Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-17-2018, 12:54 AM

Wondering if I can qualify for Archery Season with this Arrow Sling. Full Draw weight is 45 lbs

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I just glanced through the thread and that’s how I remembered things happening. No one knew about the poll and the ABA mobilized the membership to skew the results......just like I stated.

It’s interesting how CNP changed is position to what he thought was best for hunting in Alberta and LC, who was undecided at the time, decided on what was best for him.
Was tinfoil on sale Dave? Lol. 209x50 put up a post rallying troops FOR crossbows...show me the “ABA” post to the contrary. How many ABA Members were there to cause a mass of people to vote one way or the other?...people’s votes are typically done based on their own opinions.

No one knew about the poll?...all RELM users email broke at the same time I guess.

As I stated...I missed voting on this, wasn’t an ABA member at the time, and you act like my vote was the only and deciding vote....give me a break lol.

Interesting how different people have different opinions that don’t always align with yours? I know that’s not the first time for you Dave.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 04-17-2018 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Wondering if I can qualify for Archery Season with this Arrow Sling. Full Draw weight is 45 lbs
Ohhhh That is a hold my beer and watch this.....can you say fail army

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-17-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Ohhhh That is a hold my beer and watch this.....can you say fail army
Maybe use this, it shoots an arrow so it Must be a bow right? I mean BOW is right there in the name.

https://www.crosman.com/airbow

LC
Old 04-17-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Define purist...

I shoot my bow nearly everyday all year round. Which bow I shoot varies on the season, indoor target/3d/field/hunting. I compete locally, provincially, nationally and rarely internationally...because I enjoy the sport, the culture, the community, and the people. I help out locally at an archery shop working on the odd bow and helping answer questions. I help organize a shoot or two a year. I choose to hunt with a bow all season, because I enjoy the up close and personal aspect and the end game doesn’t NEED to happen. I am quite selective when it comes to some species and others fill my freezer (partially because of my wife’s taste in wild game).

If that makes me a purist...go ahead and place that label on me, I have been called worse. I wouldn’t call myself that, I would just say I have a passion for archery.

LC
a person who adheres strictly and often excessively to a tradition Is a purist....sorry lefty your credentials have you over qualified but if I have a problem with the ol'bow I will source your skill sets out to get me back in the field....when I brought it in for an upgrade as in a peep sight, new sights and arrow rest the young fella had to play with the bow to adjust my draw length do to the fact I also went to a release....asked me a few times if I would like an upgrade as in a new boy...nope this fills the freezer and has put a few heads on the wall.

poor Op I bet he/she checks out the biggest derailed thread in history but at the same time probably has a chuckle or two.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:22 AM

Lol....while we are quoting things seems even you agree with me Dave.

Quote:
So the provincial bowhunting organizations single handedly quashed this proposal all by themselves?

Knowing what their position was it seems a waste of time for SRD to even bother polling Alberta RELM users eh?

If you can stop patting yourself on the back long enough have a look at the % for and against in the OP .
Quote:
Would someone mind explaining to me exactly how ABA could have possibly effected the outcome of the SRD poll.............I mean other than telling their membership which way to vote on it?
Dave you claim in this thread you knew little about the survey/vote...yet back then you mention polling Alberta RELM users...which is it? I think I know

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 04-17-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:30 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Lol....while we are quoting things seems even you agree with me Dave.

LC
I guess the only way to resolve this is to make some minor adjustments to the current bow season. I propose that over the course of the 2 month archery season we allow compound bows for a week, traditional bows for a week and crossbows for a week, then repeat, Then, when rifle season rolls around, the first two weeks are reserved with people that only shoot guns with " magnum" in the cartridge name and the final two weeks are wide open...oh.... and no archery equipment allowed in the rifle season. There...that should satisfy everyone...yer welcome.....
Old 04-17-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I guess the only way to resolve this is to make some minor adjustments to the current bow season. I propose that over the course of the 2 month archery season we allow compound bows for a week, traditional bows for a week and crossbows for a week, then repeat, Then, when rifle season rolls around, the first two weeks are reserved with people that only shoot guns with " magnum" in the cartridge name and the final two weeks are wide open...oh.... and no archery equipment allowed in the rifle season. There...that should satisfy everyone...yer welcome.....
Don’t forget the earliest season before them all should be set aside for 6.5 Creedmore fans....their toes get cold fast LOL.

LC
Old 04-17-2018, 06:39 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Don’t forget the earliest season before them all should be set aside for 6.5 Creedmore fans....their toes get cold fast LOL.

