Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-06-2019, 12:29 PM

Default Big Judo Points For This Years Monster Gophers

Picked up 6 more FMJ's and commented I needing 150 grain Judo Points to match weight with my 150gr field and broadheads. It's a pain when your system is sighted in for a specific weight, and what you need just isn't out there. So, I bought a package of 125 grain Judo points, and with careful grinding and filing to one of my existing field points, I now have a 150.1 gr. Judo. Zeroed with my field points out to 25 meters.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-90scout View Post
Picked up 6 more FMJ's and commented I needing 150 grain Judo Points to match weight with my 150gr field and broadheads. It's a pain when your system is sighted in for a specific weight, and what you need just isn't out there. So, I bought a package of 125 grain Judo points, and with careful grinding and filing to one of my existing field points, I now have a 150.1 gr. Judo. Zeroed with my field points out to 25 meters.

Nice! Although even with those weights, might I suggest to be sure to only take quartering away shots at those monsters to ensure proper penetration (I'm kidding of course!)

Looks like you're going to have some serious fun knocking a few over! Great practice for aim small, miss small techniques....

J.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:30 AM

Default penetration

I used to use the slip on big rubber blunts and the gopher always ended up on the fletching! I stapled a grouse with my crossbow last fall with a Judo point into a clay bank and he ran off the arrow 20 ft and was shotgunned.The judo had made a quarter sized hole through the wing butts taking the lungs with it.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
I used to use the slip on big rubber blunts and the gopher always ended up on the fletching! I stapled a grouse with my crossbow last fall with a Judo point into a clay bank and he ran off the arrow 20 ft and was shotgunned.The judo had made a quarter sized hole through the wing butts taking the lungs with it.
Going to try my hand at upland his year. I believe these Judo points will do quite well with head/neck shots. Anywhere on the body - you'll end up with chicken burgers.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:08 PM

Couple things come to mind.

Those are the slide on grabbers right? What’s holding them on, hope and friction? Your best option is to use different insert weight with different tips. I shoot 200 grains up front and use everything from 100 to 175 grain points with 25 to 100 grain inserts. You don’t have to go that extreme but a few arrows with a 25 grain heavier insert will let you shoot some 125 grain tips (judos?)
Second, those FMJ’s are vulnerable at the end (every arrow is but arrows with HIT are more so). My advise is to foot them as once they’re footed they’re a very tough package. If you leave them like they are your eventually going to have some damage. I use carbon express nock collars and square them after they’re glued on. Easton makes their own broad head adaptor ring but it’s not as protective.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:42 PM

I agree 101% about footing arrows, especially for gophers. Doesn’t hurt to put knock collars on too. Footing on both ends and that arrow is good for hundreds of shots.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:35 PM

All I ever used was a fender washer screwed in between the field point and the shaft. It worked pretty good! Cheap and replaceable too.