Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-28-2016, 11:08 PM

Default Fishing bobber frustration

So i havent bobber fished in many years, when we use to do as kids my old man would cut little pieces off a broom handle, sand them smooth and round the ends and attach 2 eyes to either end of it so u could tie your line on top and a trailing line with a fly to the bottom. It worked great.

I remeber they use to even sell bigger red and white versions of these wooden bobbers at most stores.

So far ive checked ebay, walmart, canadian tire, and few small fly shops. No one carrys these any more.

Any one have any leads on these ?

The plastic floats they sell at the stores now a days dont seem to have the weight to get any kind of real distance when my four year old is trying to cast out.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:01 AM

What ill do when bobber fishing is I'll take one of the average sized plastic bobbers, and attach a bell sinker to the lineand hook the eye of it on the bottom hook of the bobber. This adds weight to help with casting, along with allowing the bobber to sink easier which keeps smaller fish from getting spooked when they feel the extra resistance when pulling the bait down. Works great for me and really helps with the distance
Old 05-29-2016, 03:31 AM

Torpedo bobbers alow you to fill the bobber with water to add weight to them, fill half full or so and you can throw them a long way.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Mooj View Post
So i havent bobber fished in many years, when we use to do as kids my old man would cut little pieces off a broom handle, sand them smooth and round the ends and attach 2 eyes to either end of it so u could tie your line on top and a trailing line with a fly to the bottom. It worked great.

I remeber they use to even sell bigger red and white versions of these wooden bobbers at most stores.

So far ive checked ebay, walmart, canadian tire, and few small fly shops. No one carrys these any more.

Any one have any leads on these ?

The plastic floats they sell at the stores now a days dont seem to have the weight to get any kind of real distance when my four year old is trying to cast out.
I thought I was the only one having problem with these plastic bobber to cast far. I invented my own way of putting extra weight to add small reusable led to both ends of the bobbers. Works well and I can through farther distance.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:07 AM

I was at the south common Cabadian Tire the other day and they had all kinds and shapes of wood bobbers from pencil bobbers to plug bobbers .
The ones I really like are the big porcupine quill bobbers
Cat
Old 05-29-2016, 08:10 AM

I use the in line bobber with a bobber stopper. The smallest one I can find with a tiny weight and it casts for miles.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:19 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Cabelas has them, check it out on line, add a sinker/weight to cast for additional distance.
Probably should cast it for your four year old, might end up with a bird nest of line
Been there before....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-29-2016, 08:26 AM

Slip bobbers work great too
Old 05-29-2016, 09:35 AM

Order some on Amazon, probably cheaper than what you'll find local.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
Slip bobbers work great too
Slip bobbers are the only way to go. You can cast them forever far and you don't have any line hanging out all over the place tangling on everything in site. When I discovered them a few years ago it really helped change my approach. It's a permanent part of my arsenal never mind super fun for the kids