Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-29-2016, 10:22 PM

Default Just how novice I am

I was out at Crawling Valley today fishing the same place with similar lures I had last week. The only difference was today I had zero luck at all.

Made me start to think. The lake is about 18 km long and I can reach .0001% of it.

I came to the conclusion that I need to go back to school to help improve my chances. I want to learn what are the key components that lead to a good day fishing.

If I were to guess the two most influencing factors, I would think water temp and atmospheric pressure would be serious players. At least they would affect at what depth you may find them.

I know there are loads of other factors like moon phase, time of day, even the wind affecting the chop on the water that can all add up to a great day fishing. I always heard of you aren't enjoying the weather the fishing should be good.

I am curious if many people take much of this into consideration when heading out. I assume most people are like me and if you have the time you will give it a go, no matter the weather.

I guess those with boats and depth finders have it a little better since they know the temp and depths but us who are stuck on the shores may just need a little more than luck on our side.

Curious to hear your thoughts.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
I was out at Crawling Valley today fishing the same place with similar lures I had last week. The only difference was today I had zero luck at all.

Made me start to think. The lake is about 18 km long and I can reach .0001% of it.

I came to the conclusion that I need to go back to school to help improve my chances. I want to learn what are the key components that lead to a good day fishing.

If I were to guess the two most influencing factors, I would think water temp and atmospheric pressure would be serious players. At least they would affect at what depth you may find them.

I know there are loads of other factors like moon phase, time of day, even the wind affecting the chop on the water that can all add up to a great day fishing. I always heard of you aren't enjoying the weather the fishing should be good.

I am curious if many people take much of this into consideration when heading out. I assume most people are like me and if you have the time you will give it a go, no matter the weather.

I guess those with boats and depth finders have it a little better since they know the temp and depths but us who are stuck on the shores may just need a little more than luck on our side.

Curious to hear your thoughts.
Spring time with shallower water warming first is usually the best bet for shore fishing. New weeds start in shallow first and attract the fish. Unfortunately they don't stay their long before moving back to deeper structure. When you are Shore fishing look behind you and under your feet. That same type of structure behind you and under your feet often runs into the lake. Pick out the subtle or not so subtle changes of shorelines and try those areas. Move lots. Mobility is your only hope on tough days. Have to find activ fish.

Like you said though I just go fishing whenever I can and don't really worry about the weather, moon phase or what not.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 05-29-2016, 10:57 PM
Banned

Times of day and times of month really do make a difference. New moon is almost always better then full moon. Having said that, I usually spend more time fishing during full moon periods simple because the weather is generally better during a full moon.
I can go fishing pretty well whenever I want, but I tend to stick to days that aren't raining or very windy.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:40 AM

Fish tend to move, one day they are there, next day not, day after they are back again. Wind from the east, fish bite the least ! Wind from the west, fish bite the best ! Sunny, cloudy ? Warmer water fish tend to go deeper.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:04 AM

Best tip ever. Fish the side of the lake that the wind has been hammering.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:06 AM

You won't learn anything about fishing going to school.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:05 AM

Fish will move off structure this time of year as the water begins to stratify - this is usually mid June. This year stuff is happening early.

I am going out on the hunt for post spawn staged walleyes - Mid may was early last year as they were still in flowing water. This year, a 2 weeks later and I could be 4 weeks too late. lol.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:17 AM

They say that 100% of the fish are only in 10% of the lake.