Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2020, 06:48 PM

Default WIN card changes?

I tried a search through Tapatalk but didn’t bring anything up so here it goes.

I was buying my fishing license on Alberta realm this evening and noticed the expiry on my win card is the end of this month. So thought i may as well renew that while I’m logged in.
The only thing I could find for win was a Physical Win renewal for $3. I thought it used to be $10 or something for 5 or 10 years? So did the price go down?
This lead my to my wild Alberta when I googled Win card price Alberta. Their description said a one time activation fee of $8 and never expires once activated, purchase in Alberta relm for a $2 discount. Still doesn’t come to the $3 price I paid.
Whatever, I purchased the physical win for $3 and see what shows up in the mail I guess.

Has there been a change since I had my last card issued? No big deal as I have my fishing license printed and am good to go until it comes time to buy tags in the fall. But thought I’d see if someone on here can clarify this for me.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedCaper View Post
I tried a search through Tapatalk but didn’t bring anything up so here it goes.

I was buying my fishing license on Alberta realm this evening and noticed the expiry on my win card is the end of this month. So thought i may as well renew that while I’m logged in.
The only thing I could find for win was a Physical Win renewal for $3. I thought it used to be $10 or something for 5 or 10 years? So did the price go down?
This lead my to my wild Alberta when I googled Win card price Alberta. Their description said a one time activation fee of $8 and never expires once activated, purchase in Alberta relm for a $2 discount. Still doesn’t come to the $3 price I paid.
Whatever, I purchased the physical win for $3 and see what shows up in the mail I guess.

Has there been a change since I had my last card issued? No big deal as I have my fishing license printed and am good to go until it comes time to buy tags in the fall. But thought I’d see if someone on here can clarify this for me.
Thanks

That was my hack. The $3 goes directly to my bank account
Old 05-11-2020, 08:36 PM

Makes sense, your next Tim’s is on me

Old 05-12-2020, 09:28 AM

[QUOTE=DisplacedCaper;4168234]

No big deal as I have my fishing license printed and am good to go until it comes time to buy tags in the fall.

I've wondered about this........even thou you had a valid WIN when you purchased your licence (both for fishing and hunting) would you not be required to purchase a renewal WIN to be legal? I don't know if F+W check to see if you have a valid WIN if they do a field check on you.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:37 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Benelli1;4168583]
Quote:

No big deal as I have my fishing license printed and am good to go until it comes time to buy tags in the fall.

I've wondered about this........even thou you had a valid WIN when you purchased your licence (both for fishing and hunting) would you not be required to purchase a renewal WIN to be legal? I don't know if F+W check to see if you have a valid WIN if they do a field check on you.
Won't you have to have a valid win card to apply for your draws this year?
Old 05-12-2020, 09:45 AM

I’ve had a couple of license checks over the years but never asked for my win. You can’t buy tags without a win anyways, so I guess that’s why.
I seem to remember a win card was $10 for 5 or 10 years or something like that. This is my first time trying on to renew on Alberta relm too. Who knows what I’m getting for the $3. A reprint maybe?
I’m not putting any draws in this year, so that’s not a worry. When the fall comes and I get my tags I’ll just go to CT or something and renew my win if need be.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:04 PM

Go to the fishin hole not China Tire
Old 05-12-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Go to the fishin hole not China Tire
???????

What does this have to do with the OP's question?

Last edited by flyrodfisher; 05-12-2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:28 PM

I was told the other day that the win card is now good for life by a vendor. Something about it costs just a few extra bucks to get a permanent card if you want one. If nobody else posts about this I will get some clarification as to the whole show from her.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I’ve had a couple of license checks over the years but never asked for my win. You can’t buy tags without a win anyways, so I guess that’s why.
I seem to remember a win card was $10 for 5 or 10 years or something like that. This is my first time trying on to renew on Alberta relm too. Who knows what I’m getting for the $3. A reprint maybe?
I’m not putting any draws in this year, so that’s not a worry. When the fall comes and I get my tags I’ll just go to CT or something and renew my win if need be.

I had the opposite happen where I forgot my license but had my win. He was able to check my win card and confirmed I had a license. That was at Isogun lake and this guy flew in with a ultralight onto the ice. What a cool job he had just cruising around fox creek area. Nice guy also.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:17 PM

Seems to be $6 for a "WiN Activation 2020" and it states:

Quote:
Physical Cards are no longer required to activate a Wildlife Identification Number. If a physical WiN Card is preferred one can be purchased for an additional cost at any time.
The physical card is $3 so perhaps you were only able to order a replacement card but not a renewal until it expires?

With taxes a renewal and card come to $9.45.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:43 PM

I talked to the vendor this morning and here is what she told me. From now on when your WIN card expires you pay like $9.00 or so. That gets you a virtual WIN card that is good for life and you don't have to renew it again.

If you want the actual WIN card it costs $3.00 more to get it after you renew your card. For guys like me that don't have a cell phone I would want the actual card to use.

This is what she told me this morning.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:47 PM

my WIN renewal was automatically attached to my checkout when I bought my fishing license.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:51 PM

Default Resistance is Futile

Quote:
Resistance is Futile
If you have a smart phone, get the app (AlbertaRELM) for cryin' out loud. No more WIN card, no more licenses to carry. Oh yeah, keep your phone charged
Old 05-13-2020, 03:47 PM

So there has been changes to this. I suspect I bought a reissue of my current card for the $3 then. That expires at the end of this month lol
Thanks guys!
And no fish this morning, but it was time well spentAdjustments.JPG

Old 09-08-2020, 07:07 PM

So what happened with this? I was just getting ready to buy my licenses for the year, and noticed my Win Card expires next month. Going through the same ordeal you did by what I've read. Although I haven't re-ordered the physical card yet.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 09-08-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
So what happened with this? I was just getting ready to buy my licenses for the year, and noticed my Win Card expires next month. Going through the same ordeal you did by what I've read. Although I haven't re-ordered the physical card yet.

