Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-17-2019, 09:45 AM

Default APA bows?

After this years season I think I’m gonna buy a new or used compound.

I’ve got an infinite edge right now and it served my purposes but it’s not the most accurate little bow.

Does anyone have real world experience with the APA line up?
Old 11-19-2019, 06:22 AM

Solid bows, have been shooting mine for 4 years and see no reason to get a new bow. Very user friendly and excellent customer service.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:08 AM

I like my old APA M7. My buddy has a few newer APAs that he's happy with, and just bought his daughter one of their youth bows for her birthday.

It's also nice supporting a solid Western Canadian company. IMO.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:10 AM

Ive had the Moba 28XR for 2 years, and from my limited bow experience I have absolutely nothing bad to say about it. It improved my accuracy 10 fold, from my old low end starter bow.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:24 AM

Cant go wrong with APA imo
Old 11-19-2019, 08:52 PM

I had great luck with mine a Mamba Air twin flex it was fast, quiet, and light for all the packing and hiking I did this year. I’m moving into a new mamba 33MT to gain a little extra draw length and longer axle to axle for holding shots longer. Nabil the owner has always been friendly and helpful on the phone. They back there products and are made in Canada!
Old 11-19-2019, 10:29 PM

I’ve had a couple APA bows currently shooting a King cobra. I’m really happy with it.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:59 PM

I’ve been shooting an APA Viper (single cam), since 2008. I bought a new Viper Nano in 2016 (still kept my first one). In over 30 years of bow hunting, and having shot many different makes and models over the years, APA are by far my favourite so far. The viper may not be the fastest, but it is accurate, super smooth, and forgiving. Everything I could want in a hunting bow. My APA has put everything from Bighorn sheep to bull moose, and Antelope to elk in my freezer... Never had a single problem with my APA bows...
Old 11-22-2019, 08:44 AM

I’ve been shooting my mamba 34 for 3 years absolutely love it. I thought the tool Center and the fang were corny gimmicks. But the fang is the handiest thing ever no more put my bow on the ground. Haven’t used the sharpener but it weighs nothing and I know one day I will save my ass. Highly recommended apa to anyone.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:49 AM

I was a big Bowtech fan and last year bought a APA 34 tf. So far i really like it and for the handle on the riser is my favourite "gimmick"
Old 11-22-2019, 04:25 PM

Had an apa. Bought a Hoyt. Love the new bow, nothing wrong with the APA. But lord do I miss that carrying handle for walking when I don't have an arrow knocked.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:18 PM

Default I like mine

I bought mine when i got too busy with kids to practice with my stick bows. I like being able to do all the tuning without a press. Supporting a canadian co and a very shootable well engineered bow.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:22 AM

I love seeing all the positive feedback about APA bows! I too love mine, I’ve owned several now. Never had any problems, went from a viper v7 to a mamba and now back to viper nano. We also got one for my fiancé who shoots now too and she loves it, the Viper Air. Can’t wait till the kids are old enough to give me a reason to buy a rattler for them. The carry handle and fang are very realistic features (never mind the gimmicks bs) that you don’t know you’re missing until you’ve tried them afield. Overall APA builds a quality bow that will last a long long time. I’ve learned how to tune mine myself and it’s rather easy and enjoyable with the cam lock system. I even change my own strings now. Being Canadian made... western Canadian made, I’ll support them till the end.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:07 PM

2013 70 lb viper nano here. Love it! smooth, quiet, accurate, forgiving, easy to maneuver, was easy to setup tune, never goes out of tune (worlds best brand custom string, setup by LOSTarrow), solid back wall with the micro adjustable limb stops, just plain works every time. Love the carry handle and riser fangs. 6 years later and haven’t found a reason to change.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:39 AM

I have a Viper Nano too. 2 years ago I switched to a Bowtech Realm.

