Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-28-2018, 07:46 PM
Banned

Default Sako rifles

I'm looking at purchasing a sako rifle. Got a massive bonus so time to buy a lifetime lighter rifle.ew reviews ive seen and read say there's issues with magnum and wsm not ejecting properly. Wondering if any on on here has seen or knows someone who has had these issues or any pro and cons about that
Old 02-28-2018, 08:10 PM

Buy a Cooper. Really.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:16 PM

Default Sako

I haven't had any feeding or extraction issues with my model 75 in 338 win mag or my A7 in 30-06. Or any of my Tikka's.
I stayed away from the wsm's. Personal preference

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 02-28-2018, 08:20 PM

I won't knock Sako. The ones I've seen have been pretty darn good. And although I've never heard of extraction issues it may be possible. The sako (85) action is sort of a best of both worlds set-up. It's not a true crf action and suffers for it.

But if you know your tool it works just fine.

Colin
Old 02-28-2018, 08:22 PM

A7 in 300wm works like clock work. Great rifles
Old 02-28-2018, 08:40 PM

I am also in the market for a Sako A7 Roughtech in 7mm rem mag. And have heard of those issues.

But when I talked to the guys over at P&D Enterprise. They hadn’t had any personal expletive of extraction problems.

It could be that the people that were having those issues. Just had a lemon of a gun.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:41 PM

Thumbs up Sako rifles

I've had Sako rifles in different calibers over the course of the last 30 to 40 years and found them to be highly accurate and no problems at all with feeding and extraction. However the calibers used were 222 Rem, 223 Rem and various models in 270 Win. I always thought the only flaw with Sako was that they didn't produce a rifle with stainless action and barrel. This was prior to the introduction of the model 75 in stainless and when that model came out l wasted no time in buying one. My youngest son has claimed this rifle and has used it to kill his first moose and several whitetail over the years. Good luck with your decision and never feel that you have made a poor one in choosing a Sako.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:56 PM

I have an A7 in a WSM calibre and ejection is a problem if the scope mounts are too low - the cartridge hits the scope and falls back in. Raise the scope and no issue.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:03 PM

Thumbs up Sako rifles

I've had Sako rifles in different calibers over the course of the last 30 to 40 years and found them to be highly accurate and no problems at all with feeding and extraction. However the calibers used were 222 Rem, 223 Rem and various models in 270 Win. I always thought the only flaw with Sako was that they didn't produce a rifle with stainless action and barrel. This was prior to the introduction of the model 75 in stainless and when that model came out l wasted no time in buying one. My youngest son has claimed this rifle and has used it to kill his first moose and several whitetail over the years. Good luck with your decision and never feel that you have made a poor one in choosing a Sako.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:06 PM

Please accept my apology for double post. Still trying to get the 'image verification' to work at times.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:22 PM

I have Sakos in 30-06 and 300 WSM....no issues ar all...love them so much I have 2 Weatherby’s sitting lonely and unused.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:58 PM

I have a lot of Sako rifles the only extraction issues I have ever had are on my 85 grey wolf in .260... the "grease" they used in the extractor would gum up and not allow the ejector claw to grab the case....took it out cleaned it up itty bitty wipe with fine oil,...problem solved.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:59 PM

Finnlight in 30-06. Zero complaints. It'll be one I keep forever.

There are "issues" with everything if you look hard enough on the internet
Old 02-28-2018, 10:08 PM

Default It is all in how you use them.

4 Sakos.

If you baby the action when ejecting my 338wm and 270wsm the spent casing will hit the scope and fall back in. You really have to baby them.

If you reasonably cycle the action there are no issues.

I am pretty snappy when it comes to gettting the next round in so other than trying to create the problem ( I can create it ) it has never ever been an issue.

Love my Sakos and would never buy anything else.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
A7 in 300wm works like clock work. Great rifles
Yep I'd second that. Doubt I'd even sell mine (almost 10 years old) if someone offered me full price for it. Shoots like a dream and functions flawlessly.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Buy a Cooper. Really.
^^^This^^^

I've had a few Sako's, and although there isn't anything wrong with them I don't think there's anything special about them.

You have a big bonus, buy a Cooper 92 and then you're actually into a higher end rifle.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:32 PM

I like my old Sako's. Newest one I've ever had was a 75. Didn't touch the 85's at all. The A7's are just a dressed up Tikka. If you're looking for new in the price range of the 85's, I'd shop around and compare them to what's available. Cooper and Kimber comes to mind.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:45 AM

I'd go Sako, Tikka, or Kimber Montana if you want light. Personally I find the Montana too light, at least in the 280ai I had. Recoil was ok, I just never shot it as good as my other rifles at the range.

