Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-05-2018, 06:29 AM

Default Warning about CWD jumping to humans if eaten

https://www.environews.tv/081517-ven...moving-humans/
Old 03-05-2018, 09:04 AM

Damn thats scary I haven’t hunted south for along time but makes me wonder when it’s going be found in the northern part of alberta.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:04 AM

Same study that made the rounds a few months ago. Risk is still low, but showed it is theoretically possible. All the major government orgs changed there policy to encouraging people to discard known infected animals as a result.

Get your animals tested if you don't want to be the first. Odds are still very low.
A lot lower risk than climbing into a tree stand, thats for sure.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
makes me wonder when it’s going be found in the northern part of alberta.
I believe in due time time
Old 03-05-2018, 09:59 PM

If they keep releasing orphaned fawns from the CWD zones in the Caroline area it’s probably to late.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:29 PM

This study was released a few months ago and hasn't been peer reviewed
Old 03-08-2018, 01:53 PM

As I said in another thread, if that doesn't turn you off from eating humans, nothing will.

But I imagine anyplace that still practices cannibalism has bigger problems than CWD!

Drewski
Old 03-08-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
If they keep releasing orphaned fawns from the CWD zones in the Caroline area it’s probably to late.
Come again?
Old 03-08-2018, 10:32 PM

Default cwd

Get your animals tested and ensure as much as possible of the carcass is taken to a landfill(bones and other inedible bits) don't discard them in a field etc. More relevant to the guys coming south and bringing any tainted meat north, once the prion is in the area it cant be removed or destroyed.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:31 AM

More people in North America claim to have been raped by Bigfoot, than claim to have CWD induced illness.

In the states, millions of people have been eating CWD infected meat for decades, just as they've been eating deer with ticks or moose with liver flukes, yet there is not ONE documented case of CWD transferring to humans.

Why the uber caution? Why lead such a fearful life full of dreadful 'what ifs' ? Why not address real, proven, harmful issues instead?
Old 03-09-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
More people in North America claim to have been raped by Bigfoot, than claim to have CWD induced illness.

In the states, millions of people have been eating CWD infected meat for decades, just as they've been eating deer with ticks or moose with liver flukes, yet there is not ONE documented case of CWD transferring to humans.

Why the uber caution? Why lead such a fearful life full of dreadful 'what ifs' ? Why not address real, proven, harmful issues instead?
I understand what you are saying about fear mongering. If it is proven it can jump to humans through consumption by multiple reputable labs. We are in trouble.

Your post has me concerned though, how many people are raped each year by Bigfoot and what can we do to avoid this? I am assuming many cases go unreported....would you report it???
Old 03-09-2018, 12:38 PM

Default No Worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Damn thats scary I haven’t hunted south for along time but makes me wonder when it’s going be found in the northern part of alberta.
If you are anywhere near Swan Hills you have already been poisoned.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:40 PM

Default Fear Mongering ?

Like they were advised game farming was a bad idea and then there's bringing in wild boars.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I understand what you are saying about fear mongering. If it is proven it can jump to humans through consumption by multiple reputable labs. We are in trouble.

Your post has me concerned though, how many people are raped each year by Bigfoot and what can we do to avoid this? I am assuming many cases go unreported....would you report it???
I'm waiting for a 'Me Too' movement to start before I say anything ....
Old 03-11-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Because its mechanism of action is similar to known catastrophic and uncurable illnesses in humans and CWD is not well understood. Your illogic would lead us to ordering all the problems in the world and then not working on the second worst thing on earth until the first one is solved.

The next illogical question after yours is why do anything? The universe will just die an entropic heat death eventually so why address real, proven, harmful issues when if we wait long enough these problems will cease to exist?
Old 03-12-2018, 12:06 AM

According to Bruce Chesebro, M.D., chief of the Laboratory of Persistent Viral Diseases at Rocky Mountain Laboratories (RML) in Hamilton, Montana CWD and such diseases can take up to 10 years to manifest in a host.

Studies on monkeys.... Of 15 squirrel monkeys exposed orally to CWD, two displayed disease symptoms 69 months after infection.

( RML is part of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). )

So to those that choose to eat possibly infected ungulates let's talk in 5 to 10 years.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-12-2018, 12:07 AM

oops. posted twice.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-15-2018, 11:37 PM

This news is probably sponsored by the beef suppliers nation wide.