Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 10:25 AM

Default CZ-527 Varmint review

So here's my new CZ-527 Varmint in .223rem with a 1:9" heavy 25" barrel. I topped it off with a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 and a Harris bipod. This will be my new 300 yard gopher, rabbit, and coyote gun.

These rifles have not been without their own set of issues over the years. One of the first I heard about was that the barrels were not free floated. So after I received mine, this was one of the first things I checked. A piece of paper under the barrel and between the stock confirmed mine was indeed free floated. I'm glad CZ seems to have gotten their factory quality issues sorted out.

The second thing was many complaints about the "stickiness" of the bolt when cycling the action. Mine was indeed like this, but it was also bone dry out of the box. A quick search on YouTube and I found a few videos showing how to solve the problem. Some fine grit rubbing compound and crocus cloth and some light massaging in three different areas for about 5 minutes seems to have helped. Then a very small amount of G96 lube, and the action now cycles buttery smooth.

CZ also has a somewhat "proprietary" mount for rings. Finding a set proved more difficult than I expected. Also, earlier versions of this "mini-mauser" bolt handle proved tricky when mounting a scope. You had to have very high rings so the bolt knob would not conflict with your scope. Thankfully, CZ changed the bolt handle design and this problem is not as tricky now.

But as you can see, I seemed to have gotten the "geometry" just about perfect.

BTW, those are Leupold rings. And I also got the scope nice and low over the barrel.

So, I've been out twice with the new stick. I tested 5 different charge weights. With 26.3gr being the best of the bunch at 2970fps velocity and 3/4moa at 102 yards. I decided on the second trip to try a last weight of 26.6gr to see if I could squeeze out any better accuracy. It actually was just a bit better. The speed was 3012fps and it is a consistent 1/2moa now (when I do my part).

I found the lands with the Hornady OAL gauge. I decided to use a .010" jump and the accuracy of the rifle seems to agree, this is a good seating depth.

Also this combination of bullet and seating depth works very well with magazine feeding. There's about .070" from the end of the bullet to the mag edge. Again, the "geometry" here is wonderful with room to spare.

You can see above the length of the long seated 69gr SMK in the magazine. The COAL of this loaded round is 2.274", and the maximum length that the magazine will hold is 2.344". So, there is still some room to spare.

Load info:
Brass: Lapua
Bullet: Sierra 69gr SMK
Primer: CCI BR4
Powder: BLC-2 26.6gr 3012fps (10 shot ave.) S.D.=9.2 E.S.=7.0
COAL (ogive measurement): 1.885" with a .010" jump

I was also curious to see just how the 69gr SMK would perform beyond 300m. So I did some plinking out to 500m. It was a very calm Sunday...and it seemed I was having a hard time missing a 12" gong at that distance. (EDIT: it was a 6" gong, sorry.)

I really like this rifle. The smaller stock fits me beautifully. And the wood is pretty to boot. The quality feel, fit and finish is pretty much CZ....excellent. And if you've never tried CZ's "set trigger", you're in for a pleasant surprise. By moving the trigger blade forward after you have it cocked, it gives a very light and crisp break. There is really no creep either when you've got it forward in the lighter setting. I would estimate that the pull is less than a pound.

Here's a picture of both trigger positions when cocked. Normal on the left and the set position on the right.

The heavier contour barrel did heat up with quicker shooting. Although with the 5 round magazine, I could let it cool down between mag reloads. The "mini-Mauser" action is a well proven design and there were no feed or extraction issues. The Vortex scope is as advertised... not top notch, but decent enough to 300m (which is just what I am looking for in this set-up).

Cleaning is a breeze. But the "latch" or "button" release to remove the bolt also needs to be pressed to get it back into the action. That's something I wasn't used to, and I had some pretty perplexing moments the first time I tried to put the bolt back. It also has a "European" style magazine release button. I takes a bit of getting used to since it is not at the rear of the mag, but on the right side. Some have complained about the look of the single stack magazine with this rifle. For me? ....meh. I don't mind one way or the other, just as long as there is a detachable mag to feed it with. Although the price of these mags are almost criminal.

I've owned a CZ-527 before. It was the shorter carbine in 7.62x39. It was pretty similar in performance except for accuracy (the x39 round is not really known for its accuracy). I find that the 25" barrel on this rifle is the ideal trade off between "compactness" and versatility. This is going to make a pretty decent bush gun. Recoil is really small being a .223, so follow-up shots are very easy to get on target.

So all in all, I would rate this around an 8.5 out of 10. For what my stated purpose is...an up to 300yd varmint gun, it fits the bill very well.

Richardson's beware :sniper:

Many thanks to Clay at Prophet River for the extremely fast 2 day service to get the rifle.

Andy 6MT

EDIT: For the many of you who asked, the total price for the rifle, bipod, scope, rings, and sling was $1970 (taxes in).

I was rechecking my zero today when I shot this group at 102 yards (after the sighter). Pretty good for a factory rifle.

I really like this rifle!!

