Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-17-2020, 10:46 AM

Default elk in 509

Looking for any help in harvesting a bull this fall in WMU 509, Athabsca/Grassland/Alpac Area. Have heard of elk, seeing tracks but cant find any elk
Old 10-17-2020, 01:28 PM
Banned

Me too
I’d like to shoot a 6x6 also
Preferably 360” +
Will trade you intel for waterfowl hot spots from last year
Old 10-17-2020, 01:40 PM

Spend your time learning how to find elk...it will make harvesting one easier. Have you done all the work necessary to locate/ find elk? Do you call? Track? Glass? Do you know how to find where the Elk want/ like to be in that area? Once you've earned the skills needed to find and hunt them it becomes much easier to harvest them. It still often takes miles and miles of walking. Your not likely going to get the responses your after by asking the question you asked......tryone like this " can someone help me with tips on how to find my own Elk in wmu...."you'll get better responses...or just try it the lazy way and cross your fingers..
Old 10-17-2020, 02:11 PM

I have a 1/4 of land 12 ladder stands, 12 trail cameras ,have been hunting this land for 12 years, Dont kill a bull elk every year ,its a process do your part and maybe you will kill a Bull elk someday ,Success rate in Alberta is around 17% GOOD LUCK.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:32 PM

It’s a tough spot to get permission. The elk will be where the least pressure is. That could be land where getting permission is impossible or along the river in hard to get to areas. They are there though. It’s amazing what a guy sees when he doesn’t have a tag.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:24 PM

Good luck they are extremely pressured in archery season. And as stated move when they feel the pressure. Another 2 weeks and you will need a draw for 509 as well. I cant wait
Old 10-17-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Spend your time learning how to find elk...it will make harvesting one easier. Have you done all the work necessary to locate/ find elk? Do you call? Track? Glass? Do you know how to find where the Elk want/ like to be in that area? Once you've earned the skills needed to find and hunt them it becomes much easier to harvest them. It still often takes miles and miles of walking. Your not likely going to get the responses your after by asking the question you asked......tryone like this " can someone help me with tips on how to find my own Elk in wmu...."you'll get better responses...or just try it the lazy way and cross your fingers..
Lol thanks for the comment really added a lot to the thread. Since your being an smart ass anyway I’m pretty sure calling season is over now, so wouldn’t do much good.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
It’s a tough spot to get permission. The elk will be where the least pressure is. That could be land where getting permission is impossible or along the river in hard to get to areas. They are there though. It’s amazing what a guy sees when he doesn’t have a tag.
That’s for sure, a local farmer gave me permission but after a whole day out there we didn’t see anything
Old 10-17-2020, 03:58 PM

Fact is that nobody I know gives away Elk hot spots to anyone, unless its another trusted hunting partner.

It takes time,perseverance,effort and a little know-how before you find a productive area.

A large zone may only hold a few pockets of Elk,especially on public land.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblackfx4 View Post
That’s for sure, a local farmer gave me permission but after a whole day out there we didn’t see anything
A WHOLE DAY ,no use hunting there anymore
Old 10-17-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
A WHOLE DAY ,no use hunting there anymore
Ha ha.

I think the weather has them off today
Old 10-17-2020, 04:36 PM

That's too bad you didn't see my ad I was looking for two guys to come and hunt with me at at my cabin but I found two guys.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2020, 05:13 PM

My friend has a quarter of bush in 509. The elk are like ghosts, always on the move. Even when the season ends and the main pressure is over and it is just him on his property with a landowners tag, the elk never stay in one spot long.

Good luck, some bruisers in that zone.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Lol thanks for the comment really added a lot to the thread. Since your being an smart ass anyway I’m pretty sure calling season is over now, so wouldn’t do much good.
Um hum I'm a smart ass for sure. Your the guy asking other people to find you an Elk. Fyi you can still call Elk even now if you know how....which is what I asked. But you would rather someone tell you where to find your Elk. Like I said learn to hunt Elk and you won't need to ask. Good luck filling your tag
Old 10-17-2020, 08:10 PM

Some elk will still be callin we have called bulls right into the middle of November I couldn’t believe it when he came screaming in
Old 10-18-2020, 03:25 PM

If you won't put in the work, hire a guide. It only costs money to avoid all the inconvenience of spotting, trail cameras, getting permission, burning boot leather.

Other alternative

Safeway
395 St Albert Trail, St Albert, AB T8N 5Z9 Get directions
Inglewood

Grocery Stores, Gas Stations

Open until 11:00 pmCall
Old 10-18-2020, 03:33 PM

We really need a "Like" button
Old 10-18-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
You went a whole day and didn’t see anything? Hmmmm.
Elk hunting isn’t easy, there really is no secret to success other than what’s been stated in other threads. Success is hard won. Good luck in your search.

Craig
Old 10-18-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Some elk will still be callin we have called bulls right into the middle of November I couldn’t believe it when he came screaming in
I had bulls bugling all week. Killed my bull last night.
Between archery and rifle I had hunted 18 days for elk this year before I killed my bull. I have a cabin in the area and have hunted there for 8yrs and run 4-5 cameras from may to november.

35 Whelan is bang on. It takes a long time and a lot of hard work to kill elk consistently, thankfully I have filled my elk tag for the last three years in a row. I dont even tell family members where I hunt, theres enough pressure there as it is.

To the OP get out there spend as much time as possible, you may get lucky.
In my previous experience you will still be able to locate bulls by bugling now, but they wont necessarily come into the call. The elk are really starting to herd up. Seen a herd of 35-40 two nights ago.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If you won't put in the work, hire a guide. It only costs money to avoid all the inconvenience of spotting, trail cameras, getting permission, burning boot leather.

Other alternative

Safeway
Inglewood

^^This^^!!
You won't have to hunt for more than a day, dress warm....

Take Obsessed1's advice instead of taking offence to it, he's given you some solid info to make you a better elk hunter......
Old 10-19-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

Other alternative

Safeway
Inglewood

This is going to be my stock reply to these kinds of threads going forward. You are all welcome to copy and paste is as appropriate. Maybe the OPs will get the message, though I doubt it.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
^^This^^!!
You won't have to hunt for more than a day, dress warm....

Take Obsessed1's advice instead of taking offence to it, he's given you some solid info to make you a better elk hunter......
Lazy people will always take offence.. I put a thread up last year called Elk tactics in which I tried to give away most of the Elk hunting knowledge and skills I have developed and learned by scouting/ hunting/ observing Elk and others have graciously included their experience as well to help guys learn how to be successful. The only thing I/ they didn't add was the gps location of the bull..that's up to the hunter to find. Lazy people will always complain you didn't do enough and want a location. They should just open up their wallet then and compensate someone for doing all the hard work. I'd consider his post to be far more offensive than my response. I was actually trying to help him.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:29 AM

Default elk

Sad, this beginner did not realize that Obsessed1 a Elk Master took the time to give him some excellent advice and he had to spout nonsense back to him for his trouble.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Sad, this beginner did not realize that Obsessed1 a Elk Master took the time to give him some excellent advice and he had to spout nonsense back to him for his trouble.
First off let's get things straight. I'm NOT an Elk master. I just live right in the middle of them and have spent the last 15 years learning everything I can about them and have had the blessing of seeing them/ learning from them by watching and observing 365. By no means am I a master though...the dang critters make a fool of me often. But I have learned some things and am willing to help others learn who haven't had the daily Elk access I have enjoyed, but I'm not going to give gps location unless he's willing to pay.
For the record there are probably way more qualified Elk hunters on here than me...those guys don't give gps locations either....
Old 10-19-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Ha ha.

I think the weather has them off today

Posted at 3:51 in the afternoon?

HTH is that a whole day?

Isn't Safeway open till 11?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-19-2020, 12:02 PM

I hunt white tails up in 509. I’ve seen a ton of elk sign, but never an elk itself. Tons of hunting pressure out there, everyone I know who lives up there hunts.

We found a massive 6x6 set of elk antlers while out shed hunting, so there must be some big boys out there.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Lazy people will always take offence.. I put a thread up last year called Elk tactics in which I tried to give away most of the Elk hunting knowledge and skills I have developed and learned by scouting/ hunting/ observing Elk and others have graciously included their experience as well to help guys learn how to be successful. The only thing I/ they didn't add was the gps location of the bull..that's up to the hunter to find. Lazy people will always complain you didn't do enough and want a location. They should just open up their wallet then and compensate someone for doing all the hard work. I'd consider his post to be far more offensive than my response. I was actually trying to help him.
Yup, I remember your post. You shared some great information in that thread. It was much appreciated by the guys on here(myself included) who understand the work/time/money that goes into learning the animal they are hunting and the area it lives in. I think that is lost on the OP by the looks of his "one day" tough hunt....lol.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:09 PM

The OP is probably a beginner and will soon learn how selfish and secretive we all are, as hunters. Excluding a few who have gone out of their way to share some fantastic knowledge with the board.
But we don't have to be complete A-holes, either. A newbie would compare perhaps, to cooks who share recipes, travellers who share favourite destinations, hikers who share favourite routes...
Old 10-19-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoonpointboy View Post
The OP is probably a beginner and will soon learn how selfish and secretive we all are, as hunters. Excluding a few who have gone out of their way to share some fantastic knowledge with the board.
But we don't have to be complete A-holes, either. A newbie would compare perhaps, to cooks who share recipes, travellers who share favourite destinations, hikers who share favourite routes...
The OP has been on this board for 10 years so I don't really think he is a beginner. Even of he is, lots of us are willing to share recipes, we just aren't prepared to bake the cake and deliver it. The recipe was not enough, he wanted to know what spot on the cut line to stand to shoot an elk, and u call us selfish.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:46 PM

I’ve seen many of these threads and I’ve started a few myself. I don’t think the question being asked was much different that what many others have asked in the past where people didn’t go on the offensive. Despite some good advice on elk hunting, the biggest take-away from this thread could possibly be the results you’ll receive when asking questions or seeking advice usually mirrors the tone you take when asking those questions. If someone takes offence to your question just brush it off and don’t go on the offensive yourself. Once that happens all is lost and even those members that were willing to help at the start will remain silent.