Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-14-2018, 09:06 PM

Default Ok. Dumb question. Handgun noise level vs rifle

So I'm kinda confused why a 45 acp round with say 5-7 grains of powder is louder it seems than a 308 with say 44-46 grains or 850 fps - ish / 230 grainer vs a 2650 fps /175 grainer ? Google actually couldn't answer this I don't think .... hastily looked up , and we need questions like this here for us gun addicts

Is it cause the noise is subsonic and comes thru the breech while cycling back at you ..... or obviously much closer to your head .... 5" barrel vs 26 " and super sonic

Or am I Tripping ..... ? I haven't fired a handgun in a while .... about to get a custom 1911 , sold old one , and kids and work keep me busy , trying to get back into guns

Anyhow. The noise level just seems disproportionate to me but obviously physics are physics. Worst hearing damage I believe I received shooting was from a 357 , young and dumb( 1st time - so excited ) and no hearing protection , 12 rounds , I wouldn't go all day shooting a 308 without protection but 12 rounds sure , never again with a 357 , not even 2

Shoot !
Old 03-14-2018, 09:09 PM

Barrel length. The gas is expanding much closer to your ear.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-14-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
So I'm kinda confused why a 45 acp round with say 5-7 grains of powder is louder it seems than a 308 with say 44-46 grains or 850 fps - ish / 230 grainer vs a 2650 fps /175 grainer ? Google actually couldn't answer this I don't think .... hastily looked up , and we need questions like this here for us gun addicts

Is it cause the noise is subsonic and comes thru the breech while cycling back at you ..... or obviously much closer to your head .... 5" barrel vs 26 " and super sonic

Or am I Tripping ..... ? I haven't fired a handgun in a while .... about to get a custom 1911 , sold old one , and kids and work keep me busy , trying to get back into guns

Anyhow. The noise level just seems disproportionate to me but obviously physics are physics

Shoot !
Unburnt powder burning and the high barrel pressure being released into the air at the muzzle when the bullet leaves and the distance from your head. Short barrels are way louder due to all these reasons. A portion of perceived recoil includes these factors in addition to the physical movement of the firearm.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:30 AM

What distance is the muzzle away from your head on a handgun vs a long gun ?
Old 03-15-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
Worst hearing damage I believe I received shooting was from a 357 , young and dumb( 1st time - so excited ) and no hearing protection , 12 rounds , I wouldn't go all day shooting a 308 without protection but 12 rounds sure , never again with a 357 , not even 2

Shoot !
It's possible that just 12 rounds without protection damaged your hearing but generally it takes years of exposure to constant noise to do permanent damage. A few hours at a loud rock concert will do damage, loud music, especially through ear buds or in your car, operating machinery, working in louder than normal environments. People tend to blame hearing damage on the loudest things they might have heard on rare occasions and they might be correct but most permanent damage usually comes from repetitive constant sounds they may be exposed to continually over long periods of time that they might not have considered loud enough to be dangerous. Ears can effectively wear out in response to constant noise trying to adapt to it and protect themselves, ear drums can get less sensitive, tissues and components react to constant vibration of noise, nerve damage, age, genetics, etc.

I know guys who wear double hearing protection when they are shooting trying to protect their priceless hearing and blame shooting for their hearing loss, then they jump in the truck when they drive away from the range with the stereo blaring, diesel engine roaring.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
Idk. Have to get back to you on that one , when home next , get wife to run tape measure with a handgun , prone with a target rig and sitting with a varmint rig.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
It's possible that just 12 rounds without protection damaged your hearing but generally it takes years of exposure to constant noise to do permanent damage. A few hours at a loud rock concert will do damage, loud music, especially through ear buds or in your car, operating machinery, working in louder than normal environments. People tend to blame hearing damage on the loudest things they might have heard on rare occasions and they might be correct but most permanent damage usually comes from repetitive constant sounds they may be exposed to continually over long periods of time that they might not have considered loud enough to be dangerous. Ears can effectively wear out in response to constant noise trying to adapt to it and protect themselves, ear drums can get less sensitive, tissues and components react to constant vibration of noise, nerve damage, age, genetics, etc.

I know guys who wear double hearing protection when they are shooting trying to protect their priceless hearing and blame shooting for their hearing loss, then they jump in the truck when they drive away from the range with the stereo blaring, diesel engine roaring.

Ya. Agree with you. Megadeth and Metallica definatley did some damage to me back in the day ..... similiar with the 357 that time. That ringing in your ears / head for about 24 hours. Generally don't do that stuff anymore and take good care of my ears for a while now .... I work around loud diesels and n2 all the time. Even the washbay in the shop is quite loud ..... boom earplugs , still got good hearing

Hey it would be kinda cool .... there's gotta be portable devices for measuring sound 🔊/ decibels ..... just have one by your head and try various rifles / handguns etc etc. Texted my top safety guy in the office if we have them , see if i could borrow for a trip to the range .... test next to the muzzle and then have someone hold it next to ears while shooting .... or just shoot one handed

Last edited by wolf308; 03-15-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:03 AM

There are a few free App's you can download to you're Smartphone for Decibel Meters.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
Handgun muzzle is about 16 to 20 inches in a 2 hand grip. A hunting style rifle is about 24 to 30 inches. So 50% more distance. Im guessing but id say the barrel pressure is a lot lower at the end of a 22 inch rifle barrel vs a 5 inch handgun barrel.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOff View Post
There are a few free App's you can download to you're Smartphone for Decibel Meters.
Oh cool. Yup. Downloaded one. Yelled in my doghouse , got 124.

Lol. Got something to do now for a bit. Gonna go check out rig noise with max rpm

Thanks. Darn smart phone , what can't they do

108 db , near my rig engine ... cool

Last edited by wolf308; 03-15-2018 at 10:47 AM.