Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-19-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblackfx4 View Post
Lol thanks for the comment really added a lot to the thread. Since your being an smart ass anyway I’m pretty sure calling season is over now, so wouldn’t do much good.

Second rut is still on. I’ve had bulls run in to cow calls harder in Oct than Sep.
Heard lots of bugling last week compared to Sep 17-21.
So if you’re willing to learn, you can take heed to the comments here or learn the hard way over several years of making mistakes with a smart animal
Old 10-19-2020, 05:42 PM

No.

There is no such thing as a second rut.

Everyone here is lying to you. The rut only happens for one week in Sept.

It is over and you’ll never be able to get a bull out of that one week window.

It is best you stay home.

Don’t listen to this crazy talk.

If you don’t get an elk after hunting real hard for one whole day.... it’s just not gonna happen.

Oh.. there’s no huntable elk south of highway one either.

Don’t look there ever.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-19-2020, 06:18 PM

I'll add a different perspective to this discussion,

Over the past 10-15 years or so I've noted a significant change in attitude from one where most hunters wanted to harvest their bull/buck but the experience of getting out into the woods was the primary draw of hunting to one where 'keeping score', filling your tag is the primary emphasis.

I've noticed it more among younger hunters but have seen it in older ones as well.

More emphasis on 'long range hunting' than stalking and walking the woods.

More reliance on technology (how many here can use a compass and topo map to navigate) a d whiz-bang super-magnums to compensate for marksmanship and fieldcraft?

I see this as consistent with the evolution of western civilization generally, less personal accountability, I want what you have and you should give it to me for free, this is just the hunting context
Old 10-19-2020, 06:25 PM

I'll be honest with you. A long time member, who is on this thread, suggested these threads be deleted. For my last 6 months or so as a mod, I just deleted them. I hope one of the other mods do likewise.

For anyone who really has a hankering for elk without the work, like the OP, let me steer you in the best direction...

Smokin Elk Ranch
Bill & Carolin Visscher Morinville,
Alberta (780)939-5659
smokinelkranch@xplornet.ca

Very nice people. I taught one of their children.
Right on highway outside of Morinville.
If you buy a whole animal, Bill might even let you shoot it.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:41 PM

There was and likely still is an outfitter with lots of the land tied up north of Athabasca in the best elk country.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The OP has been on this board for 10 years so I don't really think he is a beginner. Even of he is, lots of us are willing to share recipes, we just aren't prepared to bake the cake and deliver it. The recipe was not enough, he wanted to know what spot on the cut line to stand to shoot an elk, and u call us selfish.
was just looking for some general advice when everyone has to chew me up and spit me out! Dont need directions to Safeway or to be told im not trying hard enough... Jeeze.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Looking for any help in harvesting a bull this fall in WMU 509, Athabsca/Grassland/Alpac Area. Have heard of elk, seeing tracks but cant find any elk
I gave you good advice on how to help you fill your tag and you called me a smart ass. Then you made a smart ass remark about elk not bugleing..which shows exactly how much you don't know about elk, and you spent all of one day looking? Yet you want one of us to help you? I gave you the best advice you'll likely get. I attempted to teach you how to hunt elk. Most times hunting Elk is not an easy task and takes hundreds of hours each season. Now your back whining cause no one gave you a GPS location and called you out for being lazy? Here's an idea stop looking for the easy way and put in the effort just like the rest of us. I'll say it again spend your time learning to hunt elk...filling a tag will become easier.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:30 AM

Default elk

I learned a trick many years ago to find elk. You find a track, you follow it and by golly always seems to turn up an elk.
PS Also when I have back tracked on my footsteps, they always took me right back to my truck, go figure.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I learned a trick many years ago to find elk. You find a track, you follow it and by golly always seems to turn up an elk.
PS Also when I have back tracked on my footsteps, they always took me right back to my truck, go figure.
Holy crap...that might just work! I think you are onto something BGW!
Old 11-09-2020, 12:41 PM

Some interesintg info here

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/cdeb...urvey-2018.pdf

Before reading this, I did not know that these elk originated from 1960s transplants from Elk Island.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I gave you good advice on how to help you fill your tag and you called me a smart ass. Then you made a smart ass remark about elk not bugleing..which shows exactly how much you don't know about elk, and you spent all of one day looking? Yet you want one of us to help you? I gave you the best advice you'll likely get. I attempted to teach you how to hunt elk. Most times hunting Elk is not an easy task and takes hundreds of hours each season. Now your back whining cause no one gave you a GPS location and called you out for being lazy? Here's an idea stop looking for the easy way and put in the effort just like the rest of us. I'll say it again spend your time learning to hunt elk...filling a tag will become easier.
I was asking for help, sorry I don’t sit on here waiting for you to respond, I’m not coming back whining I have better things to do than bicker with you online.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
I was asking for help, sorry I don’t sit on here waiting for you to respond, I’m not coming back whining I have better things to do than bicker with you online.
This defines bickering online lol.

IBTL