Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-09-2019, 11:00 AM

Photos won’t seem to upload. Anyone have issues with that before?

Last edited by bullwinkle97; 09-09-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:59 PM

I started using Tapatalk on my phone. It’s very easy to add photos through the app.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-09-2019, 04:38 PM

Could you kill your bull closer to the road next time Mike?!? That was a retrieval and a half!! Nothing a chainsaw couldn’t get through! Lol. Good shooting, been crappy weather and wind since you left!
Old 09-09-2019, 07:11 PM

I’ve had an incredibly busy summer, and was completely unable to do ANY preseason scouting... didn’t even make it out for a hunt until this past Friday/Saturday.
My youngest son (Matty)turned 12 this year, and although he got a nice bear this spring, couldn’t wait to try for an archery deer. We sat in our whitetail stand Friday night, but didn’t have any bucks come within his comfortable range.

Saturday we had planned to sit the same stand, but the wind was wrong, so we decided to scout out for elk and mule deer, and hopefully get a stalk opportunity. Our first area was fogged in pretty thick, so we decided to head down to one of our favourite ranches along the red deer river. Matty spotted the bachelor group first. They were mixed in with some does, heading off an alfalfa field up into the hills along the valley edge. Fortunately, as they slowly fed their way up the slopes, the does split off, and it was just the bucks heading up into a finger coulee with low brush. There were 4 bucks initially... our target buck, the biggest (obviously) a solid, symmetrical170-175” 4x4, and two little dinky bucks. We got lucky and watched them bed down from the truck, high on a bank, with a little brushy bench about 40 yards in front of them. I was confident that if there were no other hidden deer in between us, i could make it to that bench and get a shot! Matty decided to stay in the truck with the spotting scope and radio and talk me in, and NOT have to make the long climb up the valley.
Unfortunately, as always seems to happen in those hills, they were LOADED with other deer. Does and small bucks scattered around everywhere, and i didn’t make it within 300 yards of the target bucks before does busted out from below me, ran up the hill TOWARDS me, passed by me 40 yards away, and straight to the bucks. The whole group spooked up and over the horizon.
Thinking they were gone for the day, i started making my way back to the truck, but i was barely down to the base of the when Matty called on the radio to tell me the bucks were back and heading into the very next drainage upstream from me!
In order to get the wind back in my favour, i had to hike one finger coulee upstream before starting my stalk, during my walk, i came across the biggest bull snake i have ever seen, sunning itself on the hillside. Matty wanted me to grab it and bring it home to mess with the girls, but instead i left it and continued.
Anyway, I relocated the deer, by which time they had bedded in the shade, with a good wind. They were on the left side (from me, facing downhill towards the river) of a shallow drainage with waist high brush in the deepest part, but with a perfect heavily used cattle trail going right through the brush. I was able to silently crab-walk down this cattle trail, using the brush as visual cover. Along the way, i removed my boots to quiet my footsteps.
I closed the distance to the group of deer bedded on the hill. There were 4 bucks, and a doe with fawn had joined the group as well. The 175” buck was bedded broadside at 40 yards, with the two little bucks behind him, and the big buck fattest at 55 yards. All i could see was his head. So i sat and waited... 4.5 hours i waited on that hillside. ALL the other deer got up and moved around multiple times in those hours, and i was tempted over and over again to shoot the 175” buck, but self control prevailed.
Finally he stood up. Facing almost directly away from me, offering no shot. I readied my bow, thinking that since he was calm, he would soon start feeding towards the other deer, or at least moving enough to give me a shot. But no - he turned quickly and bedded right back down facing me. Again all i could see was his face and antlers. DAMN!
This time though, the wait was only about 10 minutes before he stood and turned broadside, looking down the slope towards the river. I quickly drew my bow, rose onto my knees to rise above the brush, settled the pin behind his shoulder and squeezed the release. The arrow hit him far back, he kicked and tore off down the slope and out of sight. I wanted to give him time, due to the poor shot, but wanted to relocate him as quickly as i could, so i gathered my gear, put my boots back on and climbed back to the top, and began walking/glassing along the valley rim to find him again. It didn’t take long. He was in the very next drainage over, and hurt badly. Wobbling on his feet, he tried keeping up with the other deer, but they outpaced him, and he gave up on running and bedded down. He had only gone about 100-150 yards. I got Matty on the radio and told him the deer was down - but not dead. I wanted to see if i could sneak up and get another arrow into him, but wanted to give him 20 minutes or so to weaken, to ensure he didn’t get up and take off. I watched the buck as Matty made the walk up from the truck, and as we approached the deer, we could see that he was dead. We took some pictures, and the landowner friend of mine was good enough to allow us to borrow his side by side. We were able to drive right to the buck and load him up!
Unfortunately, he tore some of the velvet off when he dropped, but it will still make for a beautiful mount. We green scored him today at 194-6/8 gross.

