Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-26-2015, 07:48 PM

Default Moose too much for first archery hunt?

Back in early June I decided I wanted to expand my hunting opportunities by getting into archery, so went out and bought a bow package. Ive started practicing in the hopes that I could get good enough to try and take a doe or small buck to ease myself into the sport. When draw results came out i was ecstatic to see my bull moose draw had finally come after 7 years, and instantly the thought of getting to hunt for it in archery season popped into my head.

I'm wondering what some of you experienced archery hunters think about me pursuing this moose as my first archery hunt. I've been trying to practice a couple times a week. At 40 yards (which I've decided is my max distance), my best groups are around the size of an apple, with my average being more like a grapefruit to a volleyball in size. I do have arrows that track far off occasionally still, but 99 percent of the time I at least hit my target which is probably about 16x16 inches. I'm quite comfortably pulling 60lbs draw, working on practicing shots from my knees and uncomfortable positions, and at the end of my sessions i tend to launch one last arrow which is my "bull moose" must make shot. Ive hunted a lot of rifle already so Id like to say I wont get hit by buck fever as hard as someone brand new to hunting, but that just may all go out the window with a bull moose so close i can hear it breathe.

I certainly want to improve more before season and feel I will, but Id love to hear some opinions on whether I'm trying to run before i learn how to walk. I focus on clean, ethical kills when hunting, and it would probably ruin me for archery hunting if I wounded an animal and had to engage in some wild goose chase tracking session.

With all this said, I feel pretty confident in my ability that id be able to make an ethical shot, especially with continued practice through the next month.

Would appreciate opinions, and maybe even some archery tips and tricks to help a new shooter.

Cheers and happy shooting,

Andrew
Old 07-26-2015, 08:07 PM

More of a concern than equipment choice (bow vs gun) is: have you killed a moose before, or had to handle one on the ground?

The equipment you have mentioned will do the job.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:08 PM

Go for it
It sounds like you are taking every step to be ready. My first bow kill was a bull elk and it is no different than a doe. Make sure you have a good shot and let em have it. Just be aware once you get that first archery kill on a big animal you may become an archery snob
Good luck
Old 07-26-2015, 08:10 PM

Practice lots this summer and go for it.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
More of a concern than equipment choice (bow vs gun) is: have you killed a moose before, or had to handle one on the ground?

The equipment you have mentioned will do the job.
Never shot a moose personally but witnessed one taken with the rifle and helped to field dress it.

I have full faith in my equipment, my questioning is on my own personal ability, I feel fairly confident but I also realize im quite new to it. Ive heard you should be making 4 inch groups at 40yds, and im not quite there yet... leaves me with a little shadow of doubt.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Never shot a moose personally but witnessed one taken with the rifle and helped to field dress it.

I have full faith in my equipment, my questioning is on my own personal ability, I feel fairly confident but I also realize im quite new to it. Ive heard you should be making 4 inch groups at 40yds, and im not quite there yet... leaves me with a little shadow of doubt.
If your not comfortable with 40 yard shots, restrict yourself to a lesser distance. On that note, there's still a fair chunk of summer left for tuning and practicing. You'll get there.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:23 PM

Why not make your max range 30 until you're comfortable at 40?

Edit
Talking moose beat me to it!
Old 07-26-2015, 08:45 PM

Moose is a great first archery animal.
My first bow kill was with a old round wheel Pearson compound bow with aluminum arrows pulling over 100lb with very little let-off.
Called him and heard him coming about 50 yards away, but was still about 500 yards from a road so I kept backing up while calling until I got him within 50 yards of the road.
Shot him quartering towards me at 20 yards. He exploded forward upon impact and ran straight at me. I fell flat on my back in shock and could have slapped his legs as he ran past. He piled up in some willows some 30 yards away and I lie there about 20 minutes trembling and giggling and trying to make sense of what just had happened.

Tip #1-Never shoot a moose with a bow when you are yards away directly on his flight path
Tip #2 Call immediately upon arrow impact-this may lock him for an instant
Tip #3- Moose make a great first archery animal because they do not jump the string in the same fashion as a deer and their kill zone is quite large.
Have fun and post pics if you survive
Old 07-26-2015, 09:21 PM

I Arrowed my first moose at 15 with a pse brute at 50 yards I'm sure you will be fine go for it
Old 07-26-2015, 09:21 PM

Might want this moved to the archery section...

