Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-19-2020, 06:42 PM

Default Snow Conditions WMU 406

Hey All,

I am headed out to WMU 406 next weekend with a friend to try and fill our draw tags (antlered whitetail & mulie), and was just wondering what the snow conditions were like? Is there a decent snow pack forming in the alpine? Enough to make the mulies start moving towards wintering areas? Or at least to slightly lower elevations? We will be bringing snowshoes (for him) and my back country skis with skins (because they are simply superior), so if the animals are up in some deep stuff, they can still be theoretically chased. Hopefully, hiking boots and gators will suffice.

Any heads up from recent travellers/locals would be greatly appreciated. However, barring any fresh intel, we will start at the east side of the WMU and start working westwards until we find what we’re looking for (hopefully)! Thanks in advance.

Tom
Old 10-19-2020, 08:08 PM

You won’t need snowshoes. Antlerless deer are everywhere out there I’m sure you won’t have to work to hard to find what your looking for. Just dress warm and hang out on cut lines.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:41 PM

This was Oct 17. Close to eastern boundary of 406 and McLean PLUZ.
More snow than in Calgary. Some spots had drifts, some were blown fairly bare. More snow fell on the weekends. I never measured the depth but you can gauge by the snow on the logs in the pic.
Walking would be okay. No problems for quads.
Southern slopes should see some melting soon.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:20 PM

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the input. Ya, it is calling for this cold snap to last through Saturday and then get progressively more warm for a few days while we’re there. Those first couple of nights I can foresee loving my heavy duty insulated tent and stove haha. Looks like just enough snow to make it interesting, and ensure you come back every night partially/fully wet.

Think the bucks might be starting some pre-rut heating up? Or still a bit early? Do the deer get squirrelly faster a little higher up, or are we still looking at a mod-November rut? Thanks again!
Old 10-20-2020, 09:55 PM

I live in 410. What these guys said, hiking boots or a insulated rubber boot will definitely suffice. I would say the rut action is on par with the rest of the province.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:43 AM

I was out in the North part of 406 this week,around 8 inches of snow. Checked my trail cams. Not many tracks and deer few and far between in my usual areas.
Went out to the southern part yesterday,very little snow, and deer numbers,tracks seem lower there than normal years also. Saw Cat tracks in both areas,the deer may be in the heavy cover staying safe.

The upcoming Rut may get them moving soon though.