Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-04-2019, 07:38 PM

Default Newbie looking for a bow

Im trying to extend the hunting season and would like to get in to bow hunting but cant break the bank as im layed off right now. Dose anyone have any suggestions. what to look for and so on or have something sitting around they would let go for a good price.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2019, 07:43 PM

You should first go to a bow shop and get sized for a bow. then you have a starting point. see if they will let you shoot a few different bows and get some tips from the pros. There is usually many great used bows for sale on this site as well as others. Also some bow shops have used bows for sale (consignment).
Once you know your draw length and if you are left of right hand, then the rest of us will have an idea if we have something that you might be interested in.
I am confident once you start shooting with a bow, you will be hooked.

Best of luck to you.

CDN
Old 12-04-2019, 07:52 PM

Agree with cdnoutdoorsmen, get sized up and an idea of what your after, most good archery shops will be happy to help. I went to accurate archery in pretty much the same boat he showed me how to shoot let me try a dozen different bows and actually had a new but 3yr old model I managed to get for about 40% off, knowing I was maxed for budget he also sold me one of his old tests and sights for $50 I think it was. Hope you get setup it's an awesome sport👍
Old 12-04-2019, 07:57 PM

Agree with cdnoutdoorsmen, get sized up and an idea of what your after, most good archery shops will be happy to help. I went to accurate archery in pretty much the same boat he showed me how to shoot let me try a dozen different bows and actually had a new but 3yr old model I managed to get for about 40% off, knowing I was maxed for budget he also sold me one of his old tests and sights for $50 I think it was. Hope you get setup it's an awesome sport👍
Old 12-04-2019, 08:39 PM

So i had a friend measure me im 69" middle finger to the other tip. If he is right im about 27.5" draw length amd right handed.I was looking at a used pse brute force lite used for about 400$ came with everything i need to start. But again have no clue if it worth that or if its a good deal.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsoucy View Post
So i had a friend measure me im 69" middle finger to the other tip. If he is right im about 27.5" draw length amd right handed.I was looking at a used pse brute force lite used for about 400$ came with everything i need to start. But again have no clue if it worth that or if its a good deal.

$400 for a complete package if it includes release and arrows is fairly good. PSE Brute is a great entry level bow. Did the original owner upgrade anything from the Brute package such as a drop away rest or sight? That is probably the biggest complaint on package bows is that the components are not great.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:44 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=372851

I have a complete package for sale in the buy and sell. Comes with everything and more.

2016 RH Hoyt Powermax bow 60#
5 pin sight
QAD rest
new Americas best strings
9 inch trophy ridge stabilizer
13 Easton FMJ arrows
G5 6 arrow quiver
9 Grim reaper broadheads
field points
portable bow press
bow case
arrow case
rangefinder
Scott samurai release

Asking a bit more than $400 but a great deal at $1000 for everything you need to start and hunt.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:53 PM

One more tip is find out what draw weight you can pull comfortably before you buy. Most bows are adjustable +-10lb (5-60lb even). Too much draw weight is a great way to develop bad shooting habits. Get one you can crank up once your muscles and form develop.

If you can pull it sitting down or on your knees you should be good. You don't want to be shaking after 10 shots when your learning. All the bs about arrow speed vs KE can be figured out later, shot placement is more important imo
Old 12-08-2019, 06:07 PM

I should add i started with a Bear Cruiser used for $400 with arrows, release, case, target, cheap RTH package 4 years ago it was adjustable from 5-60lb. I cant complain about it cause i shot a nice buck with it and it shot well. After a few more bows i wish i spent more on a high quality bow to begin with.

I'm sure we all know the feeling of buying a scope/rifle package just to upgrade almost everything on it within the year and still want more