six years...I highly doubt she was a bad employee...she would have been gone long ago.
More likely a heavy handed manager, along with a desire to cut staff in these economic tough times.
As the company was out no money...it was an honest mistake...c'mon, someone calls and says the much required Covid safety materials are on the way...something everyone has been scrambling to obtain...at most it seems a retraining would be appropriate...but that's is.
I know I purchase from the Starbuck's on Kingsway a couple times a week...I'll now be taking that extra 4 min drive to the 2nd Cup in Oliver Sq.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post

-Company benefits

Thanks for a story from the "other-side"
Old 10-18-2020, 03:40 PM
Banned

What I interpreted from the story was that in April 2020, all employees were educated on corporate policy about this type of scenario.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:30 PM

I didn't read the story. Starbucks never impressed me with their prices.
Then they dissapointed me when they refused service to Military members and corporate supported it.
I have no time for that business at all.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
Then they dissapointed me when they refused service to Military members and corporate supported it.
Refused service to Military? What’s that all about.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:08 PM

Default To stupid to work at Starbucks.

Follow the rules.

Even Libtards have a limit I guess.

Breaching policy is generally terminal.

Not a fan of this or any anti-gun place so I am careful where’re I spend my money.

She could put why she was fired on her resume I guess maybe get some sympathy from somewhere. But doubt it.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
And again (like so much quoted here)...not true at all

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/gi-joe/
Old 10-18-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post

Beat me to it
Old 10-18-2020, 08:08 PM

I she's with those saying that she got fired for stupidity. But it also could've, no, was, big security risk. Instead of scammers who were are her money it could've been worse guys, say, trying to unload a few cartons/boxes of... dunno. Contaminated/spoiled/tainted milk. And this happy-go-lucky whipped hey own CC to pay for it, probably under the impression that the company will reimburse her. In the mean time milk gets used and people start getting sick...
Dunno, maybe I'm reading too many books about terrorists.

Don't shop at Starbucks, i think overpriced pretentious place for people who can't handle their money. A coronated drink shouldn't cost like the whole can of coffee at the store.
One time i was there with the friend, ordered simple medium black coffee. That little ***** behind the counter went "do you mean venti?". No damn it, i meant what i said - medium. Not hard to figure it out. It's between your large size and the small size. I don't want your condescending smirk, just shut up and pour.
Ps. I am not usually mean to people working jobs like that.. servers, store associates.. it's stupidity that riles me up, and continue to stupid riles me up even more.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post

Do you think I can find the articles. It was back in 2013/14 the store asked US Navy personal to leave the store because they were offended by their uniforms. This was in Seattle.
This happened a few more times in the South East States, then the Vancouver locations were saying they supported the move. Head office said they supported their managers in their decision making.
A very short time later they asked the Post Commanders why their men and women were not supporting their stores that they just built.

Shortly after these incidents Starbucks went on the Good PR program. Announcing a program of hiring Veterans.

Not to mention they have refused Police Officers across the US.
I saved the articles on my old computer but I will be damned if I can find them.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:56 AM

I personally have not purchased anything from Starbucks in years mainly because I like my own coffee at home and it burns me to pay $3 for a cup of coffee that I really don't like the taste of anyway.

That being said I don't see anything wrong with the way they handled this, my guess is there is more to the story about short comings of this employee and this may well have been the straw that broke the camels back.

Funny how people are so quick to condemn a company and call for a boycott without know the whole story, the new world, the new norm, and a by product of social media, crucify the company, make a poor martyr out of someone that probably got what they deserved, I'm surprised there is not a go fund me set up for her yet

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Do you think I can find the articles. It was back in 2013/14 the store asked US Navy personal to leave the store because they were offended by their uniforms. This was in Seattle.
This happened a few more times in the South East States, then the Vancouver locations were saying they supported the move. Head office said they supported their managers in their decision making.
A very short time later they asked the Post Commanders why their men and women were not supporting their stores that they just built.

Shortly after these incidents Starbucks went on the Good PR program. Announcing a program of hiring Veterans.

Not to mention they have refused Police Officers across the US.
I saved the articles on my old computer but I will be damned if I can find them.
And as the link I provided shows...all those instances were fake news.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Ah yes, the old “I have all the evidence that disputes when you’ve shown, but I can’t seem to find it”.

As for the firing, companies don’t screw around with phishing, social engineering etc these days. Mandatory training, test emails sent though by IT and consequences ranging from re-training to termination if you fail the checks.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:19 PM

I heard there was a Black Rifle Coffee Company store in edmonton. Maybe go there as they're gun friendly, and I've been told that they hire a lot of vets.