.......as for Cooper. I've seen several between here and CGN that have gone back for warranty work, including the one I had. Mine wouldn't extract. It got fixed but took forever. Was around 8 month wait. It shot ok, but was on the heavy side.

Kimber could be a bit of a crap shoot, but I think the newer ones are all pretty decent.

All rifles can have issues, it just hurts more, when paying what I consider premium prices. If it were me, I think I'd find a nice T3, and get a wildcat stock.

Good luck, and report back please on what you get.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTurbo View Post

This wraps up your quest for perfection in rifle/calibre combo.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-01-2018, 08:04 AM

I got into a sako A7 roughteck in a 7mm rem mag last year and am very happy with the rifle. No issues. I did put the taller rings on to stay away from any ejection issues.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTurbo View Post

The new Finnlight II also looks incredible, same with the Carbon Wolf which is a little heavier than the Finnlights.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:18 AM

The ejection problems with the 85s is discussed on many forums. The general consensus is a design flaw where the cartridge is ejected on too upward an angle. Its seems to be more often noted in the medium (30-06 type) and long (conventional magnum type) actions. The size of the scope and the height of mounting the scope could possibly play a roll but many that experienced an issue solved the problem with a stronger extractor spring.

I have a 30-06 Finnlight and have had no ejection issues. I was underwhelmed with the stock however and ended up putting it in a McMillan Edge. As it sits I wouldn't trade it for anything in the same price range. It is extremely accurate and well balanced.

I was temped by the Cooper but considering only one dealer has been selling them aggressively in Alberta, I was surprised how many were on the used market. Said dealer has no less than a dozen on sale used or on consignment at any one time. Right now over 20 and many more for sale privately. One must keep in mind that anyone that owns, has sold or is selling a several thousand dollar rifle is not going to be advertising it's short comings on the internet.

On researching the Kimbers, I was again tempted but many were having to do a fair amount of tweaking and/or load development to get them shooting good. I ended up tweaking the Sako probably just as much or more but that is what scared me off at the time because I don't reload. I love the look of the Classics and may roll the dice on a 7-08 if the stars line up.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:29 AM

I have several Sako m75 rifles including magnum and SM actions. No issues at all. Bought my first Sako rifle back in 1997 and never looked back. All great shooters with factory and reloads. LOVE MY SAKO's

I have friends that have bought m75 and A7 (SS and RTP models) rifles with no issues as well. Cant really comment on the m85 models.

Another one to consider would be the Fierce rifles. Sako action style.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
I'm looking at purchasing a sako rifle. Got a massive bonus so time to buy a lifetime lighter rifle.ew reviews ive seen and read say there's issues with magnum and wsm not ejecting properly. Wondering if any on on here has seen or knows someone who has had these issues or any pro and cons about that
My suggestion is build a custom to suit your needs exactly.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
^^^This^^^

I've had a few Sako's, and although there isn't anything wrong with them I don't think there's anything special about them.

You have a big bonus, buy a Cooper 92 and then you're actually into a higher end rifle.
x2 and also look for a used Hyem, Sauer ... my .02
Old 03-01-2018, 11:51 AM

How big is your bonus?

I have a 85 hunter myself and love it. No issues.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2018, 12:49 PM

Default buy an older Sako

Back when quality mattered.I may be selling a Finnbear deluxe in 7 rem mag thinning the stable is painful when you don't wanna.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:28 PM

If it were my massive bonus I would be buying a Defiance action, Kreiger barrel, jewel trigger and a wildcat stock topped with either a NF or Swaro scope.

I have only ever owned 1 Sako, it didn’t shoot any better than any of my Tikkas.

If it was a mediocre bonus I would probably by a Tikka and put a B&C or Wildcat stock on it and still be cheaper than a Sako.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:43 PM

The problem with "custom rifles" or HIGH end rifles is resale...no one wants a custom rifle ..for the price or because they want their own "custom rifle"..and high end rifles are limited in the number of people who can afford, your used high end rifle.

Sako's sell. and if resale down the road is one of your concerns then it is worth your time to think about this.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:42 AM

I have a Fierce Edge in 270 WSM which is based on the Sako action. I've never had any problems with extraction or cycling rounds.