LC
Sorry....no can do....we can't give special treatment to one group..
Old 04-17-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Sorry....no can do....we can't give special treatment to one group..
Not even if they whine real loud every 8-10 years and want a re-vote?

LC
Old 04-17-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Now hold on there pilgrim....what about the front end stuffers...we, they, us get a piece of the pie too even if it's just the crust

Old 04-17-2018, 07:27 AM

I am glad the OP had his question answer.

As for the rest of the thread..... how hard is it to understand that the ABA is a special interest group that does not recognize or accept crossbows as archery equipment. No different than the don't accept rifles or cannons or fishing poles as archery equipment. Are you also upset that the NFA and CCFR fight for the rights of firearms owners? Like the ABA, they are a special interest group that promote and fight for the right of their Membership. When you join the ABA you do so knowing that they do not support crossbow inclusion in the archery season.

So if you want change, get organized, form a special interest group to promote crossbow use, and lobby government officials. Coming on here to whine and complain will have no effect on change and is "arguing for the sake of arguing."
Old 04-17-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post

As for the rest of the thread..... how hard is it to understand that the ABA is a special interest group that does not recognize or accept crossbows as archery equipment. No different than the don't accept rifles or cannons or fishing poles as archery equipment. Are you also upset that the NFA and CCFR fight for the rights of firearms owners? Like the ABA, they are a special interest group that promote and fight for the right of their Membership. When you join the ABA you do so knowing that they do not support crossbow inclusion in the archery season.

So if you want change, get organized, form a special interest group to promote crossbow use, and lobby government officials. Coming on here to whine and complain will have no effect on change and is "arguing for the sake of arguing."
Well said...precisely what I alluded to somewhere in these 10 pages

LC
Old 04-17-2018, 09:22 AM

Default ABA Lobbying to Keep Crossbows out of the archercy season

Quote:
Was tinfoil on sale Dave? Lol. 209x50 put up a post rallying troops FOR crossbows...show me the “ABA” post to the contrary. How many ABA Members were there to cause a mass of people to vote one way or the other?...people’s votes are typically done based on their own opinions.

No one knew about the poll?...all RELM users email broke at the same time I guess.

As I stated...I missed voting on this, wasn’t an ABA member at the time, and you act like my vote was the only and deciding vote....give me a break lol.

Interesting how different people have different opinions that don’t always align with yours? I know that’s not the first time for you Dave.

LC
You do not require a post on AO to rally the troops. An email to members is a better way...

This was/is the ABA's position and is listed as one of their achievements (from the ABA Website):

Quote:
Successful lobby to keep crossbows out of the general archery season
Old 04-17-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:

This ^^^^^ says the obvious. However, the ABA does not represent the hunters in AB nor does it represent the bowhunters of AB. It is simply an association of people who are members of that group. There isn't going to be any "AB Crossbow Association" just like there isn't an "AB Muzzleloaders Association". All of these hunting fraternity associations just pick at one another..................what is the benefit of that to the entire hunting community?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
You do not require a post on AO to rally the troops. An email to members is a better way...

This was/is the ABA's position and is listed as one of their achievements (from the ABA Website):
Point being...the ABA doesn’t have the numbers to put a vote one way or another when all Alberta RELM users had a say. So obviously more people than just the ABA member felt that way...and I can tell you not every ABA is against crossbows being included. Much like not all SCI members support canned hunts. Not all Conservatives oppose abortion or all Liberals oppose pipelines.

Free thought and freedom of opinion are great things!

LC
Old 04-17-2018, 09:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
A very interesting thread indeed.

Congratulations on the OP for joining the ABA, you'll meet some Intresting folks for sure.

I don't shoot or own a x-bow yet.

I've been working up my limited skills on Trad archery so I can continue my archery thing.
If someone wants to use their compound unit, then more power to the person,,, same for the long bow.

Even if the hunting laws changed in favour of x-bow in archery season, then more power to the system.

I could care less if someone chooses what ever to harvest with, just my take on the way I feel I guess.

I did 14+ years of compound bows all season long, even threw rifle season,,, sometimes the harvest worked, many times it didn't.

Harvesting to me is just being out there, with or without success.

If a vote was open today on allowing a x-bow into the mix, I'd say sure.

Times are changing, I don't see an advantage or disadvantage since Harvesting game still takes time.

One would think that with aging archers that x-bow would keep the activities going, I know that I will fit that category in a few years.

My old time friend is doing the x-bow this year with his permit. He really enjoys getting out there,,, that's what really counts.

