Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-19-2018, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the entertainment fellas! I'm able bodied so I can Bow Hike, not much of a Bow Hunter yet. Maybe the solution is making cross bow permits more accessible for people with injuries / disabilities. I don't think allowing everyone to use a crossbow during archery seasons in the solution. Getting into Bow Range and pulling a trigger is a hell of a lot easier then drawing back a bow and trying to get a shot. If you think otherwise your either a much better hunter then I, or you haven't done much Bow Hiking. Allowing cross bows during the general archery seasons will result in higher harvest rates, which will reduce overall opportunity in the long term.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Knee Jerk response or otherwise, it implies that you are opposed to any type of proficiency examination, even when it comes to such a complex and difficult tool to master as a Compound Bow.

If proof of proficiency is such a bad idea it would be interesting to see your list of reasons why. Listing what you see as potential barriers to effective
testing is fine but those can be addressed. Similar testing has been implemented and proven effective in Europe and elsewhere for many years so many good examination models already exist. Where there is a will, there is a way.
Not opposed, but think logistically it is not going to happen. I did google archery proficiency testing and it looks like Minnesota requires certification to hunt their Metro zone; couldn't locate any others but they may exist.

MBRB test requirement are:

Standard qualification: 5 of 5 arrows in a 7″ circle at 20 yards.
Sharpshooter qualification: 5 of 5 arrows in a 4″ circle at 20 yards.
This test can only be taken once per day!

Not sure what the difference is between standard and sharpshooter. I would hope that a person considering hunting with archery tackle can maintain a 7" group at 20 yards. Maybe a sharp shooter designation has special privileges.

Some other States also require a "Bow Safety Course" which can be completed online. I think it is a good idea and most likely a product which could easily be purchased and implemented by SRD. Completing the course would be linked to your Relm profile and allow you to purchase a bow Hunting permit. I would definitely support an idea like that.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk63 View Post
Thanks for the entertainment fellas! I'm able bodied so I can Bow Hike, not much of a Bow Hunter yet. Maybe the solution is making cross bow permits more accessible for people with injuries / disabilities. I don't think allowing everyone to use a crossbow during archery seasons in the solution. Getting into Bow Range and pulling a trigger is a hell of a lot easier then drawing back a bow and trying to get a shot. If you think otherwise your either a much better hunter then I, or you haven't done much Bow Hiking. Allowing cross bows during the general archery seasons will result in higher harvest rates, which will reduce overall opportunity in the long term.
Just assumptions there.

Where both are allowed success rates are within a couple points. Much harder to get into bow range. As far as hunting is concerned the data has long been available that the crossbow is just another bow. Maybe not defined archery but that's about it. Now you know but go ahead and research yourself, dig up old threads here will find you plenty of links.

Everyone keeps saying reduce overall opportunity? No, quite the contrary, increases overall opportunity. You're forgetting about the added opportunity for all hunters and only worried about a decrease for a select few. Your glass is just tinted a bit rose.

This was just the tipping point argument again. Around the circle we go.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Lol if you say so it must be true...ask him.

LC
I didn't have to ask Brent, he offered his position all by himself. I'll admit I was shocked to hear him say it.

But if the ABA is successful in having a separate Archery Draw code implemented, Brent's wishes of reducing the number of "Casual" bowhunters may come true, if his predictions are correct.

I notice you didn't touch the Spear ban topic.
This is wise as most of what you have stated here is wrong. I know this started before you became a member, so believe that someone fed you a line regarding the ABA's (more specifically Brent's) actions.

I don't have much of an issue with the ABA. I do have serious concerns with the president. He has lied to everyone, both within the membership and out. He has proceeded with ABA actions in contravention of the ABA rules.

The ABA will be a much better organization when they grow the balls to elect a new president.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
I wish I could find the emails between myself and Brent Watson regarding the banning of spears when the ABA first targeted spears.
I still have mine. And the documents he sent me. Some from the government. And the ABA minutes from those meetings.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-19-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Just assumptions there.

Where both are allowed success rates are within a couple points. Much harder to get into bow range. As far as hunting is concerned the data has long been available that the crossbow is just another bow. Maybe not defined archery but that's about it. Now you know but go ahead and research yourself, dig up old threads here will find you plenty of links.

Everyone keeps saying reduce overall opportunity? No, quite the contrary, increases overall opportunity. You're forgetting about the added opportunity for all hunters and only worried about a decrease for a select few. Your glass is just tinted a bit rose.

This was just the tipping point argument again. Around the circle we go.

With most moose and mule deer archery seasons going to draw, the concern for crossbows effecting general seasons no longer exists. The harvest argument becomes moot. Any Archery season on a draw should now allow crossbows.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-19-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
With most moose and mule deer archery seasons going to draw, the concern for crossbows effecting general seasons no longer exists. The harvest argument becomes moot. Any Archery season on a draw should now allow crossbows.
Forgive my ignorance, but are the # of tags available by draw not correlated to the predicted success rate? Higher success rate with cross-bow = less draw tags available.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:07 PM
Banned

Ya i don't see what the difference is and if there's only a couple points between the tools pretty easy to manipulate.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk63 View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but are the # of tags available by draw not correlated to the predicted success rate? Higher success rate with cross-bow = less draw tags available.
Now your putting that into an equation that is based on a survey and the wildlife biologists to accurately decide on amount of tags etc...another goofy reliable data gathering failure.
Area I live in got moose all over the dam place, some hammerhead with a degree I guess took away the buy your tag across the counter for archery and try your luck, all went to a draw, got Moore moose then deer starring at me when I pee off my back deck, which backs onto three quarters, hope there all cow moose eyeballing me

Guys/gals with bows, cross bows whatever gotta get off thier butts and actually trudge through swampy, crappy areas to hunt, most don't like that so the success rate is low...now the numbers are up and a certain group of race picks them off in January...all around BS and. Rey sad.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-11-2019, 08:28 PM

I'm a life member. The raffles they have to keep getting better year after year and they finally got some good hats.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
I'm a life member. The raffles they have to keep getting better year after year and they finally got some good hats.
This upcoming raffle is going to be a head turner for sure...much like the hats already are

LC