Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-12-2019, 11:47 PM

Default Looking to get in to trad shooting

I am looking to get in to trad shooting. I shot compound for years. But sold it when stuff got busy with kids. Kids are still small but I have more time to commit to bow now, and the simple things appeal more and more to me.
Hence why I want to try a long bow. Was thinking about 50lb my draw length is 28" dont want to break the bank. Would be happy with a used bow. Any place specifically around edmonton I should go for long bows?
Any and all Info is welcome. Could be interested in taking a intro course or follow an experienced trad guy.
Thanks
Brad
Old 11-13-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
I am looking to get in to trad shooting. I shot compound for years. But sold it when stuff got busy with kids. Kids are still small but I have more time to commit to bow now, and the simple things appeal more and more to me.
Hence why I want to try a long bow. Was thinking about 50lb my draw length is 28" dont want to break the bank. Would be happy with a used bow. Any place specifically around edmonton I should go for long bows?
Any and all Info is welcome. Could be interested in taking a intro course or follow an experienced trad guy.
Thanks
Brad
There’s thenalberta traditional bow hunters association...check the website.

There’s a big contingent of trad hunters in Edmonton.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:03 AM

Poke Petew here if he doesn't jump in. He had a pile of used longbows on the buy and sell. He's the go to guy here for traditional and usually has a stable full of long bows. Might be a starting point.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the info. Any one have experience with the Martin "the stick" I found one for 100.00 price seems good but I read some reviews that weren't great.
Brad
Old 11-13-2019, 08:18 AM

I spoke to jack Kempf a few years ago. Very nice and interesting man. Cant find any info on him now. Is he still making bows?
Old 03-11-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I spoke to jack Kempf a few years ago. Very nice and interesting man. Cant find any info on him now. Is he still making bows?
Yep. One of his bows was just auctioned off at the Sherwood Park Archery Club's silent auction. Jack is a founding member and was just there last week shooting. There is also the Jack Kempf Traditional 3d shoot coming up and he is sure to be in attendance.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I have known Jack for about 25 years and have several bows that he made for me , the last one I had him do for a retirement present to myself this past November
He is still making bows , yes , give him a call (780) 467 3939
Cat
Old 03-11-2020, 10:54 PM

Thanks Cat
Good to know he's still building. And congrats on the retirement in the fall!
Brad
Old 03-11-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks Cat
Good to know he's still building. And congrats on the retirement in the fall!
Brad
Thanks! My favourite expression these days is
" Every day is Saturday"!
Cat
Old 03-12-2020, 08:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Thanks! My favourite expression these days is
" Every day is Saturday"!
Cat
Lucky guy! I still have a year and a half to go. My favourite expression is still "god, will Saturday never come"
Old 03-21-2020, 11:33 AM

Here is my 2 cents having been a traditional only shooter for the past 7 years. If you have 600 dollars to invest you should set yourself up as follows:

A samick sage or mandarin duck black rock longbow will set you back ~200 get one with 40lb limbs as you will learn a lot quicker and develop proper form. They are great bows at any price point.

6 600 spined arrows with 125gr tips, this should approximately be appropriate depending on draw length. Fetched with feathers.$ 80-100

Go online and buy the solid archery mechanics course from Tom clum sr. This will give your coaching not only to shoot properly and accurately. But how to shoot in the best interest of your body, as I know quite a few shooters who have to give up the sport, switch hands or only only shoot the lightest poundages. This will run you ~300 depending on the exchange rate but is the most important money you will ever spend on the sport.

Custom bows can be bought second hand from kijiji all the time, but will be of little value if you don’t have the skills to match. Pay close attention to bow length vs your draw length. As stacking and finger pinch can ruin a shooter before they start.

Also most archery clubs have a group of trad shooters who get together from time to time. This is a great way to learn and enjoy the sport. Send me a pm anytime as I’m not in your area but can lend advice whenever is needed.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:27 PM

Default Up date on my venture into trad

Well I picked up that Howatt stick last year, was shooting almost every day in to the spring, It's a tiny, light, beautiful bow thats crazy slow and has a lot of hand shock. but it shoots great and is a pleasure to carry.
I got a lot of info from Tom Clum, and Arnie Moe, as well as Fred Asbell and every old timer I could get info on. I cant stomach listening to instafamous self promotion, marketing...... Although there is one Pod cast I can actually get through, TradQuest they get stick bow legends on to chat with them, I highly recommend it.
I started looking for other bows so I could figure out what I actually like to shoot. My brothers shoot recurves so I got shooting a black widow and a Hoyt, shot a couple old Bears. Found I like long bows, I found a 55# Bear Patriot used and started flinging arrows with that. its more than a little faster than the stick, Ive been shooting both going back and forth, really am enjoying it. Rolled a round bale in to the yard for the summer, enjoyed shooting in the evenings when the kids are in bed. But im back in the garage with the dog again, except for weather like we are having now, flung a couple in to the bale today.
I made up my mind in Aug that I would just hunt rifle this year, so I spent this fall doing that, the whole time I was wishing I had my bow in my hand, I couldn't stop thinking about hunting next year. I harvested a nice white tail on my property with my old brno that I love carrying, but .....

Sooooo I called Jack Kempf the other day, and I'm going to go have a visit with him this week to look at ordering a bow. I have chatted to a few on here who shoot or have shot Jacks bow's, thanks for the info,(Petew, Cat, deNomad)
Im looking at his Little Grizzly 56"ish 50# or just under, I draw 27". But I will chat to the MAN himself and see what he suggests for the hunting I plan on doing.
Its going to be great to have something to look forward to in this **** hole of a year!
I would love to hear from anyone who has stories of Mr. Kempf or his bows.
Brad
Old 12-07-2020, 05:43 AM

He’s a gentleman and makes nice bows. I’m sure he will make something that fits you well.