Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-02-2018, 08:08 AM

Sold my 85 finnlight in 308 due to ejection issues. I’ll stick with husqvarna or Carl gustaf 1900 actions.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:19 PM

Default sako makes a very good rifle.

just short of great. I had a 85 Black Bear in 30-06 and liked it a lot. Best group I ever shot was using factory Nosler Accubonds 0.58" with a 4x scope.
But like others have said, empty brass would hit said scope every time. The brass would clear 99.5% of the time. I think they should have tried harder to get the ejector blade on the side instead of bottom.
Oh it was so comfortable and easy to shoot. I would probably buy another if I was running iron sights only.
If you can spring for a Sako it's not that much more for custom.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
If it were my massive bonus I would be buying a Defiance action, Kreiger barrel, jewel trigger and a wildcat stock topped with either a NF or Swaro scope.

I have only ever owned 1 Sako, it didn’t shoot any better than any of my Tikkas.

If it was a mediocre bonus I would probably by a Tikka and put a B&C or Wildcat stock on it and still be cheaper than a Sako.
X3
Old 03-04-2018, 11:31 AM

Own a couple Sakos and have assembled a bunch of them in various cartridges. Never had an extraction/ejection problem on any of them. My personal fav is a 270wsm and it functions flawlessly. My next best is a 375H&H and it too functions perfectly. Had a 7-08, another perfect little beauty.

I hear about Medium actions and the cartridge hitting the underside of an optic, but I have never seen it on any of the rifles I have worked with. I mounted optics and had range and field time with a couple 270s and a 30-06, none of which showed any extraction/ejection problems, nor the casings impacting the optics.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:47 PM

I've been watching the used Sako market for a longtime, going to get one someday. Still haven't seen a Finnlight under 1500.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:49 PM

I started buying sako rifles in 1979 and have over 20 of them.Havent had a bad one yet and never have had issues with extraction, keep your guns clean and well oiled and I don’t think you can go wrong. Just a note AV actions are my favorited then 75s and there is nothing wrong with the 85s . Just my opinion BT
Old 03-12-2018, 01:06 PM

So I bought my SAKO A7 Roughtech pro and i am having some ejection problems.
If i baby the action it will not eject properly. If i retract the bolt with a little more power its about a 50/50 chance that it will eject, and if i go hard on the action it will eject every time.
I have noticed that it will hit my windage turret and either drop back into the action or it will eject properly.
I have a Vortex Viper PST gen 2 scope and i have it mounted on Leupold Medium height PRW Rings. I am going to grab a set of PRW high height rings and see if that makes a difference.

Besides that the Sako is smooth and i love it. I have tried a couple of other rifles and the action just isnt as smooth.
Other than that problem (hopefully the new rings help) it is a fantastic rifle.

Last edited by antonio1311; 03-12-2018 at 01:08 PM. Reason: wanted to add a little more
Old 03-13-2018, 08:12 PM

Default Sako 85

I have had three. Varmint 22-250, Finnlight 25-06, Grey Wolf 270 Win Short Mag.
Accurate? All shot extremely Well.

Pleasing to the eye? Great looking rifles.

Bolt smoothness? Have not cycled anything smoother.

Trigger? One of; if not the best adjustable in a factory rifle.

Ejection? If you like your optic scarred from plain old cycling this is the rifle for you. Never had one fall back into the action. But Each and every piece of brass out of all three was dented if you cycled the rifle normally. Learned very quickly if you wanted to save the coating on high end optics to apply electrical tape to the bottom of the scope and turret. (This looks nice!) Each 85 should be shipped with a roll of tape.
And no thanks to mounting the scope high enough so you can rest your chin 3/4 of the way up the lovely cheek piece. it doesn't make sense!

I still have pre 85 Sako rifles. Love them. 85's not so much. Hard getting around the ejection thing; when paying that kind of cash for something that should be so much better.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:53 PM

I have a 75 in 300WSM and 85 in 7 rem mag. No issues. Both can figure 8 at 200 yards.