Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-19-2020, 09:10 PM

There's the law ..... and I guess as long as he bought the tag before he shot the animal he has not broken the law. And if this means the guy was pulled over at the side of the road getting a tag as he was watching the quarry - he's still "legal"

Then there's the ethical side of it ........... and these, my friends, are going to vary depending on how you see it.

I am thinking that would be a little unethical and a little greasy. But hey, it wasn't illegal - so who am I to judge.

But I can see a guy going on a Moose trip, and after spotting deer all day, maybe buying a tag that night in hopes of harvesting one the next day - somehow that seems OK to me - and not greasy at all.

I guess there's a grey area in terms of ethics and perspective.

It also proves context is everything when it comes to perspective.

Legally - it's pretty clear.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:07 PM

Default Could be better.

Make it illegal to carry a blank tag in the field or vehicle while hunting.
Every tag on your person or in your vehicle while hunting has to be attached to a license.
Just like not being able to carry other peoples tags.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
A simple solution would be for a 24 hours wait period before the purchased licence is valid.
I believe when you purchase tags online on RELM, you have to acknowledge or there is a statement about purchasing 24 hours before the tag become legal?
It has been a few months since I bought them but I am almost sure. I could also be defiantly wrong LOL
Old 10-20-2020, 03:52 PM

Pain in the butt getting tags on line way easier to just grab a mitt full from CT or whichever Sport Goods you happen to stop by before season starts.

I would support the 24 hr clause tho too many willing to Bend the law out there as it is.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:14 PM

if someone is driving/ walking around looking for an animal, then spots the animal and quickly buys a tag online and shoots it... would they not have been hunting before they bought the tag???

I thought the definition of hunting included 'the looking for it' part
Old 10-20-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetalker View Post

I would support the 24 hr clause tho too many willing to Bend the law out there as it is.
Ya, then you’d get the guys out there that are “shooting coyotes”, until the tag is valid or have zero intention of buying the tag at all

As others have stated, its great in the case where you come across a different quarry than the one you’re hunting and decide to purchase a tag.

The unfortunate side will be the people that go hunting, aren’t successful, and never end up buying the tag. But if they’re out there doing that, than they’re probably not doing a lot of other things properly either.

At the end of the day, we can have all the rules we want as outdoorsmen, but if nobody is out there enforcing them, then its a moot point.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post

At the end of the day, we can have all the rules we want as outdoorsmen, but if nobody is out there enforcing them, then its a moot point.
You nailed it! And the rules have to apply to everyone.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:12 AM

Default Let's not get too hasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
A simple solution would be for a 24 hours wait period before the purchased licence is valid.
There is no need for 24 hours, but next calendar day at most. So if I purchase my licence at 3:30 pm on Tuesday, then Wednesday morning should be valid..not after Wednesday 3:31 pm. Makes more sense since next day presents new setting/environment/sunset/sunrise and would avoid potential same day.

Personally, I am okay if someone sees quarry and then purchases and then shoots (that's legal), just not sees quarry, and then shoots and then purchases (that's poaching). Let's not complicate things, just keep it LEGAL and have less government intervention --- they have enough intervention as it is.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaselBeard View Post
There is no need for 24 hours, but next calendar day at most. So if I purchase my licence at 3:30 pm on Tuesday, then Wednesday morning should be valid..not after Wednesday 3:31 pm. Makes more sense since next day presents new setting/environment/sunset/sunrise and would avoid potential same day.

Personally, I am okay if someone sees quarry and then purchases and then shoots (that's legal), just not sees quarry, and then shoots and then purchases (that's poaching). Let's not complicate things, just keep it LEGAL and have less government intervention --- they have enough intervention as it is.
I have bought my fishing license at a gas station the same morning we are going fishing... I likely have done the same with a hunting license. Why is this a bad thing?

LC
Old 10-22-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I have bought my fishing license at a gas station the same morning we are going fishing... I likely have done the same with a hunting license. Why is this a bad thing?

LC
There's nothing wrong with that and it's legal but now there's the option to shoot first and then buy your license which is illegal

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
There's nothing wrong with that and it's legal but now there's the option to shoot first and then buy your license which is illegal

The option to shoot first and then buy your license already existed for poachers before, this does not change the 'poaching' scenario. Poaching is illegal, but the poacher will be a poacher will be a poacher will be a poacher......this just puts more things complicated to say well you cannot purchase a license and use it until later (even if the season is open), then to put it. Government just wants money, so they don't place enforcement on purchasing all licenses BEFORE the season even starts (which would be non-sense as sometimes land permission or life happens which brings about changes even during season)... How many POACHERS do you expect from this...1%, or 10%, or 80%. My experience is most will have tags already purchased, but an opportunity my present itself in the field and there should not be any TIMING restrictions as a waiting period. Just do your job and make sure you can legally shoot an animal (i.e. you have a legal license and tag for said animal) BEFORE you shoot. Simple stuff. Let's not start policing each other if there is nothing illegally being done.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post

That option has always existed... although now things are technically easier with online purchases. A license is still a 2 piece thing... tag and license. They should have maintained the requirement of a paper copy license printout. Not many guys carry those in the field with them.

LC
Old 10-22-2020, 05:13 PM

Yes but now you can shoot first and buy your license in the field with your smartphone

Old 10-22-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Not a concern of mine

If someone shoots a deer and then buys the tag, at least he bought the tag. Yup he did it in reverse order, but he bought a tag.

Beats the hell out of someone else shooting 10 moose without a license just because they can
Or 30 nice elk at Suffield some years ago.....?
Old 10-23-2020, 10:55 PM

I realy dont get the guys who always worry about how and what someone else could possibly do wrong . Go hunting , enjoy the outdoors and mind your own business. If you care so much go become a game warden. If someone breaks the law it will eventually catch up to them.
I just happen to have a couple of inlaws that require no tag pruchase of any kind and can do what they want because of there blood line . Go bitch about them.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travco1 View Post
I realy dont get the guys who always worry about how and what someone else could possibly do wrong . Go hunting , enjoy the outdoors and mind your own business. If you care so much go become a game warden. If someone breaks the law it will eventually catch up to them.
I just happen to have a couple of inlaws that require no tag pruchase of any kind and can do what they want because of there blood line . Go bitch about them.
Well said. X2
Old 10-25-2020, 06:39 PM

I think it’s good they made this happen I bet they will sell more tags. For the guys worried about people shooting first and purchasing second that was already happening with people just running into town to buy a tag and hoping it’ll be there when they get back. I dont support a 24 hour “wait time” for electronic tags guys would still just drive into town and buy a tag poachers always find a way.

I would also like to see a tag your not required to put on the animal. Something like a notch you cut out, I’ve had those stickers not stick in super cold snowy weather and have had people loose them when dragging a buck out long distances. why do you need to fold a tag on the same leg as proof of species and sex when we judge the game with what’s in there head. And dont well me that having a tag on the leg stops poachers. They could be driving around with a head and a tagged leg just filling up freezers poacher poach that’s there jam.