Here is what I prefer about the Bowtech:
- Smoother shooting
- Slightly faster
- I am more accurate with it
- quieter

Here is what I miss about my APA:
- Handle. first and foremost, its legit. I can't believe other manufacturers don't have a feature like this, anytime you are hunting or walking you have to carry your bow, so it makes sense
- Weight and size. The apa is lighter and shorter which makes carrying it a treat.
- Feel of the grip. I just liked it.
- The fang

Overall I love my Bowtech but I miss all the little things about the APA. I will say the APA is significantly more "jumpy" then by Bowtech.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:48 AM

Default X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
. I will say the APA is significantly more "jumpy"
I feel my apa is jumpy too. I pull hard into the wall at shot time but letting it down can be downright violent if you're not paying attention.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotter View Post
I feel my apa is jumpy too. I pull hard into the wall at shot time but letting it down can be downright violent if you're not paying attention.
Yes, I totally agree. It was less of a problem before the Bowtech, but after getting used to my Realm, when I pick up the APA it seems significantly more jumpy.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Yes, I totally agree. It was less of a problem before the Bowtech, but after getting used to my Realm, when I pick up the APA it seems significantly more jumpy.
Do you mean jumpy just when you let it down after drawing it?
Old 11-26-2019, 10:18 PM

The viper nano is not at all jumpy, meaning wanting to take off when you are at full draw but aren’t pulling hard into the wall - once it’s set up right. I had the same issue and it’s user correctable. Draw length set too long and/or stops set too short. Adjust accordingly and it gives you a wonderful dwell zone. Be aware that different brands can vary by over 1/2 inch on their actual draw length vs markings. So if you are 28 and you set different bows to 28, you could be pulling anywhere between 27-29. Combine this with variable loop size and adjustable stops, it’s easy to end up at the wrong spot in the power curve. APA is known to be long. So if you are 28, try 27.5. If that feels better but not perfect, move your stops a little.

Letting down a 70 lb bow is always violent. Prime is probably the only one that is “easy” to let down. But then...how many times do you need to let down? Not often, not what I would consider a performance factor when buying
Old 11-26-2019, 10:40 PM

That is the 1 major issue with APA is they are known to draw long. Not a huge issue if they had a rotating DL module, but if you need to buy a mod for each DL then it can get expensive. I wonder what would happen if you called Nabil and asked him to lets say put a 28" mod on and then put the bow in a draw board and measure the draw length. If they were willing to do that, then I might consider an APA. The other thing I don't like about the long DL is that it allows them to inflate their IBO ratings. Not that I am a speed freak but it is sure nice when a bow meets or exceeds IBO.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:48 PM

I recently had a buddy over and he brought his APA that he hadn't shot in a couple years due to a shoulder injury. He drew the bow and looked like a backwards banana and the string was 1 inch past his nose. We lowered his draw length by 2 inch and low and behold he was standing straight and drawing the bow with ease. When your DL is too long (especially 2 inches) your shoulder has lost alot of it's pulling power before you hit the valley. If this happens then that is when you risk tearing something in your shoulder due to the heavy weight and your shoulder at a weird angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG0nb01SGMA

This a great video on the importance of a proper DL
Old 11-26-2019, 11:53 PM

It’s a well known thing for sure. Like blowtech and their exploding limbs, Hoyt reporting lower than actual weights for their carbon bows, Mathews and their BS hype attack on dual cams, PSE string track jumping. Prime and their...kinda dumb commercial I guess. Lol.