Your first shot is your "must make" shot. At last light, walk out to your current max distance, and visualize the moose...and put it where it needs to go. 4 inch groups are acceptable, so long as that is with broadheads.

You also want to get your bow spec tuned and paper tuned prior to testing out broadheads... Plenty of those threads in archery section to explain it.

A moose is a good first archery animal, that being said it is also the one that is most likely to kill you if you make a bad shot. Please make sure you give it plenty of time to expire before you walk up on it, and don't hesitate to take follow up shots if you get the chance. They also run for water when spooked, that can make for a long day. The rest of the advice above is good.

Welcome to the addiction.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:45 PM

In regards to shooting 40 yards max I think you should slowly work towards practice at 50 and 60. I think after a few days hitting the target at 60 yards you should find your 40 yard shots will tighten right up. If you smash the target at 60 that moose at 30 or 40 will be much easier! I know it helped me!
Old 07-26-2015, 09:59 PM

As long as you have a way to get the meat out, some help if possible your good to go. It is a great animal for the bow.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:51 PM

I will certainly have my dad there to help me with getting it out or for any other problems that arise... crazy story omega. Its another investment but I think i will buy a 3d archery target for the peace of mind... knowing i could tuck an arrow behind the shoulder of a deer will make me quite confident i could do it on a moose...

For another related question, Ive heard from some people that at 40 yards with a 100gr broadhead if I were to hit shoulder it would likely plow right through and break it but i find that hard to believe... opinions on that?

By the way, if this is a better fit in the archery section a moderator can move it no problem.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:07 AM

Re: shoulder hit....sometimes you get lucky...probably not at 40 yards.....on a moose chances are you only get one lung, and you lose. A bull can function just fine on one lung, and unfortunately you don't really know that's happened till he stands up spitting blood and charges.

Sort of why you want to have tight groups, and shoot at a point lower and behind the shoulder, about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom, 3-4 inches back. Just ribcage/lung there, no big leg muscles or bones. Google moose shot placement, study the anatomy.

The 3d target is a very wise choice.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:21 AM

Best advice I got when I started is to do some one arrow practice sessions. Your not gonna get four or five shots at your bull. Just practice making the first one count. Aim small and have a great time!!! You'll be fine!! Best of luck on your adventure!!
Old 07-28-2015, 08:43 AM

I agree with omega....moose is a great first archery animal. Easy to call and way less wary than deer. With the caveat being, as others have said, as long as you're prepared to deal with an animal of that size.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:53 AM

With a moose....always strive to aim BEHIND the shoulder! Leg and shoulder bone in a moose is as big a bone you will encounter.

Also nondraw moose opportunities are changing and dwindling...make sure you know where you are and if moose is open there for archery THIS year.

There is a small chance...I would say well under 10% you will smash it or make it through....when hunting never take a low percentage shot as a first shot.

Also try to aim bottom third to mid line of the body, a common mistake it to shoot high due to the "hump" on the moose....the lower in the vitals you hit the faster a blood trail will appear. Many many bow hunters have "overshot" moose and hit them too high.

Goes without saying make the first shot count, that's typically all you get.

Moose is a great first archery animal...provided you know what you are doing, have appropriate equipment to do what's needed to retrieve your animal, have the right amount of help to do the work required.

I have hauled out several moose solo...with the use of a quad, but an extra set of hands or two is a huge help!

LC
Old 07-28-2015, 08:58 AM
Banned

Default Weak Knees Can Be Problematic

Not to put a damper on Hunting Moose for your first hunt, but I have been bow hunting moose for years and have been in some pretty tense situations after calling them in while ground hunting.

Make sure your set up is good and that you are well concealed and by a big tree would be my advice. Quite the adrenaline rush when and if they are coming in fast and end up 10 yards in front of you.

Learning how to do a great cow "In Hyper Heat" call works like a charm, especially during the last week of September and the first week of October.

Wishing you success

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtjWNiCUfKI