Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2020, 09:59 PM

Default Snowbirds what are your Plans this Winter ?????

Last March before we departed for Canada we booked our 4 month condo rental in Palm Springs for 2021. This weekend we spoke to the owner and cancelled before we had to make our final payment, as we’re concerned the border will still be closed to recreational vehicle travel and were not prepared to take the risk with covid or even what happens after the election. Were told lots of Cdn’s won’t be traveling south and we will be missed.

This would have been our 7th year hiding from winter down south. Other than spending time starting new threads on A/O or ice fishin on Sylvan or Gull with Lost Arrow, if he’s interested, it’s going to be a long cold winter. Perhaps a few garage engineered saw dust projects will help pass the time, don’t see us traveling any where’s this winter.

For those who travel south, what are your plans?

Cheers

D.

Old 10-18-2020, 10:43 PM

Bump ...

Old 10-18-2020, 11:45 PM

Place booked for December, if not driving, flying there. Golf and heat will be nice, maybe cheaper green fee's too....
Old 10-19-2020, 01:03 AM

lets go fishin this winter
Old 10-19-2020, 06:32 AM

Not going to Costa Rica this Winter. Cancelled our rental a long time ago. Looks like lots of ice fishing, snow shoeing, chopping wood and some shop projects that never seemed to get done.

Maybe there should be an AO Snowbird fishing tournament!!
Old 10-19-2020, 06:38 AM

We spent 11 winters in Arizona, loved it there, came home for 2 weeks over X-mass, then wammm diagnosed with CLL, insurance went through the roof and soon became way to expensive and most things were considered pre existing so not covered at all, we sold our place 2 years ago and I have now spent 2 winters in Canada.

Spend time hiding in the brush making a noise like a dying rabbit, after all these years it still gets the adrenaline flowing when old Wiley comes trotting in, coffee row every morning with others that winter here, putter around in my heated garage on various little projects.

Last 2 years have also extended my hunting season to end of November locally here, it's fun to tramp the slough bottoms and push bush for the boy's again. Of course we had a ton of snow last winter here so the snow blower got lots of use, also did a couple neighbor's driveways that work.

The grandkids love the fact that we are home all winter now cause I make a fresh batch of jerky every week and usually a large pot of some kind of home made soup to share.

Trust me you will find things to do and it's not so bad.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:44 AM

it’s going to be a long cold winter.

THIS! We usually get to Mexico for a week late November/early December. Then another two weeks sometime mid to late February. Wife has some health issues end even without that in the way I don't think we would be going.

Just got the ceilings painted in the house, hired that out, so now we can paint the walls. Lots of other projects to take care of around the place. I'm sure gonna miss the beaches in Mexico!
Old 10-19-2020, 07:22 AM

Default Snow Birds

Selling the house in AZ. Will take the profits and buy something on or near a lake in Southern AB or South Eastern BC.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:01 AM

Still trying to get to mexico.Westjet flights cancelled in sept/oct and now nov.Hopefully they will fly in dec
Old 10-19-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccam1 View Post
Selling the house in AZ. Will take the profits and buy something on or near a lake in Southern AB or South Eastern BC.
I think a lot of people in Canada and stateside are doing exactly that. Real estate in the Shuswap, Okanagan area has jumped up quite a bit this fall. The same could be said about Arizona, with the current COVID restrictions globally, many Americans that would usually fly the coop will be buying things up in the Southwest and Southern States.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:29 AM

Default Mexico

8 weeks in Mexico! Not this year! Got the place booked for 2022!
Old 10-19-2020, 08:37 AM

I have a plan, question being to execute it. SW US is accessible by air and one can move without social isolation among several states. Having said that, the political situation could be unstable, to see the least, after the election, travel insurance could be a problem and the air line might go broke while I'm there. More renovations after Christmas, It would seem.

