Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2024, 07:51 PM

Default Gold Claims

Gold claim in southern BC, how do you get a claim? How long does your claim last. I was thinking of getting one to have something to do when retired in 10 years. With the price of gold are the claims now over valued?
Old 02-02-2024, 08:29 PM

We have been dabbling with claims in the Barkerville area for 7-8 years now.

After working a bit on the 4 - 5 that we have, we are only going to keep one.
Not that the others didn’t produce, just that we will be focussing on one we feel to be the most promising.

Best to do a search as it will take quite a while, explain all the in and outs of snapping up a claim. The expiry dates used to come annually on defaults but I think they changed that all around and come available in groups.
It might be monthly now?

Available claims (not currently claimed) need to be in a placer area, the cost were around $100 for approximately 400 yard x 400 cell, as they are called.

Some good info here,

https://www.bcplacer.com/claims_leases.htm

TBark
Old 02-02-2024, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
We have been dabbling with claims in the Barkerville area for 7-8 years now.

After working a bit on the 4 - 5 that we have, we are only going to keep one.
Not that the others didn’t produce, just that we will be focussing on one we feel to be the most promising.

Best to do a search as it will take quite a while, explain all the in and outs of snapping up a claim. The expiry dates used to come annually on defaults but I think they changed that all around and come available in groups.
It might be monthly now?

Available claims (not currently claimed) need to be in a placer area, the cost were around $100 for approximately 400 yard x 400 cell, as they are called.

Some good info here,

https://www.bcplacer.com/claims_leases.htm

TBark
Can a person use a floating portable creek dredge or any instream mining or just dry land mining?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-02-2024, 10:01 PM

Nothing mechanical in a stream, just shovel and pan.

And many claims listed for sale are $1500 - $2500 average, even though they cost 1/10 of that to claim originally.
So be aware.

TBark
Old 02-03-2024, 07:51 AM

Of the 4-5 claims you have , can you sell them privately or do they have to go back to the government?
Old 02-04-2024, 02:55 PM

They all have expiry dates due to our past work claim reports.

We can sell the claims prior to the expiration dates, but new owner obtains the same due date.
So in some cases, work reports reflecting time spent prospecting the claim would have to be done soon.

TBark
Old 02-04-2024, 04:02 PM

Off in Bushes,
Not wanting your thread to be a Gold Claim 101 Q&A.

There is an option that claim owners allow prospective buyers to visit and put some work on the claim before buying. No obligation.

If you want to PM me maybe I can provide more info and even some info on the claim(s) that we’d consider selling.

TBark
Old 02-04-2024, 06:44 PM

We should get a joint claim and people can go and camp and pan. Percentage covers lease costs.

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-04-2024, 09:23 PM

Buying a claim just to camp on is a scam BC has already figured out and no longer allow it. I don’t know where they actually draw the line though as far as camping there to work the claim goes.
Old 02-04-2024, 11:38 PM

Yes, extensive camping on site is ok but needs to be related to the work.
And the work report requirements require much more than previous years to give credit and extend the claim expiry date.
Now more pics of dig sites, pan or slice workings and results with maps / GPS are required.

And I’m speaking in terms of Hand Mining, shovel work, panning or highbanker with 1.5” max water pump.

Mechanical equipment digging is a different thing all together, complex application process and bond posted.

TBark
Old 02-05-2024, 08:03 AM

There is alot more to it than the average Joe thinks...take your time to do the research and understand what you are getting into!!! All the information is on the placer gold claims b.c gov website. You have to work these claims and spend some money.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
Buying a claim just to camp on is a scam BC has already figured out and no longer allow it. I don’t know where they actually draw the line though as far as camping there to work the claim goes.
We own half of a Crown Mineral Grant in BC, it has passed down through several generations in my family. I think it is 40 hect, and apparently much different than the staked claims they have today. We have surface rights and were told we could sell the timber and live there if we wanted to. I pay the taxes on it every second year.

Kicker is, we have no idea what's on it. All I know is my grandfather told my mom not to sell it?????
Old 02-05-2024, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
We should get a joint claim and people can go and camp and pan. Percentage covers lease costs.

I’m in!