Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-22-2019, 02:03 PM

I shoot grim reapers, I prefer the 1 3/8 cutting head, seem to pass through deer no problem, moose on the other hand not so much. Poking hide on the other side, the moose bled internally but without a pass through I can see why. Went far enough in that he broke the arrow rather than had it fall out. Grims shoot great for me, I don't sling arrows at animals further than 40yards, never had issues with the grims!

Good luck to everyone out there
Old 07-22-2019, 09:02 PM

Born and Raised Outdoors are doing a huge broadhead test this week on like 40 different broadbeads. I shot grim reapers last year and had a real bad experience with them and switched mid hunt to muzzy trocars and they worked like a hot damn.
Personally I’m going to wait until after they post that test video to make up my mind but I really want to try Tooth of the Arrow this year and I’m anxious to see how the new collarless Rage mechanicals perform.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archery_nut View Post
What’s everyone’s favourite fixed blade broadhead. If you can sell me on mechanical then I’ll try switching but I hate buying o-rings every time and I like to take out every variable that could go wrong such as them not opening, that’s why I stick with fixed blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude, that’s exactly my perspective on mechanicals. Archery hunting has always been a demonstration of Murphy’s law: anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

After almost 20 years of shooting, I’ve arrived at Montec and Montec strykers. They group like a field point and pile up animals just as well as anything. The only shortcoming I’ve had with them was due to operator error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2019, 03:24 PM

100 gr muzzys are my go to,
Old 10-30-2019, 05:35 PM

Where people error is if they shoot mechanical broadheads they sometimes don't tune the bow for good arrow flight. If your arrow is kicking left/right with a field point and then you screw on a mech, the mech and field point will group together but they are both still kicking left/right. I can shoot fixed or mechs out of my bow with no problem. The reason I can do this is that I paper tune my bows with a bare shaft at 10". I am finished tuning when I get a perfect hole the size of the shaft. There is no fletching to correct any errors and this ensures the arrow is coming off the bow perfectly straight. For mechs I shoot the Grim Reapers 1 3/8 and have had complete pass thrus on the 2 moose I have shot; 1 of which was at 53 yards.

Tune your bow and shoot what you like but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the mechs they make today and their reliability.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:00 PM

Rarely if ever is the broad head to blame. There are pros and cons to both. If you always hunt stands and never shoot past 30yrds, fixed all day. If you may need to take a longer shot in the wide open and wind...consider mechanical.

LC
Old 11-01-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Rarely if ever is the broad head to blame. There are pros and cons to both. If you always hunt stands and never shoot past 30yrds, fixed all day. If you may need to take a longer shot in the wide open and wind...consider mechanical.

LC
Gotta disagree. I all ready HATE mech heads and lack of penetration is why.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnbears View Post
Gotta disagree. I all ready HATE mech heads and lack of penetration is why.
I beg to differ I have passed through many elk with mechanicals...one at 40 yards diagonally. Poor arrow flight and bow tuning is as much to blame for poor penetration as broad head choice.

LC
Old 11-02-2019, 07:54 PM

Well alrighty then.
I've seen HORRIBLE results. I won't allow then in my camp.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Well alrighty then.
Better off not allowing untuned bows in your camp. If people took the time to paper and bareshaft tune their setup, less would have the misconception the broadhead was to blame.

LC
Old 11-04-2019, 02:24 PM
Banned

Following.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:38 PM

I’ve always shot g5 montecs and had great arrow flight and tunes easy when switching from field points to broad heads. However all the rumours online I read were true that they don’t leave much of a blood trail.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Well alrighty then.
You own your own camp??? Wow that must be a fun place.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:18 AM

It's been years since I hunted with fixed. Back in '97, my brother put me onto Rocket Steelheads (small, tight mechanicals that shoot exactly like my FP) and I still carry them. They are now almost impossible to find, but when I do find them I buy the store out of them. I've got enough repair blades that it should be able to last my lifetime.

My other choice is Grim Reaper Razorcuts that I've had good luck with as well. They shoot and group right along with my FP. A little bit bigger upon opening than the Steelheads, but same effectiveness - animals down.

When I first started hunting, my knowledge was more limited than now and I didn't have the patience or skill to tune to fixed blades. Over the years, the skills have grown but not the patience. My mechs have never let me down - NEVER! They fly where they're pointed and do the job as long as I do mine. Like Lefty states, lots of times the equipment is blamed instead of searching deeper for the real problem. Equipment can only do what it's meant to do at any given point in time. It's up to us to prepare it as best as possible to eliminate Murphy.

I can't see me ever going back to a fixed while there are so many great choices with mechs on the market. They are solidly built nowadays if you do your research and prepare them - just the same as many fixed blade options. You need to prepare both to the same degree.

J.