Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-06-2019, 12:54 PM

Default Buying Bows From USA

Hi

I’ve been looking at buying a bow off eBay in USA. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience buying a used bow in USA? I’m not sure how much the duty charges would be and/or if gst would be charged?

Thanks
Old 10-06-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTL View Post
Hi

I’ve been looking at buying a bow off eBay in USA. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience buying a used bow in USA? I’m not sure how much the duty charges would be and/or if gst would be charged?

Thanks
I would suggest checking out Archery Talk and use PayPal for payment. Make sure they ship using USPS to avoid broker fees and have it marked as used sporting goods equipment then there is no duty. I have bought several from the US without any problem
Old 10-07-2019, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 10-07-2019, 11:41 AM

USPS for shipping, do not use any other method of shipment. No brokerage fees when shipped by mail. No duty as the bow in question is most certainly made in the USA (free trade). Subject to GST at Customs discretion.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:00 PM

Thanks so much for the info it’s much appreciated!
Old 10-12-2019, 07:37 PM

In your experience do they usually charge GST at boarder or usually not get charged GST?
Old 10-12-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
In your experience do they usually charge GST at boarder or usually not get charged GST?
If it is listed as "used" sporting goods equipment then there is no GST.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:33 AM

Awesome! Thanks for the info. GST can add up quick on bow purchase good to know it’s exempt.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:50 AM

Just an FYI, there is no GST exemption for used sporting goods being imported to Canada. People may get lucky with GST being charged or not but there is no exemption
Old 10-13-2019, 01:24 PM

Thanks so may or may not be Gst.

Some of the sellers refuse to use USPS, does anyone have experience buying Bow where the shipped UPS or FedEx and how much the brokerage fees are they charge?
Old 10-13-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks so may or may not be Gst.

Some of the sellers refuse to use USPS, does anyone have experience buying Bow where the shipped UPS or FedEx and how much the brokerage fees are they charge?
Although I couldn't give you exact totals, if it wasn't shipped USPS I personally wouldn't purchase it if it was shipped to Canada. If UPS/Fedex are your only route, you'd be better of shipping to Montana and picking it up yourself in most cases.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:37 PM

Is there a way to ship to Montana if don’t have a mailbox/address there?

I had a deal with a guy on Archery talk who demanded to use PayPal then reneged on deal saying PayPal holds his funds for 14 days. PayPal actually only holds funds for 24hours after delivery, so if shipped priority would be 3-4 days delivery or 4-5 days payment hold.

It was a good deal - too bad can’t do etransfers to USA...
Old 10-13-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Is there a way to ship to Montana if don’t have a mailbox/address there?

I had a deal with a guy on Archery talk who demanded to use PayPal then reneged on deal saying PayPal holds his funds for 14 days. PayPal actually only holds funds for 24hours after delivery, so if shipped priority would be 3-4 days delivery or 4-5 days payment hold.

It was a good deal - too bad can’t do etransfers to USA...
I've never had a hold on funds when using Paypal, but not sure why some may have it or not.

Google Montana Shipping Outlet or At the Border Storage. Likely best options for shipping to USA without your own address.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:33 PM

How much do you save on a used bow vs new? Make a trip down here and pick up what you want. Shoot it a few times and call it used....
Old 10-17-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
How much do you save on a used bow vs new? Make a trip down here and pick up what you want. Shoot it a few times and call it used....
A bow lightly used under a year old to a year will lose roughly 30-40% of new value. Bows don’t hold value like rifles. The good news is a 2 year old bow sells for roughly the same as a 4-5 year old bow, provided it was a flagship during production.

LC
Old 10-25-2019, 05:08 PM

Does it matter for using USPS vs UPS/FedEx if ordering new clothing from the US such as from Sitka (most of their stuff is subject to duty)?
Old 10-25-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Does it matter for using USPS vs UPS/FedEx if ordering new clothing from the US such as from Sitka (most of their stuff is subject to duty)?
Yes, UPS charges crazy brokerage fees. You will always be on the hook for GST and duty however.

I ordered $1100 of Sitka, came to $1400 CAD (at the time) the fees I had to pay at UPS for release were close to $500!

$1100 USD became $1900 CAD. Last order I ever placed and last time UPS was a carrier.

LC
Old 10-25-2019, 08:14 PM

Thanks - good to know! Sitka said can ship with USPS if order over phone.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:06 AM
Banned

where do you live?......we're a ten minute drive to montana and have our own mailbox. back and forth all the time to pick stuff up. no brokerage fees, and very often, they just wave you through if you don't have toooo much stuff. even if you get waved in, i've never been charged anything more than gst, and you'd pay that in canada anyway.

'at the border storage' will accept shipments for you and usually the charge is 5 dollars per pkg..
Old 10-27-2019, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the tips - I’m in Calgary but if I have a big order likely worth using that service I paid a few hundred for my last Sitka order.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:16 PM

I just had a Sitka order sent to the Montana shipping outlet. Thanks for sharing that idea. The savings make it worth driving down there!
Old 11-01-2019, 07:18 PM

Sometimes they charge GST and duty, sometimes not. I've been charged duty and GST on a used bow that I've TRADED straight across for. No money exchange at all. I even bought the bow here in Canada and paid GST on it originally. I tried to get the refund, sending a copy of the original receipt, my receipt proving I sent a bow in exchange for the one I got. They wouldn't hear none of it. Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:24 AM

Default Gst

I recently had to pay GST on used 1969 Chevelle parts.
Border guys said, “everything has to get it once”! I said, “GST hadnt even been dreamed up in 1969!”
I had to pay...
Old 11-26-2019, 08:28 PM

I think they are tightening up. After buying several bows from the states I finally got charged GST on the last one. I guess the party is over.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:32 AM

I just got hit with a $60 bill for duty and taxes on some USED limbs I bought for a bow. I only paid $100cdn for them shipped to my door.

Sent from my 9024O using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2019, 11:21 AM

Make sure whatever you buy is shipped via USPS. It will be delivered by Canada Post and the “hit” will be minimal or nonexistent. I bought a bow back in August (maybe September?) and paid only $27 in GST and $10 handling fee. I don’t remember them charging me anything on items worth less than $200 or so. The next one is DHL. They would only charge you $10 in handling fees as well, but they will do it on any item priced at $20 or more, so be prepared to pay $0.50 in taxes and $10 in fees. USPS is the way to go. UPS and Fedex are nuts, I refuse to deal with anyone offering their services as the only options.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:09 PM

It may have to do with whatever the crossborder exemption limit is as to whether they charge GST, although technically there isn't one on mail order. Seems to be a lot of small shipments they don't bother looking at. I've had stuff just put into my mailbox no charge, if you get a del notice, you will be paying gst and the brokerage fee from Canada post when you pick it up.Had stuff that was marked Made in China come thru, 8 boxes, only got dinged duty on one box out of 8, for the value of the one box, 15.00 or so on 2400.00 US. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.