Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-02-2019, 11:25 PM

Default Spypoint Link-micro trail camera question

Curious, I purchased one of these cameras and have had nothing but problems with it. Has anyone had experience good / bad or otherwise?

The clarity of the pictures are terrible, it takes hundreds of pictures of nothing using all my monthly account allotted photo's, and chews through SD cards and batteries like they are candy.

If there is a way to fix this, please let me in on the secret.

k
Old 11-03-2019, 11:18 AM

Mine works great.

Same batteries from Spring bear in now and still shows 60% left.

Photo quality on the app is low, but on the A’s card they are great (perfectly timed pic of my bear and you can clearly see the arrow nock).

Check your delay, sensitivity and multi shot settings in the app, will update the next time the camera transmits.

I picked up the external antenna as where i set it up is pretty hit and miss. Transmits on 2/5 signal reliably.

In the end it is a $200 cellular trail cam and performs as such. I imagine the $400 ones would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2019, 04:21 PM

I agree with both of you.....
I own two and setting them up initially has been a real pain - especially if you have anything less than a strong signal.
As pointed out the external booster antenna is a good addition but adds to the total cost of the package.
Having said that, while quality of the pics are relatively poor via the app(on your phone) the actual pics taken and stored locally on your SD card are quite decent and for the price I think it is a good choice.
I will say that since Spypoint expanded its line of cameras their customer service has declined miserably to the point where you can and will wait 2 hours on hold to talk to someone and there is a good chance they wont be able to answer your questions in the end.
Most of the comments are "have you tried reformatting the card", or "make sure you have good signal", which is the old Dell equivalent of "have you tried turning your computer off and then on again".......
Old 11-03-2019, 10:12 PM

Default camera

Im into this camera for 24 lithium Ion batteries, 2 SD cards, and two months of the "plan" which was $10 bucks a month.

I am happy to hear some success stories out of this camera.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:35 AM

I have 3 of these cameras out in the field. For being able to get them at $160 on sale, you can’t expect the same quality as a $5-600 cell camera.

I have a couple of mine set in locations where I get quite a few animals, so I have the frequency of sending pictures set to twice per day. Batteries (lithium) have been no issue at all for the 3 months they have been out. The other location has minimal activity, only when elk wander through, so I have it set to send 6 times a day, have had it out for a month and it has been fine.

One of my cameras does send 4-5 false triggers ever time it sends pictures. I have the camera set to send me pics at 5:45am and pm. So I will get multiple pictures every day dated at 5:45am and pm. A little annoying but pretty minor for what you pay for.

And lastly, unfortunately I have to agree with everyone else on customer service. I have been using Spypoint for 6-7 yrs, and their customer service has absolutely nose dived the last year or so. Hopefully it gets better, because they will lose a lot of business if it doesn’t.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2019, 01:46 PM

Yup.....35 minutes on hold with SPYPOINT today. Then all of a sudden after listening to that tape recording the line went silent then dead. Disconnected.

Why am I surprised given this camera has already given me all these problems...... super disappointing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk