Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-25-2016, 06:42 PM

Default Night fishing from my boat advice

I figure it's time to target walleye at night from my boat, I have the area mapped out extremely well on the electronics aslo my boat has built in floor lighting and running lights. Has anyone else done this in the central Alberta area? I was thinking of setting up on a drop and casting cranks in the shallow flats and jig a minnow or worm down the drop / deep side. I picked up a head lamp and a few flash lights also some shallow running shad rap's. I figure it's best to wait for a clear night with a decent moon, anyone with some advice id like to hear it.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
I figure it's time to target walleye at night from my boat, I have the area mapped out extremely well on the electronics aslo my boat has built in floor lighting and running lights. Has anyone else done this in the central Alberta area? I was thinking of setting up on a drop and casting cranks in the shallow flats and jig a minnow or worm down the drop / deep side. I picked up a head lamp and a few flash lights also some shallow running shad rap's. I figure it's best to wait for a clear night with a decent moon, anyone with some advice id like to hear it.
Used to love to fish Crawling Valley before the time change. 20 FOW black jig with a leach incredible how they would hit it. Just make sure you check the regs and you are allowed to night fish. Most lakes now night fishing is only allowed during the ice season.

I never used any head lamps just the floor lights and the bow and stern lights. Make sure the light is working on your fish finder so you can be aware of the depth when driving at night
Old 05-25-2016, 09:55 PM

Just use your running lights and keep the graphs backlit display on low. The less light the better i found so your eyes dont have adjust as much when looking from the light to the dark.

Chucking glow jigs can be deadly but so can cranks and swimbaits.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:19 PM

Other than your running lights ,try to keep other lights off until you need them for rebaiting or hook removal. On calm nights any light attracts a lot of bugs
Old 05-26-2016, 06:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Used to love to fish Crawling Valley before the time change. 20 FOW black jig with a leach incredible how they would hit it. Just make sure you check the regs and you are allowed to night fish. Most lakes now night fishing is only allowed during the ice season.

I never used any head lamps just the floor lights and the bow and stern lights. Make sure the light is working on your fish finder so you can be aware of the depth when driving at night
Just curious where you get the most lakes you can only night fish during ice season bit??? A couple lake yes your right, maybe, Wabamun in October you'd be right.. But overall nightfishing on most lakes is allowed I believe.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:30 AM

I would recommend also trying a slip bobber rig with the night light stick and a leech or dew worm on a small jig or plain hook. If plain hook also attach a coloured bead. Set it about a foot off bottom at base of the drop off, turn your lights down low in the boat and enjoy the show!
Old 05-26-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaman View Post
Just curious where you get the most lakes you can only night fish during ice season bit??? A couple lake yes your right, maybe, Wabamun in October you'd be right.. But overall nightfishing on most lakes is allowed I believe.
All the lakes in my neck of the woods are fine for night fishing, I'll keep the lights down to a min once I'm set up and sitting on my spot hopefully keeping the bugs down to a min. I don't think a lot of people venture out on a lake at night so it should be interesting.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:59 AM

I've had good luck running Wally Divers along weed edges, much like I would fish for pike during the day.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-26-2016, 10:06 AM

I find anything that rattles, vibrates or makes noise seems to be pretty productive at night. Walleye have no trouble seeing and finding a black jig with a black rubber tail in the darkest of nights if you are pounding the bottom.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:58 PM

At Gull Lake I would recommend fishing a wind swept shoreline at night in 6 feet of water or less with lighted slip bobbers and 1/8 oz Northland jig heads tipped with leeches or minnows.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
We have fished nights at , Lessor Slave, St Anne & Calling.

Calling never caught anything after midnight. Lac ST Anne the same,
Slave we hammered them every cast all night long.
Tried Calling many times but always the same results. St Anne tried twice.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
We have fished nights at , Lessor Slave, St Anne & Calling.

Calling never caught anything after midnight. Lac ST Anne the same,
Slave we hammered them every cast all night long.
Tried Calling many times but always the same results. St Anne tried twice.
Hmmm I'll definitely report back here with my results, thinking tomorrow or saterday.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:16 PM

One of my older friends who used to follow the walleye circuit ( heavily sponsored) used to have his boat set up with red lights for night fishing
He saud you could still see well but at the same time you didn't get night blinded .
Cat
Old 05-26-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
One of my older friends who used to follow the walleye circuit ( heavily sponsored) used to have his boat set up with red lights for night fishing
He saud you could still see well but at the same time you didn't get night blinded .
Cat
Interesting not blinding the other people in the boat is one thing also I've heard fish can't see certain spectrums, my sisters night light on her HUGE fish tank is red so that also makes sense.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:17 AM

I've heard using a red light repels the bugs? I hated fishing at night because the damn bugs would swarm your boat. I do want to try again maybe with some red led light strips installed.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:47 PM

Also have a good magnifying glass on board for when you or your partner gets a hook stuck somewhere on the body.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:25 AM

Just got back, totally skunked lol, tried breaks, drop offs and flats but nothing. It was fun only thing was fish and game ran my plates called my wife who called us and we met them at the dock, turns out they were concerned for our safety and asked if we could leave a note in the truck window next time also the gate to the launch would be closed at 3:00 am. We had fun even though it was slow and I'm heading back out tomorrow.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:24 AM

I do a lot of night fishing. Success ratios are higher on the full moon. Targeting species that feed at night like walleye or burbs can be very effective. Glow, scent, and sound are your friends for sure. Make sure you have the red and green light up front and a white (anchor) light for the back.

Having a spot light can go a long ways especially if one doesn't have a GPS capable fish finder.

Some of my best fish have been caught in the dark. I love the night bite!

Tight lines

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 05-29-2016, 02:32 PM

Default Red lights work

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
Most sailboats are equiped with red lights so that your night vision is not messed up. I can verify - they work well for that!