Don

This is what it's about right here. Bowhunting! More bowhunting for more people for longer time periods. Because it is better than rifle hunting. This is about doing what's right.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
This ^^^^^ says the obvious. However, the ABA does not represent the hunters in AB nor does it represent the bowhunters of AB. It is simply an association of people who are members of that group. There isn't going to be any "AB Crossbow Association" just like there isn't an "AB Muzzleloaders Association". All of these hunting fraternity associations just pick at one another..................what is the benefit of that to the entire hunting community?
I don’t support all the AFGA initiatives...I am a member due to affiliation not necessarily choice. They don’t represent all hunters either

LC
Old 04-17-2018, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
You don’t think a few Dads/Moms would like to take their younger Sons and Daughters out with them a bit early some time?

Yup it makes sense I would like to see more youth getting onto the sport.

LC
Got kids?

Mine are 9 and 11 now. We have bows and guns and will be working towards proficiency on both ends to be ready for 12 so Dad can transition to guide. Would the crossbow option be something i would consider for the first couple years? You bet your azz.

Do you realize what you're saying?
Old 04-17-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Wrong

albertablackpowderassociation.com
Old 04-17-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Wrong

albertablackpowderassociation.com
All flintlocks are muzzleloaders, but not all muzzleloaders are flintlocks.

All crossbows are bows, but not all bows are crossbows
Old 04-17-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
All flintlocks are muzzleloaders, but not all muzzleloaders are flintlocks.

All crossbows are bows, but not all bows are crossbows
Correct....

Some bows (compound, long bow, recurve) meet the Alberta legal definition of archery tackle.....

Crossbows do not...

If you want that changed or believe it should be, do something about it.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Correct....

Some bows (compound, long bow, recurve) meet the Alberta legal definition of archery tackle.....

Crossbows do not...

If you want that changed or believe it should be, do something about it.
I have and I am
Old 04-17-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post

This is what it's about right here. Bowhunting! More bowhunting for more people for longer time periods. Because it is better than rifle hunting. This is about doing what's right.
I also agree 100%! But if I had it my way, I would have more archery only zones in Alberta. THEN include crossbows.

Im not against rifle hunters or rifle hunting but they do get their advantages too. Like being able to shoot an animal at 200+ yards. They get early seasons in certain WMU's... Im not saying that we coulnt adjust the rules for rifles as well, for some early season hunting in different or whatever they would like.

At the end of the day its about numbers and harvest rates/percentages.

My MO isnt to EXCLUDE, but is to INCLUDE.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:30 AM

I see that the ABA is still lying about their actions relating to the banning of spears and atlatls.... All must be well with the world.

Does the Pres. still believe that there are too many bowhunters in Alberta?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-17-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I see that the ABA is still lying about their actions relating to the banning of spears and atlatls.... All must be well with the world.

Does the Pres. still believe that there are too many bowhunters in Alberta?
Lol if you say so it must be true...ask him.

LC
Old 04-17-2018, 02:18 PM

I wish I could find the emails between myself and Brent Watson regarding the banning of spears when the ABA first targeted spears.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:27 AM

Lefty-Canuck earlier posted:
"Yup it makes sense I would like to see more youth getting onto the sport. LC"

Do you mean "the sport" of archery, like targets and tournaments or do you mean the 'sport' of hunting? I myself don't consider hunting a sport.

I've read through the whole thread and am sort of saddened. This bickering on who gets to hunt when and where, and with what is very concerning.

We are all hunters no matter the choice of weapons. We should not be fragmenting our hunting culture and the future of our hunting heritage.

Maybe there shouldn't be bow zones or rifle zones. Maybe we need to have just one hunting season for everyone in one big WMU called all of Alberta. A hunting season from September to December with the hunter's choice of weapons. And have a limit of one game animal per licenced hunter per year. And hunters must register whatever they kill and on what land location, for management purposes.

The only other solution is to close hunting down to the public. Have government meat hunters controlling our game animals and we can just go to the government meat store to buy our various game meats.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-18-2018, 03:42 AM

Semantics....the “activity” of hunting...the “tradition” of hunting.

LC
Old 04-18-2018, 06:59 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:

Come on sometimes through conversations like this one on this immensely derailed thread some different perspectives are shared and you get to see things that if not discussed would never have surfaced leaving you just as ignorant as yesterday going into tomorrow.
I found out a few things on this thread that enlightened me to the ABA etc and encouraged me to research off this thread a few posts.