Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-12-2018, 10:09 PM

Default Low Cost African Trip, Dad Take Your Kid?

A South African Outfitter has graciously donated to SCI Calgary some great hunts that are available now, prior to our auction.

Please follow the directions given at the bottom of the write up. Thanks.

http://www.onlinehuntingauctions.com...hapter_as48007
Old 03-13-2018, 02:22 AM

With all the turmoil there lately against whites, is South Africa really a good place to visit at this time ?
Not trying to dissuade anyone, just a valid question/concern... Even with our hunting rifles, it might not be enough to stop a large group.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:40 AM

The outfitters phone # is listed. Phone him and ask him about the situation.

Right now there is lots of reporting without giving proper background. Lots of uniformed speculation on this side of the pond. Their constitution is quite robust and what they voted on is not constitutional. Now it goes to the lawyers who report back by August. It is believed that this is all politics and grandstanding. Remember the average black South African has an education equivalent of someplace between grade 3 and 7. This would sound good to them, just like some of the idiotic stuff Notley and Trudeau have trotted out and appeal to the unthinking supporters.

I would go now, just in case it does change. The outfitters in Calgary at the Africa Show are not concerned.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:57 AM

I know a couple of south African ex pats, also watch Reggie Yates , Outside Man, on Netflix. Throw in the latest political situation and No way Hosee. Mexico is a first world country in comparison. Of course the outfitters aren't concerned, it's their bread and butter.

Grizz
Old 03-13-2018, 08:41 AM

Default South Africa

A couple I know are on the way back today from South Africa and I pick them up at the airport in a few hours. They have had a great trip, and there hasn't been any problems.

I am going in a couple of months again, and don't expect any problems either.

I would disagree with the comparison with Mexico. There you have the cartels, and as a result, I would take South Africa over Mexico any time.

The more times you go to Africa, the more you realize the news organizations are just selling news and trying to get your attention.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLT7 View Post
A couple I know are on the way back today from South Africa and I pick them up at the airport in a few hours. They have had a great trip, and there hasn't been any problems.

I am going in a couple of months again, and don't expect any problems either.

I would disagree with the comparison with Mexico. There you have the cartels, and as a result, I would take South Africa over Mexico any time.

The more times you go to Africa, the more you realize the news organizations are just selling news and trying to get your attention.
You need to talk to more South Africans, people who left while they could. Unlike Mexico, where you're dealing with cartels, the violence is totally random. Biggest hazard with the cartels is wrong place at the wrong time or you see something you shouldn't have. Go to the Accurate Reloading forum and check out African hunting for some horror stories, starting with arrival at the airport, where cars are followed and the occupants are carjacked and robbed. No guarantees your luggage hasn't been pilfered either.

Grizz
Old 03-13-2018, 07:58 PM

Our neighbors are from South Africa and go back for 2 months every year. They say it is horrible over there now. Their parents have been tied up and robbed and their brother was carjacked at gun point. They say it is getting worse every time they go back. If it wasn’t for family they say they would never return
Old 03-13-2018, 08:15 PM

The outfitter will pick you up at the airport and take you to the hunting area, and return you to the airport. The outfitter will not allow you to be put at risk. His livelihood depends on it. Beyond that you’re exposure to risk is up to you.

I would bid with confidence.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch donkey View Post
The outfitter will pick you up at the airport and take you to the hunting area, and return you to the airport. The outfitter will not allow you to be put at risk. His livelihood depends on it. Beyond that you’re exposure to risk is up to you.

I would bid with confidence.
Yes his livelihood depends on it, but if it comes to a choice between his living, or his life...
Old 03-15-2018, 01:54 PM

I wouldn’t worry about going to South Africa one bit right now. It’s as safe as it ever was, nothing has actually changed that way.