Grizz
Old 10-19-2020, 08:39 AM

We are not snowbirds but, the ones that we know are either selling their properties in Arizona, cancelling their holidays and going to BC or are just going to stay home for the winter.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:02 AM

My insurance provider informed me that my coverage is only good if l leave the country for work . Vacations are no longer covered . I think that is going to be the biggest hurdle , getting travel insurance . Therefore , winter activities are back on the table for us .
Old 10-19-2020, 09:59 AM

I'm going to Vauxhall Ab to pick up a pig at the butchers. That's south right??
Old 10-19-2020, 10:11 AM

Too much uncertainty in the world to book anything, the plague, health insurance and going somewhere in a flying Petri dish just doesn't sound like a good idea.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hunt View Post
Still trying to get to mexico.Westjet flights cancelled in sept/oct and now nov.Hopefully they will fly in dec

As far as I can tell, Westjet flights to Mexico are still a go.
I know several people booked....website lets me search flights and book??
Old 10-19-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
My insurance provider informed me that my coverage is only good if l leave the country for work . Vacations are no longer covered . I think that is going to be the biggest hurdle , getting travel insurance . Therefore , winter activities are back on the table for us .
The “Travel Lady” on Global news did a segment a couple of weeks ago and said you could get insurance for vacation. It’s pricey though. Must depend on the provider?
Old 10-19-2020, 11:13 AM

Looks like I'm not going to be the only one staying close to home this winter.

As for travel insurance, we used Johnson Medoc for supplementary travel & recently were advised they will be covering for covid in the USA. One of our concerns is the USA hospital system is some states is so overwhelmed if we got ill would they even take CDN's, I'm sure they would, however, we would most likely get our azz home as quick as we could & that would mean we leave early and the owner sure wouldn't give us our rental money back.

The TV said this morning that the Govt extended the non-essential travel US border closure to the end of November, so we couldn't drive down if we wanted to.

D.

Were would you rather be today?

Sylvan Lake on the beach ....

Palm Springs at the pool ....

Old 10-19-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
The “Travel Lady” on Global news did a segment a couple of weeks ago and said you could get insurance for vacation. It’s pricey though. Must depend on the provider?
Air Canada, West Jet and Sunwing have the insurance built into their prices now for destination trips. As it stands you still have to quarantine 14 days when you come home though.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
Air Canada, West Jet and Sunwing have the insurance built into their prices now for destination trips. As it stands you still have to quarantine 14 days when you come home though.
Sunwing has built in insurance

Your Sunwing vacation package or air only booking now includes COVID-19 Coverage. As part of our Safe with Sunwing commitment, we’re providing insurance underwritten by The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company ("Manulife") to help cover emergency medical or quarantine costs in the unlikely event that you contact COVID-19 on vacation. When you book your all inclusive vacation or Sunwing flight between September 17, 2020, and October 31, 2020, you’ll receive coverage at no additional cost!

What to know about the COVID-19 Emergency Medical Insurance - Sunwing:

You’ll automatically receive coverage at no additional cost if you book an all inclusive vacation package (with Sunwing Airlines flights) or a flight on Sunwing Airlines between September 17th, 2020, and October 31st, 2020
The plan is applicable for departures between October 16th, 2020 to May 31st, 2021, for a maximum duration of 21 days of travel
Up to $200,000 for medical expenses related to COVID-19, such as medical consultations, specialty care, hospital admittance, surgery, cost of air ambulance, if medically necessary, and intensive care
For more information about the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions, please view the full policy.

Hmm? book a trip in February and hope for the best?
Old 10-19-2020, 07:31 PM

We have been going to Arizona for part of winter for 15 yrs & full winter time snowbirds for 7 yearS.

Sold our place in Mesa & staying home this winter. although when allowed will travel by vehicle to Arizona to deal with our Personal goods now in storage.

Our travel insurance has sent us notice that Covid insurance coverage was available. No indication of cost and whether that coverage was excluding any preexidting conditions. Previously our travel insurance was darned expensive, big deductible, and only available through select insurance CO’s and excluded All preexisting. Not much fun when communicating with our insurance broker as it is only bring on bad news.

But Plans for next year are undecided as Mrs Offwork wife has a compelling way of communicating about her spending winter in snow country vs Arizona.

I will be seeking a special draw cow elk in the mid winter season.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:44 PM

Interesting old article (Mid-Sept) published on KESQ NEWS Palm Springs website.

Covid & the border closure's economic impact will see approx. 15 million less visitors arrive in the Cochella Valley which spent $5.9 billion dollars last year & generated $687 million in state and local taxes, equivalent to $4,031 in tax savings for every household.

Told you they'll miss us. It's a long read but interesting.

Link .... https://kesq.com/news/2020/09/14/i-t...winter-season/

D.

I-Team Investigation: Snowbird wings clipped this upcoming desert season. Some Snowbirds will stay home this winter and skip their annual winter migration south to the Coachella Valley for our sunshine and warm temperatures.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:58 PM

Oct 16th - Another NEWS Update ... these people sure want us Cdn's to travel south.

Link to full article .... https://kesq.com/news/2020/10/16/can...der-reopening/

As an agreement for US-Canadian border limitations nears its end, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau alluded to another potential extension to maintain a closure between the 2 countries.

In an interview on Wednesday with hosts of a Canadian radio talk show, "The Start" on Global News, Trudeau was asked whether the border would remain closed. He replied saying, “We keep extending the border closures because the United States is not in a place where we would feel comfortable reopening those borders. We will continue to make sure that Canadian safety is top of mind when we move forward. We see the cases in the United States and elsewhere in the world and we need to continue to keep these border controls in place."

D.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
[SIZE="3"]Looks like I'm not going to be the only one staying close to home this winter.

As for travel insurance, we used Johnson Medoc for supplementary travel & recently were advised they will be covering for covid in the USA. One of our concerns is the USA hospital system is some states is so overwhelmed if we got ill would they even take CDN's, I'm sure they would, however, we would most likely get our azz home as quick as we could & that would mean we leave early and the owner sure wouldn't give us our rental money back.

The TV said this morning that the Govt extended the non-essential travel US border closure to the end of November, so we couldn't drive down if we wanted to.
Pretty sure it would be illegal for them NOT to see you based solely on your nationality. Every hospital I've ever been in has a notice that you have a right to be seen and treated before going on a long list of thing like race, religion, ability to pay, gender etc....
Old 10-19-2020, 09:27 PM

I heard an apparently true story that a Canadian drove to the US from Canada. At the border, they told the agent that they had a place in the USA, it was affected by flooding and they had to go deal with the mess. They had to give their address and when they go there, Homeland Security was waiting and demanded a tour. When it was clear that the flood had not happened, they apparently got deported, with no ability to travel to the US for 5 years.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
From experiences i have had in the past with Airlines (west jet , aircanada) and claims with them i personally would be very leery about anything they offer .But thats just me . Odds are you could go and come back without any problems ,i just dont get a warm fuzzy from airline companies anymore .

A wise man once said " you get what you pay for "
Old 10-19-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Last I looked...if you broke a leg you could leave the US debt free. If you were hospitalized with serious Covid...you would lose your home and savings in Canada.

The maximum coverage is not sufficient. Unless they increased it significantly since I last looked.

FYI

Sunwing. Air Canada. West jet. $200,000 coverage

This guys bill was $1.1 million

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/br...ill-2020-06-16
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-19-2020, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I heard an apparently true story that a Canadian drove to the US from Canada. At the border, they told the agent that they had a place in the USA, it was affected by flooding and they had to go deal with the mess. They had to give their address and when they go there, Homeland Security was waiting and demanded a tour. When it was clear that the flood had not happened, they apparently got deported, with no ability to travel to the US for 5 years.
That same story was circulating around here too about a neighbor who has a place in Kalispell, exact same story almost word for word. Turned out to not be true.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I'm curious how this relates to snowbird plans for the winter? Either way, if this story is true and a non citizen/resident lied to get into the country, it absolutely makes sense they would be deported and barred entry. No different than those Americans claiming to be headed to Alaska only to be found touring in Banff and Jasper this year.