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:52 PM

What a monster SVO! Good on you!
Old 09-09-2019, 08:53 PM

That’s a great deer. Congrats and thanks for taking the time to write out the story. You’re a patient man.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-09-2019, 11:09 PM

Congrats on a great buck!
Old 09-10-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin4570 View Post
Could you kill your bull closer to the road next time Mike?!? That was a retrieval and a half!! Nothing a chainsaw couldn’t get through! Lol. Good shooting, been crappy weather and wind since you left!

Thanks for all the help! 2 chainsaws... been rotten down here too. All the more time to finally finish getting that beast into the freezer paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2019, 07:01 AM

Very nice buck!
Old 09-11-2019, 07:05 AM

Awesome Mulie! Congrats!

DR

Old 09-12-2019, 08:14 AM

Not a monster by any standard but will make some damn fine table fixin's this year! My first year back bowhunting and last night was my first night out. He came in to some locating bugles then committed when we gave hootchie mama a little squeeze. Shot him at 30 yards. Not a great picture as it was more of an afterthought, prior to skinning.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:03 AM

Nice bull! Congrats!
Old 09-12-2019, 10:13 AM

Nice bull Deezel. Good field care makes great table fare.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:40 AM

Default 2019 Archery Harvest Thread....Post your pics!!!!

Got my first moose yesterday morning! He came in raking brush and grunting softly then walked in for a 15 yard shot. Gave him an hour to expire and turns out he didn’t make it 70 yards. Almost a pass through with the arrow just holding by the fletching. Attachment 157523

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
Got my first moose yesterday morning! He came in raking brush and grunting softly then walked in for a 15 yard shot. Gave him an hour to expire and turns out he didn’t make it 70 yards. Almost a pass through with the arrow just holding by the fletching. Attachment 157523

Good eating. Congrats

BW
Old 09-15-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Good eating. Congrats

BW

Thanks BW

Old 09-15-2019, 01:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
Thanks BW

Perfect shot too,,,great job,,,im sure it will taste great
Old 09-15-2019, 07:09 PM

6:55 this morning elk season ended.

LC
Old 09-15-2019, 07:34 PM

Just WOW Lefty.
Pure awesomeness

On a side note, according to YouTube, if you don’t make tomahawk chops, Joe Rohan actually phones you and publicly shamed you.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
Just WOW Lefty.
Pure awesomeness

On a side note, according to YouTube, if you don’t make tomahawk chops, Joe Rohan actually phones you and publicly shamed you.
Lmao, thanks man. This is my personal best elk. It was go big or go home this year and I am pretty stoked about it.

LC
Old 09-15-2019, 07:51 PM

Few days old but I’m just figuring out how to post photos.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
What a huge bull Lefty, congrats!!!
Old 09-15-2019, 09:03 PM

Great shot on that elk LC what a brute too!

Rugerfan downed a really good looking WT rack.

Hoping to hear about the stories behind the hunts of these
two.

Congratulations to the both of you.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:47 PM

Great bull Lefty!
Old 09-15-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:

LC
Tank! Congratulations!

BW
Old 09-15-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerfan View Post

Few days old but I’m just figuring out how to post photos.
Beauty early season buck. Congratulations!

BW
Old 09-16-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:

LC

Well.... No story? It would be nice to hear if that beauty came in on a cow call, buggle.. spot and stalk etc....
Old 09-16-2019, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
Well.... No story? It would be nice to hear if that beauty came in on a cow call, buggle.. spot and stalk etc....
It was actually a bit of both.

Great morning, heard bugles first thing as I rolled out of camp. Hiked in the dark to a spot I had a stand and a group of cows was crossing religiously every morning. This morning was different no cows and a bull calling his face off 1-2miles away. I knew where he was headed and I knew I could beat him there. So I hustled to the open meadow paralleling the screams and bugles from the bull. Got into position and made a few short cows calls, he came in on a string tried to circle down wind through the open. I was on my knees arrow nocked behind a bush and peeked up, Range 45 yards...he saw me draw but hasn’t figured it out yet, pin on the spot, release the arrow. Arrow buried to the fletch, he turns and runs but a few quick cow calls stops him quartering away. Range 87 yrds...nock, draw, release...hang time and thwack another solid hit. He turns and stops now facing away. Bolts 10 yards into the bush and crashes...the biggest bull I have ever shot is now down. I took a full 30 minutes even though I knew he was down and only 100 yards away. Just time to reflect and appreciate the life we as hunters choose to live.

LC
Old 09-16-2019, 07:03 AM

Great whitetail Ruger!

And awesome Bull Lefty

Congrats to both of you and thanks for posting.

DR

Old 09-16-2019, 07:37 AM

Some awesome animals harvested fellas. Love the velvet whitetail and that is a great bull congrats on a personal best Lefty.