Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweb View Post
It's going to be a deadly set up.

Congrats man!
Cheers.

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:36 PM

Looks like I now have a Jiffy Model 30, Eskimo HC-40 Propane & a new Makita Cordless Hammer Drill with Strikemaster Lite-Flite to start the hard water season with, pleased it comes with 2 batteries in case 1 goes down the hole.

Nicely done, Scott.

D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
Pulled the trigger on the Strikemaster Lite-Flite 8" model today from BPS. Looks like the best option for the style of fishing I enjoy.

Also decided on the drill to pair it with. I was originally looking at the Rigid Octane kit from Home Depot but it only came w/a 3AH battery which meant I needed to buy a second higher capacity one. All in it was going to run $350.

I did some further research and ended up pulling the trigger on the Makita XPH07MB 18V LXT Li/Ion Brushless Cordless 1/2" Hammer DriverDrill Kit w/2 4Ah batteries. Very close to the Rigid at 1,091/lbs torque and has a better/faster charger.

All in I'm at $550 which just happens to be what I sold my Eskimo HC-40 Propane unit to Zip-in-Z.

So win-win-win for me and by that I mean I'm happy, Zip's happy and my wife can't complain about me spending more dough on fishing gear!...lol.

Now hurry up and freeze already!!!

Cheers,

Scott.

Old 10-28-2019, 03:00 PM

Part 1 arrived today.

Looks very well built and I really like the blade/point design. Should make for quick clean holes and I can see how this will allow for connected holes easily where the pistol bit would not.

Drill is expected to arrive by Nov. 9th so I'll update then!

C'mon Ice Ice Baby!!!

As for the ice, It has begun!...

Cheers,

Scott.

Last edited by bwackwabbit; 10-28-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:55 PM

Scott ..... from the pic's it looks like it's well constructed with 2 decent auger blades, it's good the unit has that oversized HD Disc secured to the auger otherwise I could see the auger coming off the drill & easily going down the hole. They also have a decent drill point which should be easy to pilot 2 x 8" holes side-x-side. If not provided, you need to invest in a good file & honing tool/stone to keep those blades razor sharp.

Can hardly wait to do a head-to-head test to see how it performs in comparison to either my Gas or new Propane auger.

What do you think the combined drill/auger weighs ?

EDIT: You should change the Tread Title.

Cheers

D.

Quote:
Part 1 arrived today.

Looks very well built and I really like the blade/point design. Should make for quick clean holes and I can see how this will allow for connected holes easily where the pistol bit would not.

Drill is expected to arrive by Nov. 9th so I'll update then!

C'mon Ice Ice Baby!!!

Cheers,

Scott.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:04 PM

Agreed, I've watched a few YouTube videos on the sharpening process on the big strikemasters. Seems easy enough. Overall pretty happy with it.

Flite weighs in at 5.3lbs and the net weight on the drill with battery is 5.9lbs so just about 11lbs all in.

Everything I've seen online suggests these things will blow away traditional augers in all but the thick stuff. So we shall see.

Excited to get back on the ice runnin' and gunnin' !

Cheers,

Scott.

Last edited by bwackwabbit; 10-28-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:33 PM

I just noticed that the eskimo pistol bit have a center point now, hoping it’s something that I can just buy and add on to mine before I make my own for it. That strikemaster flight should work awesome. The pistol bit and my Milwaukee fuel really chews through the ice.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 10-30-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunterPro View Post
I just noticed that the eskimo pistol bit have a center point now, hoping it’s something that I can just buy and add on to mine before I make my own for it. That strikemaster flight should work awesome. The pistol bit and my Milwaukee fuel really chews through the ice.
If you follow some of the ice fishing forums in the USA . You will find a ton of people are complaining about the center point . Eskimo refuses to help. There is no center point available for last years model. People are selling the first year model to get the new style with center point. Many guys in the states are banning together to form a class action suit against Ardassam(Eskimo) . The original pistol bit is dangerous when first starting a hole ,if drill too fast the thing walks all over the ice and can cause injury (according to what I've read).
Please note I do not own a pistol bit. I'm just sharing what I've read
Old 10-31-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawjacker View Post
If you follow some of the ice fishing forums in the USA . You will find a ton of people are complaining about the center point . Eskimo refuses to help. There is no center point available for last years model. People are selling the first year model to get the new style with center point. Many guys in the states are banning together to form a class action suit against Ardassam(Eskimo) . The original pistol bit is dangerous when first starting a hole ,if drill too fast the thing walks all over the ice and can cause injury (according to what I've read).
Please note I do not own a pistol bit. I'm just sharing what I've read
Right on it’s such an easy fix, there’s a Allen-key bolt on the bottom of the pistol bit. All a guy needs to do is tack a point on the end of it and tighten it back on. I suspect if there is that much outrage about it eskimo will make the fix. It would be fine even if they made it and sold it for the couple bucks it’s worth.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:21 AM

The center point that’s on the strike master could probably screw right in the bottom of a pistol bit.

Old 10-31-2019, 06:28 PM

Just a quick heads up for anyone running strikemasters that its a good idea to pick up a spare set of blades early in the season as they can be hard to come by later on if you need a set quick. Maybe this is changing as they gain popularity but in the past ive had to order from the states which can be a bit of a wait.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:24 PM

You buggers got me wanting one of those setups!
Old 11-04-2019, 05:55 PM

Got mine too this week. I had a rapala bit with the Milwaukee fuel 18v last year and I cracked my wrist nearing the bottom of the hole. I bought and put the clam plate on and works perfect, will never go without one with the drill and sm lite flite now. Will post a photo when I bring it all home next week. At the end of last year I was going through 3-4 ft of ice faster than my father Inlaws ion. Can't believe how good these setups are. Can't wait to see how it opens old holes and doing a side by side hole setup.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by skawtty; 11-04-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:58 PM

The rest of my gear arrived today, can't believe the torque on the Makita!

