Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-17-2020, 01:32 PM

Default Fawn distress call

I've been thinking about trying out some kind of "fawn in distress" call while hunting whitetails and antlerless mule deer this season. I'm just not sure which thing to buy. The closest things I've been finding at Cabela's/Basspro have been jackrabbit distress calls and similar things, for predator hunting. Can anyone recommend a good fawn distress call for my purposes, and/or tell me where I can find one? To be clear, I'm not talking about electronic calls, which I'm aware are illegal for this.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teberle View Post
I've been thinking about trying out some kind of "fawn in distress" call while hunting whitetails and antlerless mule deer this season. I'm just not sure which thing to buy. The closest things I've been finding at Cabela's/Basspro have been jackrabbit distress calls and similar things, for predator hunting. Can anyone recommend a good fawn distress call for my purposes, and/or tell me where I can find one? To be clear, I'm not talking about electronic calls, which I'm aware are illegal for this.
I have a few Dan Thompson hand calls still in inventory. Pm if interested.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:02 PM

You can get an open reed coyote call like the lil dog and do a decent fawn on that or quakerboy makes a decent one. I have an old knight and hale but I'm not sure they still make them. Amazon.ca has a primos hardwood fawn ca'll listed if you can't find anything local.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:55 PM

I have had good luck with this one, have tried it numerous times coyote calling. If there are mule deer in the vicinity they are coming, always in a bad mood. I can do a pretty good magpie on this call as well although it is not marketed as such.

https://www.wolverinegt.ca/primos-ra...-reed-315.html

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-18-2020, 08:21 AM

Default Iv'e shot bucks

With the Lohman deer call [elastics over a reed ]and deer bleat by Primos in a can.Both WT and MD.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:48 AM

The Randy Anderson ki-yi is a decent option as well as any open reed jackrabbit distress. Personally for mule does I have just used my voice and it works like a hot dam

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 10-18-2020, 07:22 PM
Gone Hunting

RRcalls on FB . Custom calls. Very reasonable price and absolutely deadly. I've called in tons of predators and literally hundreds of deer with his calls.
Rick Robbins

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-19-2020, 01:52 PM

Thank you all for the replies. So I'm getting the impression that what I need is a good open-reed predator call, even if it isn't marketed specifically for fawn calls. Is that about right?
Old 10-19-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Thank you all for the replies. So I'm getting the impression that what I need is a good open-reed predator call, even if it isn't marketed specifically for fawn calls. Is that about right?
Bingo !
Old 10-19-2020, 03:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
fawn or deer distress call.Works for predators as well

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-19-2020, 04:31 PM

Default careful

You don't end up with a great horned owl in your toque!
Old 10-19-2020, 08:16 PM

Be careful. A friend was showing off his fawn distress call from road, only thing that saved him from the rushing pack of wolves was his Ford. After he ran out of ammo.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:15 AM

thanks for the tips guys, i am gonna give it a try this weekend, running low on meat in the freezer!
Old 10-20-2020, 11:11 AM

In the late 90's as a young MWD hand for Baker fresh out of College. I was teamed up with another young fellow from the Drumheller area (20+ years ago so can't remember his name) But was a really nice fellow and quite the accomplished bow hunter. Think he even held an AB white tail record at the time of some sort so might even be on here. Recall seeing some nice pics.............

Anyway he was telling me about fawn in distress calls and how well they work, being a kid from SK who just hunted around the farm, I didn't put too much thought into calls, thought he was BS'ing me.

So think we were heading into town (around Provost area I think but can't recall) for pizza and he stops the truck to show me. Just with his mouth and hands, he did a distress call to a doe a ways out in the field, and she turns her head and starts coming straight for the truck. Couldn't believe it, couldn't believe how well it worked. Little did I know...........

Which brings me to the good advice here. I have some supplemental doe tags for my lads and I this year in 164. Think I'll give that fawn in distress call a try!