Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-04-2016, 10:00 AM

Default Sometimes it isn't about the kill

Title maybe is a little hard but just want to share a great experience this last weekend. Me and my hunting partner hit the ground early morning this last Sunday. Bow hunting for some whiteys. Had an awesome moment where my partner spotted a doe with a decent buck in toe about 150 yards off. Sure enough they come right towards our position. the doe would stop every 10 feet for 5 minutes. She knew we were there I am sure. The buck was just.. well being a buck and following the doe... We were actually walking to our stand when we saw them so our cover was negligible. A couple small trees at best. Standing there in full camo, bows ready, the sun comes up and its right in our faces and lit us up like a Christmas tree. It felt like forever for that doe to get in range. Was awesome to just practice patience and standing still.. She hops the fence into our permission land but the buck was 20 feet behind her and had more meat so we waited.

As the buck jumped the fence I drew but instead of stopping he actually trotted right up to the doe and behind a tree and branches from my line of site. This would have been my first bow kill and I was shaking a bit but I didn't feel good about the shot. He wasn't fully stopped, there was a potential for deflection of the arrow and let's face it a shaky hand on the bow isn't good. He bolted about 3 seconds later. But what an awesome experience! No regrets on my part. I knew it wasn't a high percentage shot and whether it was my inexperience or whatever I held off and I would hold off again.

So it was frustrating but we continued on to our spot. Set up and 30 minutes in a massive old swamp donkey came rolling up on us. Maybe not the biggest moose in the world but bigger than me And he was definitely a large healthy animal. He saw us for sure but just didn't care. slowly meandered up the hill into trees.

A few minutes later we see a big ol cow moose 150 yards away. She trots along for a few minutes and goes up the hillside. Then 10 minutes later huge crashing through the trees and we see a bull moose barreling down the hill. this isn't our big bull though its a younger bull probably trying to mess with the old dudes partner That obviously didn't go well as the big moosie was in hot pursuit.

The little bull ends up hiding in some trees 70 yards from us. No tags for moose (which he obviously knew or he wouldn't have been that close) so he sauntered around a bit near us. He knew we were there was watching us and then he just beds down for a rest. He sat there for a couple hours until we left and scared him off.

What a great day hunting. Great chance at some nice white tail meat, even more awesome to watch all the moose shenanigans.. Ya, sometimes it's not about the kill at all. Great day hunting. I wish everyone here experiences like that, except maybe bag the white tail

Stay safe out there boys and girls. Don't forget to be bear aware, they are thick out there this year.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:20 AM

What a great read.

Kudos for holding off on the shot. There will be other deer!
Old 10-04-2016, 10:27 AM

Good read! Sounds like an above average day of bow hunting to me! Have to love any close range experiences with big game; shot or not.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:39 AM

Great Story! That's exactly why it's called hunting. Should always be about the hunt, harvesting game is just a bonus!

BW
Old 10-04-2016, 11:08 AM

Awesome post, thanks for sharing !
Old 10-04-2016, 08:38 PM

Sounds awesome!
Old 10-04-2016, 08:41 PM

Good Hold, Next time will be better for sure!
Old 10-04-2016, 10:42 PM
Banned

Cool ...sound's like a great story from a person that enjoy's the hunting part !!!
Old 10-05-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
Cool ...sound's like a great story from a person that enjoy's the hunting part !!!
X2

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-05-2016, 07:43 AM

Thanks guys. It really is great to get out in the woods and experience this stuff. I used to be up in the mountains of BC as a kid all the time and I sure miss it.

As a follow up to the story the younger bull was spotted last night in the same area but he has developed a significant limp. I suspect the big daddy finally caught up with him and he had some 'splaining to do.

I really do want to try and harvest my first bow kill prior to rifle season. That being said I'll wait for the right shot.

Love days like that though. Reminds me why we get out there.

Tags
moose archery bow