Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-10-2008, 11:26 AM

Default help sighting a scope

When I bought my 30-06 and scope, it was bore sighted in for me. Now I need to go out and take a few shots and get the thing fine tuned. I have contacted the sheppard range and the homestead range for information on getting this done. I have not heard back from the Homestead range yet (sent email a few days ago) and I just sent an email out to the sheppard range for some info.
I thought I should try this place as everyone here is full of info and help.

Is there somewhere I can go and get this done? For as cheap as possible? OH the other kicker is I do NOT have a gun vise. Saturday seems to be the day for me to do this.
Any info/help would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-10-2008, 11:47 AM

Unless you want to join a club, your best bet is probably the free range out at Homestead:

http://www.albertarifle.com/homestead.htm

A couple of things to note... it is usually a gong show out there at this time of year, and some of the users don't seem to know what "firearms safety" means. It's not always bad, but I've seen some real head shaking incidents out there. If you can, go out during the day on a weekday, you might have the place to yourself. Saturday before hunting season though.... it's not fun out there.

Also, don't use a vice, use sand bags to rest your rifle. If you don't have sand bags, improvise.... maybe a bag of rice or something like that.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:53 AM

through the week is a tough one to pull off. I figured it would be busy out there on the weekend, but with the timing of everything right now I may have to fight the crowds.
Am I able to just walk on to the range at homestead or is there paperwork and people I need to deal with?
Old 09-10-2008, 11:55 AM

Shoot it at 25 or 50yds first, don't go straight to 100, or you may find yourself wasting alot of ammo. A nice big target doesn't hurt to get on the paper or even roll out some paper towel behind your target to start. I like to Zero for 200yds or so, but everyone has different ideas.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBrain View Post
through the week is a tough one to pull off. I figured it would be busy out there on the weekend, but with the timing of everything right now I may have to fight the crowds.
Am I able to just walk on to the range at homestead or is there paperwork and people I need to deal with?

You're able to just walk on to the free public range... it's the one at the end of the road. Hopefully someone will establish themself as the range officer. If your day is limited to Saturday, try going out first thing in the morning before it gets too busy. Usually there are more shooters than benches when it's really busy.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:03 PM

Benches? So I would not need to bring a table then.
I am real new to this range stuff, all my sighting in was done at a friends farm WAY up north
Old 09-10-2008, 12:12 PM

I agree with Scott. If you're going on the weekend, I'd suggest you be there at sunup. That way by the time you're done it'll just be getting busy.

There are permanent benches there to use, they work good. You'll find that alot of the guys out there are quite helpful and will certainly help you out.

I was there last Sunday morning and when I was leaving the range at 8:30am it was already full.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBrain View Post
Benches? So I would not need to bring a table then.
I am real new to this range stuff, all my sighting in was done at a friends farm WAY up north

I haven't been out there for a few years, but if I remember correctly, there are 5 or 6 permanent benches out there. Bringing your own table probably isn't a bad idea. But like slopeshunter has already mentioned, I'd go out there for sun up. If you have something that you can use to attach your target to, I would bring that along as well. Sometimes the boards that are used to tack your targets too aren't in the greatest of shape.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:31 PM

Have to wait for my boss to get back and see if he will let me take Friday off on such short notice (he HATES hunting/guns)
Anyone interested in meeting up there on friday IF I can pull it off?
Old 09-10-2008, 01:28 PM

OK so friday is a go for me, anyone interested?
Cant blame you if you dont want to go with a newbie. lol
Old 09-13-2008, 11:06 AM

Done, & done.
I would like to thank the few gentlemen out there who were happy to work with me and help me to get it setup. Got some great documentation from a fellow and I thank you for that as well. Shoulder is a little soar but that serves me right for putting so many rounds through it.
Patrick: if you are on here, I will take you up on your drink next time I see you, another lefty cant be that bad lol

Mathew