Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-16-2019, 11:06 AM

Default Material for Bright Chironomid Bodies

While waiting for the next chance to get on the lakes thought I'd share a little known secret for fly tying.

A store called "The Craft Connection Ltd" at 12413 115 Ave. (Edmonton) has something called Kreinik Metallics. Look for the Very Fine (#4) Braid. I've bought the bright green (008), black (005) and silver by another manufacturer. Price for an 11 M spool is cheap! A single wrap over a thread based taper, appropriate wire ribbing, two coats of Sally Hanson's and you're ready to go!
Old 05-16-2019, 11:58 AM

Craft stores are a great place to find fly tying materials (usually cheaper too). Throw in Dollar stores, party / costume shops, fabric and hobby shops as well. You can find things like foam, googly eyes, chenille, yarns, tinsels, braids, plastic / metal tubes (for tube flies) beads, craft fur, synthetic wig hair (amazing what can do to synthetic wig hair with a flat iron curling wand for saltwater and pike flies), feather boas etc. All you need is an ability think outside the box ("fly shop", in this case),,, to look at a material and figure how it might be attached to a fly!!!!

BTW, I have tying with Kreinik braids for 35 years now,,,, and agree they are very useful for fly ribbing and bodies.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
While waiting for the next chance to get on the lakes thought I'd share a little known secret for fly tying.

A store called "The Craft Connection Ltd" at 12413 115 Ave. (Edmonton) has something called Kreinik Metallics. Look for the Very Fine (#4) Braid. I've bought the bright green (008), black (005) and silver by another manufacturer. Price for an 11 M spool is cheap! A single wrap over a thread based taper, appropriate wire ribbing, two coats of Sally Hanson's and you're ready to go!

Nice, thanks! I'll check that out.