Super light setup!

Now I just need Ice!!...lol.

Also picked up a sharpener to keep the blades ready at all times.

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:02 PM

Looks good Scottie!

Old 11-04-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skawtty View Post
Looks good Scottie!

Excited to see your setup as well.

I see a drill off w/both of our setups and Zip-inZ's new Eskimo propane in the near future...lol.

See you on the ice mate!

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:

I see a drill off w/both of our setups and Zip-inZ's new Eskimo propane in the near future...lol.

See you on the ice mate!

Cheers,

Scott.
Challenge accepted . Poor zip he will gain alittle more muscle though with that bohemoth Auger. Maybe it will help his distance with his golf drives.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:39 PM

No need for a challenge or competition, I'll leave both my Jiffy & Eskimo at home & you guys can drill my holes for me .... it's called seniority!

Edit: Looking forward to seeing what this drill set up can do and how it performs.

D.

Quote:

See you on the ice mate!

Cheers,

Scott.

Quote:
Challenge accepted . Poor zip he will gain alittle more muscle though with that bohemoth Auger. Maybe it will help his distance with his golf drives.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:39 PM

Here it is with clam plate. Had to get a collar to fit clam plate to put bit in as it was loose.

Old 11-11-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Here it is with clam plate. Had to get a collar to fit clam plate to put bit in as it was loose.

The fix I did to put clam plate on was I used an ion 24" ext as it was cheaper than 12" extension and I had one. I drilled a couple holes 8" apart incase I need to raise level up when the ice gets thicker. This fits the clam plate perfect, 0.5 lbs heavier lol. 17 mm collar and a 22 mm shaft. I buffed the paint off so it would slide all the way into the lite flite. Perfect fit and fix and saved 30-40 bucks for an adapter if there was one.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:38 PM

Skawtty ... you definately have skill.

Nicely done.

D.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:10 PM

Well first test drive of the season for this setup.

I could not be happier with the result!!

Over 50 holes drilled (most doubles) and all on 1 4ah battery. The centering point is a game changer for these setups. Makita kicks ass!

https://youtu.be/I0T4DPadBcQ

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Well first test drive of the season for this setup.

I could not be happier with the result!!

Over 50 holes drilled (most doubles) and all on 1 4ah battery. The centering point is a game changer for these setups. Makita kicks ass!

https://youtu.be/I0T4DPadBcQ

Cheers,

Scott.

Was totally impressed with this unit, was originally thinking 8" holes side-x-side would never compared to my 10" Jiffy ... was wrong, this unit cuts even faster than my 10" auger and perfect double/triple holes, too. The guys not far from us were also watching & couldn't believe what they were seeing. One other point, the unit doesn't make that much noise & while Scott was cutting a new hole, I had a trout under me that wasn't spooked.

Was also amazed with the number of holes we drilled, the unit didn't slow down when the battery was down like the Ion does, it goes full out and then stops when it's done, then it's time to swap out a battery.

The true test will be in mid-March when the ice is 30" plus, hoping it performs.

D.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:40 PM

Wow looking forward to it now. Thanks for posting video to confirm the purchase is going to be awesome. See you guys in a few weeks!

Old 01-06-2020, 08:10 AM

Can anyone tell me the exact diameter from their strikemaster lite flight plate that stops it from falling down the hole?

Old 01-07-2020, 07:38 PM

Yup, 8.5”. With the centre pin being half an inch plus 4 plus 4. Can’t wait to try it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pickereled View Post
Yup, 8.5”. With the centre pin being half an inch plus 4 plus 4. Can’t wait to try it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you

Old 01-09-2020, 10:07 AM

Just a note I saw on another forum on the Strikemaster product. If you find you have a bit of wobble when drilling they have found they had a flaw in their sizing where it goes into the drill chuck for some drill models. They are sending people out freebies to customers right now. They are going to be changing to that design in future models. You may want to check while they are giving them away. And to add from what I saw it does not apply to all drills just certain models so it may or may not apply to you.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Just a note I saw on another forum on the Strikemaster product. If you find you have a bit of wobble when drilling they have found they had a flaw in their sizing where it goes into the drill chuck for some drill models. They are sending people out freebies to customers right now. They are going to be changing to that design in future models. You may want to check while they are giving them away. And to add from what I saw it does not apply to all drills just certain models so it may or may not apply to you.
I don't see anything about it on their website, but I have had this issue if I don't tighten regularly. Any chance you have a link to the forum discussion?

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:00 PM

Ice shanty - ANV post. There are some pics there too.

Hello everyone!

I just received my new adapter from StrikeMaster and they did listen to us. It is still the StrikerMaster Adapter NDA-3 but they grind off the top/collar off the adapter.

They also included a new screw for the adapter to auger.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishin...topic=373454.0

Quote:
I don't see anything about it on their website, but I have had this issue if I don't tighten regularly. Any chance you have a link to the forum discussion?

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:08 PM

A fellow on Ice Shanty Forum posted this, he said it stopped the wobble.

"The adapter has a ring around the top that’s a little bigger than the hex. If you tighten on it the chuck will come loose. Make sure it is into the drill chuck as far as possible. You can also grind that ring off."

His pic's, not mine.

Edit: Looks like CalgaryG pushed the button first.

D.