Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-12-2018, 10:51 AM
Banned

Default Firearms Legislation

Well I can't wait to see what common sense is going to come out of this illustrious government.

https://www.hilltimes.com/2018/03/12...rns-put/137000

Quote:
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s angry response to a rural MP’s concerns raised at a recent national caucus meeting on the Hill over the government’s upcoming gun legislation did not go over well with some Liberal MPs who say it will have a “chilling” effect on their ability to speak candidly at the closed-door meetings.

According to Liberal MPs and insiders, Mr. Trudeau (Papineau, Que.) verbally “attacked” rookie Liberal MP T.J. Harvey (Tobique-Mactaquac, N.B.), chair of the Liberal rural caucus, during the Feb. 28 national caucus meeting on Parliament Hill. Mr. Harvey stood up to say that there was a “lack” of meaningful consultation with the caucus over the government’s upcoming gun control legislation.

“Justin was much too vitriolic and attacked him,” one Liberal MP, referring to Mr. Harvey, told The Hill Times, who spoke on condition of anonymity since the closed-door caucus meetings are confidential. “We’re also supposed to have the right to voice our opinion.”

This MP said the soon to be tabled gun legislation is “scaring the hell out of the Liberal caucus,” especially the ones representing rural ridings.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:36 AM

I wouldn't count on any common sense being used to draft new regulations. The new regulations will be no more than an attempt to appease some people's emotions.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:21 PM

Default Lots of Questions

I have alot of questions. Does this mean a semi auto nor handgun ban? Does this mean a return of the gun registry? Does it mean a gun system like the UK or Austrialia? This could mean many different things, sounds like none of them are good.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:25 PM
Banned

Hard to say.

Will be interesting to see what changes there are, and how they plan to implement the changes.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I have alot of questions. Does this mean a semi auto nor handgun ban? Does this mean a return of the gun registry? Does it mean a gun system like the UK or Austrialia? This could mean many different things, sounds like none of them are good.
The fact that some of the MPs don't agree , gives me the impression that it may involves some extreme changes.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I wouldn't count on any common sense being used to draft new regulations. The new regulations will be no more than an attempt to appease some people's emotions.
Exactly, like 99% of our governments Prov/Fed useless decisions!

Amazing what politicians will do to get votes!! Such FLAKES!!
Old 03-12-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
The fact that some of the MPs don't agree , gives me the impression that it may involves some extreme changes.
That has me quite concerned as well.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yep.

Buy or sell?
Old 03-12-2018, 01:47 PM
Banned

Some funny reading on the subject. Or is it. More pathetic than funny.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/28111...ign=benshapiro

Quote:
Second Amendment advocates frequently point out that many gun control activists' focus on assault rifles is largely superficial. What distinguishes a regular semi-automatic rifle from an "assault-style" rifle often comes down to whether or not gun control activists believe it looks "scary."
In a tweet that perfectly demonstrated this often superficial approach to what guns Americans should or shouldn't be allowed to own, in the heat of the gun control push following the horrific Parkland shooting, gun control activist Moms Demand Action president Shannon Watts tweeted out an image of an intimidating looking gun that she noted can be purchased at Sportsman's Warehouse:
Its a Ruger Precision Rimfire.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:48 PM

Default I wish we had a 2nd Amendment

I wish we had something like the american 2nd Amendment. I hate having to fear for my favorite hobby every time there is a change of government. It makes being a firearms owner difficult. There are alot of firearms I would own if I wasnt fearful of changes in legislation.

I just wish we had some base line that we could count on and know that things beyond a certain point wouldnt change.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Yep.

Buy or sell?
Lol. Always buy. After the last go around I don't think people are going to be as complacent this time. I don't think the feds got the balls to come into anyone's home to çonfiscate a firearm just because someone owns one.

Last edited by Norwest Alta; 03-12-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:46 PM

I can see the sales of cosmoline going up shortly after the liberals make some poor decisions
Old 03-12-2018, 02:55 PM
Banned

From what Goodale has said I fear a return of the registry and somethink like England where you can have a handgun..if you are a target shooter and the firearm is stored at your range.
I would imagine that many MP's are against this strictly on the stupid expense of the last registry...that did absolutely nothing to curb gun violence.
Even voters who aren't pro gun don't want to waste tax money on something that is meaningless.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. awesome View Post
I can see the sales of cosmoline going up shortly after the liberals make some poor decisions
I had to Google cosmoline but seeing the search results I would agree with you.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:04 PM

