Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-24-2019, 12:40 PM
Banned

Draped a freshly killed moose skin over a stump and some piled up logging debris in the early 1980s , About 200 yards from a very busy interprovincial highway. ( no shooting for 400 meters zone ) ,

A few days later a buddy and myself pulled it down and lay it upside down on the ground, we counted over 30 bullet holes in the moose hide,

There was only ONE bullet hole in the shoulder when we hung it there,

I would NOT Wear a moose decoy clothing anytime,,

Best left to the Dum and Dummer Twins
Old 09-24-2019, 09:32 PM

No need to make your own! The work has already been done for you!

If you don't need the whole outfit, you can get just the hat!

And if you're looking for deer, well, here you go! Ha ha!

Just take a look on Amazon, they have all sorts of treasures there - moose, deer, bear - even a squirrel and cow! You'll for sure be the most successful hunter in the woods. I just feel it will be true!

Old 09-24-2019, 10:36 PM

Note to everyone with a moose tag.... don't shoot a moose wearing an orange vest!!

To the OP.... wear an orange vest!!

And if it works, I'll take one in XL
Old 10-18-2019, 10:39 PM

I tried a stalk on opening weekend (Sept 1st) when I spotted a couple decent bulls in a canola field. I had black fabric over top the brown antlers to simulate full velvet, but they wandered off the other way. I had seen them while driving and then parked the truck behind some cover and then came out wearing the decoy - probably not the stealthiest. Anyway, after overlooking my picture and scouting notes of live moose, I knew the wearable decoy needed a few adjustments.

I too noticed the lack of proper nose so that was the first piece I added. In addition to that, ears. Ears are very noticeable on any moose. I also lowered and hump and rump. The nose turned out great because it covered my face while stalking (just giving enough sight to see what's happening but avoiding eye contact and bright shiny face). The best part is that when I am presented with a shooting opportunity, the bowstring fits between the antler and nose perfectly with my head turned to the side. Version #2 was exactly what I was going for - a wearable decoy that I could shoot with.

I have hunted moose my entire life and have a lot of experience with closer encounters, cow calling moose and just moose hunting in general. I wanted to try something different for this hunt which is why I went overboard on the decoy. I definitely look like an ISIS dude with the nose tilted up. From my experience, moose never charge right away, they size each other up and posture before clashing antlers, so the plan is to get an arrow into a bull when he turns broadside in the posturing mode. I will be carrying an air-horn for safety as well in order to call the entire thing off. And the helmet comes off in no time to also help cancel the stalk. There are usually are warning signs before they charge like nostrils flaring and ears titled back and eyes wide open. Moose are generally slow-moving and I only plan to challenge P&Y bulls or the same size as my antlers, so young dumb ones won't be a problem.

Old 10-18-2019, 11:25 PM

Good thing you are doing that in the bow zone. Up north I put an orange vest on a moose head strapped to my quad so I don't get shot.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:45 AM

Default Moose antlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Good thing you are doing that in the bow zone. Up north I put an orange vest on a moose head strapped to my quad so I don't get shot.
I hunted moose all over nfld for many years,and carried a light white bed sheet to wrap antlers,for safety reasons.When the moose pop 1st exploded,many would tie the moose head on the truck cab,to show off.This didnt last long-A hunting party slowly grinding out a very bad road with a rack on top,were fired upon, by a group of screech soppers high upon a hill-fortunately the iron sited lee enfields,were not effective,for the obvious reason--The show offsquickly put some distance from the truck until the volley stopped.To wear a moose decoy in nfld one would need a death wish-----
Old 10-19-2019, 12:53 AM

Default Decoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMhunt View Post
Draped a freshly killed moose skin over a stump and some piled up logging debris in the early 1980s , About 200 yards from a very busy interprovincial highway. ( no shooting for 400 meters zone ) ,

A few days later a buddy and myself pulled it down and lay it upside down on the ground, we counted over 30 bullet holes in the moose hide,

There was only ONE bullet hole in the shoulder when we hung it there,

I would NOT Wear a moose decoy clothing anytime,,

Best left to the Dum and Dummer Twins
WL officers,down east from time to time use decoys,to catch road shooters.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:09 PM

Really funny thread.

You guys have more guts than Gainers! I don't like Moose meat near well enough to dress up like one in Bow or Rifle season. Also, there are lots of folks shooting Moose year round with a rifle. Glad you are having fun but if this is common I am absolutely amazed there haven't been a bunch of guys shot.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Really funny thread.

You guys have more guts than Gainers! I don't like Moose meat near well enough to dress up like one in Bow or Rifle season. Also, there are lots of folks shooting Moose year round with a rifle. Glad you are having fun but if this is common I am absolutely amazed there haven't been a bunch of guys shot.
BRL is a buddy of mine and any hunter who would shoot that moose on a 10 yr draw needs their head examined . Not to mention it only had front legs

LC
Old 10-19-2019, 05:35 PM

Hope there isn't any keepers of the land out during bow season...
Old 10-19-2019, 10:13 PM

Getting close to a moose that wants to come in is no big task, even if he is bit stubborn you can rattle, call, beat the brush with just a good dry stick.

To dress up like one in rifle season when guys are looking to kill one is very risky,if your on some fly in trip and you know your alone it would be funny, but still risky.

Big bulls sometimes make a racket coming in, but sometimes there right on top of you before you know it so ditching the costume maybe hard to do if he spots you first and being flung around in your moose suit by a 60 inch rack is not going to be the thrill you were counting on.Just keep the number for an airlift handy and I don't mean for the moose.

It's just meat so don't over think it.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:24 PM

Default Moose antlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
And what happened to the guy in the rear was even worse!

BW
OMG! The whole family was busting a gut when I read them this one!
Old 10-27-2019, 01:37 AM

Default decoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
WL officers,down east from time to time use decoys,to catch road shooters.
I was deer hunting in area 414 a few years ago,and found a fair size bull moose about a 100m off the road,He had been shot,there was a dusting of snow,he dropped when he was hit.I reported it to the wildlife officers,They told me some one was roadside shooting animals and leaveing them to rot.I told a friend a week or two later,he asked if I could get the rack.I called the wildlife,they said they had caught some guys with the help of a decoy.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
I was deer hunting in area 414 a few years ago,and found a fair size bull moose about a 100m off the road,He had been shot,there was a dusting of snow,he dropped when he was hit.I reported it to the wildlife officers,They told me some one was roadside shooting animals and leaveing them to rot.I told a friend a week or two later,he asked if I could get the rack.I called the wildlife,they said they had caught some guys with the help of a decoy.
That’s great news! But bad news if you’re wearing a decoy
Old 11-06-2019, 10:52 PM

You should add a go pro so they can ID the killer moose that runs ya down. Not sure if this will end bad for the moose or you but I’m damn excited to find out !!!!
Old 11-06-2019, 10:55 PM

I’m thinking you lose the antlers add a tail to your forehead, paint your lips pink and part em pretty. The bulls will really come running then !!!!
Old 11-07-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
Has anyone ever made a wearable moose decoy (2 guys - one behind the other for challenging bulls). Antlers included. Looking for ideas.

Sounds like a good opportunity to get some lead thrown your direction........