Last edited by 6MT; 05-20-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:03 AM

Very nice indeed. Congrats.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:24 AM

Very good, detailed and balanced write up. Thanks for taking the time to share your results.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:28 AM

I have 2 rifles, 22hornet,.17hornet all shoot and function very well and are accurate...one thing about CZ rifles is that they wear IN not out...all mine are excellent...Neither rifle wears CZ rings.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the write up. It's nice to read up on what other people are getting and seeing an honest appraisal.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:11 PM

Default 527

I have a 527 Cz,The set trigger,contributes to the excellant accuracy.For maximun performance on coyotes,I find the lighter bullets,cranked up to max fps,ie.40grvmax,has better dropping power,and less fur damage.I shoot on average 1000 plus gophers per spring,the 22lr the only practical cal.This on many different farms.The farmers for the most part dont like the sharp crack of the 223.The CZ also comes in 22lr cal, with two barrels ,the other 17hmr, now thats a gopher gun,for those rare calm days,you can really get out there.Haveing two CZs ,well thats just a very good thing--cheers.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:08 PM

If you're feeling the bolt is sticky when there's a mag in the gun, sand the lips down with a dowel and some sandpaper. Disassemble the mag and take note of the spring orientation. Make sure you you're sanding flat, and not letting the dowel rock back and forth while sanding.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:30 PM

No, theres's no issues feeding from the mag. The bolt stickiness comes from tight tolerances. Not match grade mind you.

But easily fixed.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
I have a 527 Cz,The set trigger,contributes to the excellant accuracy.For maximun performance on coyotes,I find the lighter bullets,cranked up to max fps,ie.40grvmax,has better dropping power,and less fur damage.I shoot on average 1000 plus gophers per spring,the 22lr the only practical cal.This on many different farms.The farmers for the most part dont like the sharp crack of the 223.The CZ also comes in 22lr cal, with two barrels ,the other 17hmr, now thats a gopher gun,for those rare calm days,you can really get out there.Haveing two CZs ,well thats just a very good thing--cheers.
I dislike the set trigger, makes it too much of a reach for my stubby little fingers...I just adjust the trigger till the set trigger setting is inoperative, I find the trigger breaks about 3# with very little creep...
Old 05-20-2019, 11:17 PM

I have the same rifle in 223. Very accurate and I am happy with it. I also have one in 17 H.H. that is accurate as well. I have their non heavy barrel in 221 FB and it’s very accurate as well.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 05-21-2019, 09:25 AM

Nice review, and congrats on the CZ! I'm a huge fan of my 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet. Still a bit of disconnect with me though...as it seems far more capable a caliber than it's size, or noise level would lead you to believe. lol Anyhow, such a pleasure to tote around..and just have it do what it's built to do, so incredibly well.

I'm creeping slowly towards a rifle in 204 Ruger and for sure...the 527 is on the short list.

Hope you'll post some 527 gopher shoot photos! (assuming it'll be used for that)
Old 05-21-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
Nice review, and congrats on the CZ! I'm a huge fan of my 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet. Still a bit of disconnect with me though...as it seems far more capable a caliber than it's size, or noise level would lead you to believe. lol Anyhow, such a pleasure to tote around..and just have it do what it's built to do, so incredibly well.

I'm creeping slowly towards a rifle in 204 Ruger and for sure...the 527 is on the short list.

Hope you'll post some 527 gopher shoot photos! (assuming it'll be used for that)
Buy the .204 as long as you have somewhere to stretch its leg....350 yards is a chip shot...Both of mine have 26&25 " barrels I think the extra length barrel is important to have it be all it can be....Cz builds a fine .204.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Buy the .204 as long as you have somewhere to stretch its leg....350 yards is a chip shot...Both of mine have 26&25 " barrels I think the extra length barrel is important to have it be all it can be....Cz builds a fine .204.
Not to derail the OP's review thread..but as much as I love the CZ 527, I'm eager for my next 204 to shoot light bullets well out to 200 yards or so. I once owned a Cooper in 204 that only shot 39gr. SBKs well...but they didn't open-up well on creatures the size of a groundhog. Blew right through one end-to-end once and I don't think the bullet even slowed down. lol I could expand on that visual...but won't. lol Anyhow, I never got the 32gr shooting as well (about 1" @ 100 yards) but knew exactly where the POI was for those vs. my 39gr pet load. Adjusted for that to try the 32s and wow...do those dump their energy quick. It's THAT result I'm after, and I got good feedback suggesting the Tikka Varmint might be the one to pick. It's the next rifle I'm planning on...

I asked the question a little over a year ago here;

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=338017
Old 01-07-2023, 06:16 AM

a glades armoury bolt knob handle should fix the scope clearance issue
Old 01-07-2023, 08:10 AM

3 year old thread but I'll drop in with my CZ527 Night Sky Edition in .223, it comes from the factory with 22" 1 - 9 twist so shoots heavier bullets really nice, has the factory muzzle brake not that it's needed, the stock is a neoprene dura touch which I have replaced with a Boyd's At-0ne fully adjustable stock and it comes with a factory single set trigger which is sweet. It shoots great and will shoot up to 75gr bullets just fine. It wears a leupold freedom X 3 - 9 x 40mm scope in 1 piece tally rings for the 16mm CZ integrated rail.

CZ 527 .jpg

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.

Last edited by waldedw; 01-07-2023 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-07-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
3 year old thread but I'll drop in with my CZ527 Night Sky Edition, it comes from the factory with 22" 1 - 9 twist so shoots heavier bullets really nice, has the factory muzzle brake not that it's needed, the stock is a neoprene dura touch which I have replaced with a Boyd's At-0ne fully adjustable stock and it comes with a factory single set trigger which is sweet. It shoots great and will shoot up to 75gr bullets just fine.

Attachment 183121

looks awesome 223 or 7.62x39?

you find it has any binding in the bolt?
thanks
Old 01-07-2023, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poznan View Post
looks awesome 223 or 7.62x39?

you find it has any binding in the bolt?
thanks
Sorry I edited my post, it's .223 and no the bolt is smooth as grass.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.