Default Long Guns too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
From what Goodale has said I fear a return of the registry and somethink like England where you can have a handgun..if you are a target shooter and the firearm is stored at your range.
I would imagine that many MP's are against this strictly on the stupid expense of the last registry...that did absolutely nothing to curb gun violence.
Even voters who aren't pro gun don't want to waste tax money on something that is meaningless.
Dont you have to store your long guns at the range as well and sign them out with a specific time to return? I am also curious if the new legislation has limits on how much ammo and or gun powder reloaders can have.
times to be a firearms owner.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:05 PM

Just like last time. As long as it’s not me and my guns I don’t care if they take those guns away from those people.
Well I hope “Me People” are ready cause they are about to give you what we got decades ago.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:06 PM

Default Nra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriertxv View Post
Just like last time. As long as it’s not me and my guns I don’t care if they take those guns away from those people.
Well I hope “Me People” are ready cause they are about to give you what we got decades ago.
It will give the NRA something to point to in Canada as the slippery slope of encroaching gun bans.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Dont you have to store your long guns at the range as well and sign them out with a specific time to return? I am also curious if the new legislation has limits on how much ammo and or gun powder reloaders can have.
times to be a firearms owner.
If you have the proper licensing, and you can show that you do hunt you can have bolt action, single shot, martini action and lever actions as long as they are stored properly. At least that's what I read from their regs...I had a relative who was a hunter and considering moving there with his wife a couple years ago.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:07 PM

This BS has to end. It's not just an attack on our freedoms, it's an attack on a way of life. Simply banning something from law abiding citizens will not change a single thing with regards to gang activity or crime as a whole. You don't even have to be very bright to look at the data and come up with that conclusion.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
From what Goodale has said I fear a return of the registry, and something like England where you can have a handgun..if you are a target shooter and the firearm is stored at your range..
You might want to brush-up on your UK gun laws, or at least be more specific instead of generalizing "handguns"...
"Handguns" (AKA small firearms) have been almost completely banned* since '97.
*Unless it has a 12" barrel, is .22 rimfire if semi-auto, and is longer than 24" overall and cannot be shortened by any means.
Even the British Olympic team has to train outside the UK...
But I agree, it sounds like we're headed back to a Long-gun Registry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firear...United_Kingdom

Quote:
Pistols
The 1997 law did not ban pistols as such and was drafted in terms of small firearms.[24]:3.2 British law defines a "pistol" as a firearm with a barrel shorter than 30 cm (12 in) or a total length of less than 60 cm (24 in)[27] (this definition encompasses revolvers, revolving pistols). Only muzzle-loading pistols—including muzzle-loading revolvers—are permitted; in practice all such firearms use black powder—a Class 1 explosive—as the propellant. Small quantities of muzzle-loading pistols and revolvers in various calibres, which comply with the regulations, are manufactured.[28] All other pistols are prohibited in Great Britain, with some exceptions such as pistols used for the humane dispatch of injured animals (such as deer) and some historical firearms.

Specific models of blank-firing starting pistol that are "readily convertible" to fire live ammunition can also be banned. The Bruni Olympic .380 BBM blank-firing revolver was banned in 2010 on evidence that it was being illegally converted.[29]

Long-barrelled revolvers and pistols
"Long-barrelled revolvers" and "long-barrelled pistols" meeting specified criteria are not classified as small, and hence prohibited, firearms; it is legal, with a Firearm Certificate, to possess them. The barrel must be at least 30 cm (12 in) long, and the firearm at least 60 cm (24 in) long, which can be achieved by having a permanently attached extension to the grip or butt of the firearm. Long-barrelled single-shot firearms of any calibre, and semi-automatic pistols of .22 rimfire calibres, are permitted with FAC.[30]

Target pistols
Aside from special temporary exemptions for major events such as the 2012 Olympics, pistol shooting for sporting purposes has been effectively banned since 1997. As a result, the GB pistol squad has to practice abroad.[31]

A few models of single-shot .22 calibre free pistol, as used in the 50 m Olympic 'Free Pistol' match, have been produced to meet the "long-barrelled pistol" conditions. Some free pistols have removable stabiliser bars extending backwards to improve stability; the UK-legal models have been made with non-removable stabilisers to extend the dimensions, instead of contrived and non-functional grip extensions. Examples are the single-shot Pardini K22 Longarm[32] and the Westlake Britarms Long Pistol, a permitted .22 LR five-shot semi-automatic pistol.[33]

Last edited by FishOutOfWater; 03-13-2018 at 02:01 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:24 AM
Banned

This is the mentality of idiots today,let’s fix things that ain’t broke, why worry about the the real problems ie. opioid crisis? Knives kill more people than guns, let’s ban knives as well! We as society have to put our foot down and stop electing, useless, delusional, incompetent, halfwits! This whole thing is about people jumping on the band wagon, we don’t have leaders, we have mindless sheep, that are incapable of thinking for themselves, sure do miss the glory days of Ralph Klein
Old 03-13-2018, 08:02 AM

The way I look at it witch is probably crazy, let them ban every firearm in Canada for ten years, keep everyone’s turned-in firearms in-cases and stored properly, government sould pay me top dollar for my firearms and accessories for the opertunity to hold them and for reassurance they will return in the same condition after 5 years. I mean every firearm cops, military,security guards they all need to be confiscated.

I will hunt with a archery tackle those five years.

If that was implemented the amount of firearm violence in this country would explode with all the gangs and such morons that will always have firearms. The anti gun people will be begging for anyone to come to there rescue. Maybe we should come to the rescue survival of the fittest.

But if the antis got rid of firearms they would be board and start on something else probably bow and arrows and gasoline vehicles

I don’t know just a goofy idea I had what do you think?
Old 03-13-2018, 08:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
The way I look at it witch is probably crazy, let them ban every firearm in Canada for ten years, keep everyone’s turned-in firearms in-cases and stored properly, government sould pay me top dollar for my firearms and accessories for the opertunity to hold them and for reassurance they will return in the same condition after 5 years. I mean every firearm cops, military,security guards they all need to be confiscated.

If that was implemented the amount of firearm violence in this country would explode with all the gangs and such morons that will always have firearms. The anti gun people will be begging for anyone to come to there rescue. Maybe we should come to the rescue survival of the fittest.

But if the antis got rid of firearms they would be board and start on something else probably bow and arrows and gasoline vehicles

I will be keeping my guns in my possession and no one else's. They can get stuffed if they think any different.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I will be keeping my guns in my possession and no one else's. They can get stuffed if they think any different.

That’s exactly how I feel but we have to do something to prove to all the stupids of the world gun laws or lack of gun totally will end up not helping or being worse.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:

If you think that once firearms are banned, that they would ever be legalized again, you are dreaming. As far as the government compensating firearms owns with replacent cost if firearms are banned, good luck with that. They might be okay when some people turn in firearms worth a thousand dollars or less, but some of us have firearms/ammunition that total well into six figures. I don't see the government handing over six figures in compensation.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:52 AM
Banned

My concern - having central storage for restricted firearms. They will become worthless.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:55 AM
Banned

Quote:

Very bad idea. It took 20 years to get rid of the long gun registry...and we knew with a couple of years of it's implementation that it wasn't going to work and was costing millions more than they thought.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:58 AM
Banned

It's tough because we've got gun owners that believe no one should own a ar. These guys pizz me off more than anyone. Shat for brains comes to mind. All it takes is for most of us to say no you're not taking my guns but people are afraid to stand up and would rather lay down and take it right up their keysters. I don't like spineless people.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:58 AM

Liberals can't help but be liberals; they just can't. That means that there is a complete lack of common sense- such as believing that taking away rights and freedoms from non-criminals will stop criminals from being criminals. It just doesn't work that way. In Europe, men are criminally charged for whistling at women under new misogyny laws, but not one person has been charged in over 5000 cases of female genital mutilation crimes. The liberals sweat the small stuff while massive injustices are ignored out of convenience. I hate to say it, but I don't know if the firearms community will stick together as a group in order to stop government over-reach. If the firearm's owner who has one bolt action rifle and a pump shotgun is willing to accept any new laws that don't affect him because he doesn't own any semi auto shotguns or any rimfires that are capable of holding more than 5 rounds, then firearms owners will lose all of their rights and freedoms and lose their property; it's just a matter of time.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
Liberals can't help but be liberals; they just can't. That means that there is a complete lack of common sense- such as believing that taking away rights and freedoms from non-criminals will stop criminals from being criminals. It just doesn't work that way. In Europe, men are criminally charged for whistling at women under new misogyny laws, but not one person has been charged in over 5000 cases of female genital mutilation crimes. The liberals sweat the small stuff while massive injustices are ignored out of convenience. I hate to say it, but I don't know if the firearms community will stick together as a group in order to stop government over-reach. If the firearm's owner who has one bolt action rifle and a pump shotgun is willing to accept any new laws that don't affect him because he doesn't own any semi auto shotguns or any rimfires that are capable of holding more than 5 rounds, then firearms owners will lose all of their rights and freedoms and lose their property; it's just a matter of time.
This is exactly the problem. With so many issues.

People have no idea what individual freedoms are. They refuse to put in any effort to protect other peoples freedoms so long as what they are doing is not touched. This goes so much further than firearms.