Personally IBO is about as interesting as net score. If the arrow goes where it should and the deer dies and tastes good, I’m happy. Most guys who attack Nibal over this are strangely quiet about the other companies failures. If that’s the only bad thing that can be said about APA, I’ll buy another
Old 11-27-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
That is the 1 major issue with APA is they are known to draw long. Not a huge issue if they had a rotating DL module, but if you need to buy a mod for each DL then it can get expensive. I wonder what would happen if you called Nabil and asked him to lets say put a 28" mod on and then put the bow in a draw board and measure the draw length. If they were willing to do that, then I might consider an APA. The other thing I don't like about the long DL is that it allows them to inflate their IBO ratings. Not that I am a speed freak but it is sure nice when a bow meets or exceeds IBO.
Draw length varies between all manufacturers that said my draw length never changed when I switched to an APA if you think their ibo ratings are inflated you should check out the archery talk magazine they compare bows apples to apples and APAs are still the fastest they have ever tested! But the internet has to find something to complain about them because how could a Canadian company ever compete with what comes out of the USA.... The bottom line is you will never be disappointed with an APA their product and customer service is second to none the negative comments on here are from keyboard warriors who have no real experience with the product Good luck to the OP with your search
Old 12-08-2019, 02:12 PM

They are not cheap but they are darn good bows. I bought a used M6 and wouldn't trade it for any Hoyt (maybe the helix or Mathews. Very accurate and for me personally the back wall is exactly what i needed to shoot better

Ill say it as others have. supporting local company's is always a good investment

Go to Jim bows and try the new lineups for a range fee.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopithorne View Post
Draw length varies between all manufacturers that said my draw length never changed when I switched to an APA if you think their ibo ratings are inflated you should check out the archery talk magazine they compare bows apples to apples and APAs are still the fastest they have ever tested! But the internet has to find something to complain about them because how could a Canadian company ever compete with what comes out of the USA.... The bottom line is you will never be disappointed with an APA their product and customer service is second to none the negative comments on here are from keyboard warriors who have no real experience with the product Good luck to the OP with your search
ok... lol. sorry to hurt your feeling.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlonski View Post
They are not cheap but they are darn good bows. I bought a used M6 and wouldn't trade it for any Hoyt (maybe the helix or Mathews. Very accurate and for me personally the back wall is exactly what i needed to shoot better

Ill say it as others have. supporting local company's is always a good investment

Go to Jim bows and try the new lineups for a range fee.
Jimbows doesn’t carry APA but you can try any bow on their rack for free to help in your decision making process.

LC
Old 12-09-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Jimbows doesn’t carry APA but you can try any bow on their rack for free to help in your decision making process.

LC
Yes sorry I should have clarified that. Might have a used APA on the shelf at Calgary archery centre.

Lane archery in lethbridge is a APA dealer and they are great to deal with.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
The one major issue you mention is really not an issue. To determine my APA draw length I spoke to Nibel . He told me the way they determine draw length , I did it the way he instructed and came up with 27.5. Shipped my bow to me and low and behold it fit. Numbers don't really matter so much as proper fit, for a Hoyt I shoot closer to 28.25
Old 12-09-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter gatherer View Post
The one major issue you mention is really not an issue. To determine my APA draw length I spoke to Nibel . He told me the way they determine draw length , I did it the way he instructed and came up with 27.5. Shipped my bow to me and low and behold it fit. Numbers don't really matter so much as proper fit, for a Hoyt I shoot closer to 28.25
For a company that has limited dealers and does a ton of online sales in Canada and the USA, I do believe it is an issue when there is an "industry standard" draw length and then there is an "APA draw length". Just pointed out to the OP that APA's drawing long is a known issue. Other than that they seem to be a solid bow and I wish my bow had a fang and carrying handle like APA. IBO is based off 70 lbs, 30" draw and 350 grain arrow. So when APA puts on their 30" mod and it actually draws 30.75 to 31", that is how the IBO gets inflated. APA is not the only company that does this or is known to draw long. My Evolve 35 at 90% draws 3/4" long. Not a problem as it has a rotating mod. If I had to buy a different mod than I probably would have been ticked that it was not drawing to true length. My Bowtech's and Hoyt's have been spot on and several Primes I had were like the Evolve and draw long.

It was only a heads up to the OP.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:44 AM

If you are interested in APA and can stomach joining Facebook, check out this chat group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Archerybuysellcanada/

There is a few APA's forsale at really good used prices.

Good Luck with your search