One bonus is the incredibly low prices. With business slowing down a lot now is the time to go. I just saw a hunt for a mature lion and 40” Sable for $11,000 all in including your hunting days.
One local TV show just gave away 15 plains game hunts with day fees and some trophy fees, then just day fees. Now I’m sure they won’t all get taken, because lots of people that win Facebook contests don’t go. But let that sink in ! The Outfitter gave away all those hunts hoping the trophy fees on additional animals will make him money overall.
I can get a Cape buffalo with day fees for under $6K, that’s just crazy. With the US dollar high, and sales down now is the time to go. Bargain hard and write the cheque folks. It’s awesome over there
Old 03-15-2018, 02:09 PM

I'm born and raised in South Africa, been here for 16 years. Background varies from Mechanic, sales, SA police, security and bodyguard.
Just came back from a 2 month trip Oct - Nov 2018 and had nothing but good experiences.
At the same time, 2 prominent Canadian businessmen met me in SA and looked after them for 4 weeks and then another came over for 2 weeks as well. They wanted to see the big 5, Cape Town and a whatever I could fit in the itinerary for them.
Split some of my time with family and a friend helped with some of the contract. They came back with huge smiles, stories and now have a bunch of people who want me to tour them around SA, possibly the end of the year.

So, like a many other countries, you will come come across areas that are no-go zones. As long as you consult with a local and have your smarts about you, you will be ok. Our Can $$ does go far and you are able to spoil yourself with food, shopping etc.
Pending what you want to do in your spare time in SA before or after your hunts, pm me and I can set you up with some solid people.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I wouldn’t worry about going to South Africa one bit right now. It’s as safe as it ever was, nothing has actually changed that way.

One bonus is the incredibly low prices. With business slowing down a lot now is the time to go. I just saw a hunt for a mature lion and 40” Sable for $11,000 all in including your hunting days.
One local TV show just gave away 15 plains game hunts with day fees and some trophy fees, then just day fees. Now I’m sure they won’t all get taken, because lots of people that win Facebook contests don’t go. But let that sink in ! The Outfitter gave away all those hunts hoping the trophy fees on additional animals will make him money overall.
I can get a Cape buffalo with day fees for under $6K, that’s just crazy. With the US dollar high, and sales down now is the time to go. Bargain hard and write the cheque folks. It’s awesome over there
X2
Old 03-15-2018, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post

Are you seeing that just in SA? I am not a big fan of the idea of going hunting there. Its the fences and buying of animals that seems to bug me. I wonder what Namibia is like?
Old 03-15-2018, 04:22 PM

Just make sure you avoid these guys.....

https://youtu.be/Ex64iz-4UKA

And literally just got of the phone with my buddy. He is busy patching 15 bullet holes in his front wall after a hi-jack shootout in front of his house.

But people still live there, work there and invest. It all depends on what risks you are prepared to take for which rewards. Go with the right people and go to the right places and good times are to be had at a good price.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:13 PM

Default Africa.

This is not the magical Africa that I want on safari. Canned lions and fenced in sable and such. Go have fun. And try to avoid the two legged predators. You most likely will.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:50 PM

Can I get baby pictures of the trophy animals I buy.
I really like the ones where they are being bottle fed.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-15-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Can I get baby pictures of the trophy animals I buy.
I really like the ones where they are being bottle fed.

I’m sure you can.

Do you’re homework and you can go to a farm pick your animals, and shoot them in a field the size of the one that fellow in mayorthorpe let’s people shoot his “wild boars”in.

You can also hunt farms many times bigger than the Blackfoot, with self sustaining populations.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:39 PM

If you guys want a real African Experience don't go to SA. Way better places to go where there are no fences and a real African experience. Zim is twice the place I found as SA. Lots of other great places as well. My 2 cents
Old 03-16-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Are you seeing that just in SA? I am not a big fan of the idea of going hunting there. Its the fences and buying of animals that seems to bug me. I wonder what Namibia is like?
I’m not seeing the big cuts in Namibia like I am in SA, but if you hunt the right property there’s really no difference other then generally better game quality anyway. I hunted a 45,000 acre property on the Namibia border, it was high fenced, but the only time I saw the fence was when we drove onto the property. They had elephants, Rhino, Buffalo and lions wondering around the property, and Great Plains game of course. I’d go back in a heartbeat
Old 03-16-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy View Post
This is not the magical Africa that I want on safari. Canned lions and fenced in sable and such. Go have fun. And try to avoid the two legged predators. You most likely will.
Unfortunately most people could never dream of being able to afford “real Africa”. A lion and Sable hunt in say Zambia, Mozambique or Zimbabwe is going to cost you between $70-$100K US for a 50-60% chance at getting a lion. So if you’re lucky with travel and Taxidermy you’ll get your lion home for $150K Canadian, if you’re not lucky it might cost you $250-300K. I know a guy that’s been 3 times and still no lion from Tanzania. Day fees per trip are costing him $50K US per trip.
Canned lion on 300 acres is a black eye to the industry, a captive bred lion released a months before the hunt on 45,000 is a challenge if done spot and stalk. Other then knowing the animal is there because they’ve seen it before is no different then hunting a wild Sable, it’s not like you’re going to corral him into a corner so he can’t get away.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:06 AM

