Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-24-2019, 02:19 PM

Default Question Concerning 2nd Transducer

OK....... I am asking a lot of questions lately.

My sonar is not reading the depth at high speed and I want that issue fixed. The dealership installed my Helix 5 with side imaging on my Princecraft Resorter.

I admit, I am on the bottom end of the learning curve with this new piece of kit. The research I am doing is that it is pretty common and that I need a 2nd transducer.

Is this correct? Can someone dummy up what I need to buy, I am finding this confusing. I am not really knowledgeable enough yet, to be a competent trouble shooter.

Thanks.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:46 PM

Your transducer is likely getting interference from the bubbles etc.... produced by the motor at high speeds, you likely need to position it further from the motor or deeper on the hull. Post a pic of your setup.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:54 PM

That is exactly right, I had the same trouble with transducer installs. I walked around a campground and looked at the transducer placement on several boats and then moved mine to the most common spot. It still took a few vertical moves until I found the sweet spot where there is no problem holding on bottom, even at 42 mph. I did end up with some extra holes in my transom (filled of course) but now have a reliable signal. You may want to consider using a transducer board to avoid extra holes.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:13 PM

Here you go.

Thanks for the help guys!

Old 05-24-2019, 06:12 PM

I suspect you are too close to centerline, do you have a picture of your entire back of the boat?
Old 05-24-2019, 06:38 PM

It’s somewhat obscured by the tie down strap but it looks like there’s a keel right in front of your transducer? That bump on the bottom of the hull is not helping. You need smooth undisturbed water.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:39 PM

Ya..... my pics aren't good.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
It’s somewhat obscured by the tie down strap but it looks like there’s a keel right in front of your transducer? That bump on the bottom of the hull is not helping. You need smooth undisturbed water.
HA HA

You just want me to take another pic because you are catcjing on how bad I am at this.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:53 PM

Lol nope, just saying if there’s anything ahead of that transducer it’s a problem.

If I wanted to hassle you I’d get pics of the inside so you had to untarp it lol.

I find my depth finder starts to drop out at depths over about 40 feet at speed but I haven’t tinkered with it. I’ve found water depth to be a factor also.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:56 PM

Old 05-24-2019, 07:03 PM

Too close imo. You could move it left and still stay on your transducer mounting pad and try that. At least that way there won’t be additional holes in the boat.

You could move the whole pad further outboard also like the other guys are saying, I did mount mine farther outboard. I’m unsure how much effect the motor would have at speed but I could see it having an effect at slow speed, idle, trolling etc.

Last edited by Tfng; 05-24-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Too close imo. You could move it left and still stay on your transducer mounting pad and try that. At least that way there won’t be additional holes in the boat.
Appreciate the advice. Looks easy.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Appreciate the advice. Looks easy.
My edit may have made your decision more complicated. It would be very simple to at least try moving it left before you punch more holes in the boat. I’d be complaining to the dealer about that install.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
My edit may have made your decision more complicated. It would be very simple to at least try moving it left before you punch more holes in the boat. I’d be complaining to the dealer about that install.
The fella who showed me how everything works on the boat told me that to change the motor oil, you need to “suck” the oil out of the motor, the same place you add oil.

Did they instal the mounting board or did Princecraft?
Old 05-24-2019, 07:36 PM

I don’t know who mounted it. I assumed the dealer did but maybe not. An obstruction like that ahead of the transducer is a big no no. It’s all about smooth laminar flow; turbulence has a big effect.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:33 PM
Banned

Default The angle of the dangle.

You might want to correct your aim. The angle at which the transducer sees the bottom should be relative to level.

You want to set it so it scans the bottom when you most need it; while fishing. A lake chart is a more effective tool to keep your craft in propeller depth while up on plane.

Free
Old 05-24-2019, 09:45 PM

I do a lot of installs. You’re too close to that strake. It needs to move left but looks to still be far enough from the motor. You want it 12” away and above smooth water.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:43 AM

I would use a proper glue and glue a pc of plastic to the right of your mounting now. Then move the transducer on to it. This way no more holes in the boat. Use a big enough pc so that you can mount a second transducer for another finder later on if you want.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:33 PM

the strake in pic 10 is your major problem, check out this vid for fundamental stuff, www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEqV53Mv1jo, and google for the manual for your fishfinder, the installation 'rules' will be very clearly outlined there, check this out, https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...995.1558808594, should be all the spec knowledge u need

Last edited by mikebossy; 05-25-2019 at 01:00 PM. Reason: f
Old 05-25-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
You might want to correct your aim. The angle at which the transducer sees the bottom should be relative to level.

You want to set it so it scans the bottom when you most need it; while fishing. A lake chart is a more effective tool to keep your craft in propeller depth while up on plane.

Free
Good points to make, but I also spend some time on the river. Years back I spent A LOT of time on the river so I am comfortable...... but I would really like to know the depth too.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebossy View Post
the strake in pic 10 is your major problem, check out this vid for fundamental stuff, www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEqV53Mv1jo, and google for the manual for your fishfinder, the installation 'rules' will be very clearly outlined there, check this out, https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...995.1558808594, should be all the spec knowledge u need
Thanks for the vids, I'll check them out.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:43 PM

Thats the worst position for Td. Get the dealer to put another board on free of charge. Mount to the right(starboard) of existing plate. Do not let them move it! Wont hurt to leave a gap between the 2 and will give you more room to mount ducers. Read instructions or watch videos (do it your self) or have them do it again. Again worst place to put a transducer!

If you are using in shallow rivers, a 2d transducer is cheaper to wreck(ground) than side imaging. And or keep your side imaging somewhat protected if you can(raise higher than normal) and use at slower speeds. I think you might be able to get a y cable for 2 ducers. Down side of raising SI is that it probably wont function well at higher speeds. If you are ok with using SI then you dont need the second ducer.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.