I forgot about it until I purchased my upland game and wildlife certificate a couple of weeks ago. I had to pay $6 to activate my win card. Which is supposedly a one time activation fee. I still have no idea if the card will expire in 10 years or not, but I now have a virtual win card in the Alberta relm app.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I forgot about it until I purchased my upland game and wildlife certificate a couple of weeks ago. I had to pay $6 to activate my win card. Which is supposedly a one time activation fee. I still have no idea if the card will expire in 10 years or not, but I now have a virtual win card in the Alberta relm app.

Ok, sounds like I'll have to wait until October to renew then. $6 isn't to bad if it doesn't expire.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 09-08-2020, 08:57 PM

Straight from AlbertaRELM:

-"Beginning April 27, 2020 the new virtual WIN card never expires and renewals are never needed again".

-"New virtual WIN card activation requires a one-time $8.00 fee (plus GST)".

If you want a physical card, it's an extra $3.00, and you can't renew until your old one expires.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:11 PM

Now if they could teach albertarelm to memorize my win number so I don't have to look through my wallet for my card every time I sign in.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Now if they could teach albertarelm to memorize my win number so I don't have to look through my wallet for my card every time I sign in.
Use a password manager such as LastPass to remember it.

Speaking of the physical WIN cards, are they mailing those out currently? I ordered one 4-5 months ago and it still hasn't shown up. And yes, I paid the extra for the physical card.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Straight from AlbertaRELM:

-"Beginning April 27, 2020 the new virtual WIN card never expires and renewals are never needed again".

-"New virtual WIN card activation requires a one-time $8.00 fee (plus GST)".

If you want a physical card, it's an extra $3.00, and you can't renew until your old one expires.
This .......... Renewed yesterday at licence vendor $8.00 + .40 GST = $8.40 total, virtual never expires, or so I was told

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:20 PM

Default Virtual card

At Cabelas last week buying hunting licenses they point out that my WIN expired in June. I need a new one for $8.00 buts its virtual - and good forever.
Clerk - that'll be $8.00 but its virtual so you don't actually get the card but its good forever.
Me - but I don;t want the WIN card just the licences
Clerk - you need to buy the WIN card first.
Me - I thought you said no more WIN card?
Clerk - right
Me - So I still have to pay?
Clerk - yes. But its the last time.
Me - But I pay and don't get anything except the right to not buy any more cards?
Clerk - yes.
Me - shut up and pay.

Sounds same as the guys selling mountain fresh air in a jar for some stupid price. At least with that you get a jar out of it.
kidd
Old 09-09-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
Use a password manager such as LastPass to remember it.

Speaking of the physical WIN cards, are they mailing those out currently? I ordered one 4-5 months ago and it still hasn't shown up. And yes, I paid the extra for the physical card.

I'm wondering the same thing. I ordered mine about the first week of May and also paid the extra 3 dollars and haven't received the physical card yet either. May need to make a phone call soon.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Lvr View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. I ordered mine about the first week of May and also paid the extra 3 dollars and haven't received the physical card yet either. May need to make a phone call soon.

Was digging through the RELM FAQ.
Quote:
When can I expect to receive my physical WIN card in the mail?

WIN cards take approximately 3-5 weeks for delivery from the date of purchase. If your card was ordered more than 5 weeks ago and you have not received it, please go to the Contact Us page and send us your information so that we can follow up.
https://www.albertarelm.com/cust.contactus.page

Just to make it easier for you
Old 09-10-2020, 12:22 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to look into that.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:30 PM

Default WIN Card changes 2020

My WIN card had expired so I renewed it and ordered a Physical Card on August 20 and October 1 I still didn't receive one. So I called Alberta Relm and was told that their was a delay and I should be getting it sometime throughout the week. So I called again on October 10 and was told that they haven't even got any of them made yet because of Covid 19 but to use the Online WIN app in the meantime. I called the next day to see if it was true and got a different agent and sure enough she said the WIN cards haven't been made yet. So I wonder why did they lie to me the first time I called and why did they not post it in Alberta Relm so people who are waiting for their physical cards know what's going on? I'm wondering if those who ordered a Physical WIN like I did will ever get them; and why sell it online knowing full well that their not making them due to supposedly Covid 19? Yet drivers licenses, Social Security Cards, Birth certificates etc are being made everyday? It didn't slow them down for hunting draws either.

I asked when they where going to be making them and send them out and both of them didn't know and couldn't tell me.

Last edited by Shannon576; 10-19-2020 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:11 PM

I received the same response as Shannon had except via return email. Still waiting. I’m hanging on to my existing expired card until the new card arrives. Why a notice wasn’t posted about card delays would have been a good idea but I’m not in charge. I guess government offices don’t have to think like retailers and would save them lots of emails/phone calls.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:31 PM

Could be a seniors discount, sometimes systems are smart like that.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:31 AM

Yup, still haven't gotten mine from May. I contacted the RELM website through email in September and they said "The shipment has been delayed due to technical problems. They should be resolved shortly."