A lion won't cost you $150K..... but it can
And if you have not got one after 3 trips then you are going with the wrong guys
Old 03-16-2018, 11:22 AM

And for only $15k you and your special other can have the pick of the litter!
What could be more special than cuddling your prey during the honeymoon and then "hunting" your lions on your Candy anniversary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lion-cubs-b1.jpg (175.6 KB, 45 views)

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-16-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
What could be more special than cuddling your prey during the honeymoon and then "hunting" your lions on your Candy anniversary.

I don’t get it? Are you saying that the couple killed a lion cubs after the picture was taken? Or did they return to South Africa six years after the picture was taken to hunt the Cubs after they became full grown?
Old 03-16-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I don’t get it? Are you saying that the couple killed a lion cubs after the picture was taken? Or did they return to South Africa six years after the picture was taken to hunt the Cubs after they became full grown?
The second scenario.
These captive lions, whether "hunted" on a large or small enclosure are first subjected to being coddled and smothered in lion cub petting zoos. This is how the economics of $10,000 Trophy Lions is possible.

It seems that even SCI is now trying to distance themselves from captive lion "hunting".... that really says something about the practice.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
A lion won't cost you $150K..... but it can
And if you have not got one after 3 trips then you are going with the wrong guys
He’s hunted with Adam Clement Safaris and Michel Mathius (spelling?) He has bad luck no doubt, but not hunting with the wrong guys.

With any of the big name guys other then maybe Zimbabwe where your lion might be from South Africa anyway you’re looking at $2000/day for 21 days plus another $10,000 to $20,000 trophy fee. Then pay your scout fees, $8,000 air charter, permits and kill some plains game and you’re at $70-80 easy if you get a deal. Hunt a lion in Mozambique and it’s up to $50K for a trophy fee. Maybe you’ll get it done for $100K Canadian.
Hell my Leopard/Buff hunt with your buddy was going to cost me north of $50K Canadian before I bailed on it.
When I hunted Zim in 13 my trophy fee on lion was $45K US in the Matetsi.

Wild lions = Mucho Denaro 😳
Old 03-16-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
The lions I hunted sure didn’t get to snuggle with people where they were being raised !

When you were over there WB did you get to snuggle with Lions before you went and hunted in Zimbabwe? or was it Zambia ?
Old 03-16-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
The second scenario.
These captive lions, whether "hunted" on a large or small enclosure are first subjected to being coddled and smothered in lion cub petting zoos. This is how the economics of $10,000 Trophy Lions is possible.

It seems that even SCI is now trying to distance themselves from captive lion "hunting".... that really says something about the practice.
I think $10,000 lions are possible, because they’re not importable into the US, and they need to do something with them.

South Africa does have its issues with lion hunting, but that’s where homework and research comes in.

I would rather do a properly conducted South African lion hunt on 20 000 acres, than an Alberta mountain lion hunt where you’re on standby, waiting by the phone until they find a hot track. I met one fellow 2 years ago that got the call while he was at work. Drove like a mad man from Edmonton to southern Alberta, got out of his truck followed the dogs to the tree and shot his lion, still wearing his suit pants, shirt and tie! Huge cat, he was super happy. I’m happy for him.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:26 PM

I guess my point is, you can do any type of hunt anywhere really. Poor, or great quality hunts, or experiences are not exclusive to one country, region, or species.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I guess my point is, you can do any type of hunt anywhere really. Poor, or great quality hunts, or experiences are not exclusive to one country, region, or species.
Well said sir !
Old 03-16-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
If you guys want a real African Experience don't go to SA. Way better places to go where there are no fences and a real African experience. Zim is twice the place I found as SA. Lots of other great places as well. My 2 cents
Plenty of fences in Zimbabwe too.