Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-28-2014, 03:54 PM

Default WTB Central Alberta Trapline

Looking to purchase a trapline at a reasonable price close to Red Deer (3 hours max). If anyone has any info on one please let me know.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:58 PM

Check with fish cops for available lines! But it is an application process that can be denied by the fish cops even if you and the current line holder come to terms! Some reasons for refusal can be; inexperienced trapping, distance from home to line! More experienced trapper also interested! I actually know a guy that has a huge line and agreed to buy another but was denied by fish cops because he lived 4 hrs from line I question! It's not always as easy as buying off a buddy and away you go!!

But check with fish cops they may have a list of available lines

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 01-28-2014, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the reply Mark, I will definitely make the call. I wouldn't even consider it if I didn't have experience (though its been a few years), time, and funds to operate it properly. I am posting to see if there is anything available in my area.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:02 PM
Banned

These refusals to buy second line. Or reasons you can't buy your first line are for the most part BS! And should be run up the ladder. If they can't produce the paperwork backing their claims!

Nowhere is it stated you need x amount of years under your belt. Or x amount of years being a junior on the line. Or on any line for that matter.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:38 PM

bump
Old 01-31-2014, 08:44 PM

With the amount of people that want traplines, I can see why they refuse individuals a second line!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 01-31-2014, 10:55 PM

With the amount of industrial footprint on the Alberta landscape it's not unreasonable that a full time trapper could require two traplines to keep them busy. I'm in that situation myself and am thinking a third line would be nice.

I don't believe any active trapper could be denied a second line. Not saying it hasn't happened but if you pushed you'd get the line in my opinion.

This is an easy problem to solve. ESRD needs to grow some balls and start pulling traplines from those inconsiderate and inactive trapline holders. i don't care if you trapped it 20 years ago, or your Dad did, and claim an emotional tie. BS … you're being selfish and if the previous trapline holders were like you, you would never have got your trapline. Pass it on now to someone who really wants to trap, or get an active junior partner.

I owe a deep debt of gratitude to Ben Gauthier who sold me my first trapline down on the kakwa. Ben was an active trapper but time and bad legs caught up to him and he decided that it was time to pass the line on.

We made one trip down together and hit it off and he sold me the line. Thanks Ben, and perhaps even as much his son Larry who told his dad to go ahead and sell, not hang onto a private hunting camp. Guys like these really cared about trapping and keeping it alive.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:17 PM

Default Buying a trapline

Mark is correct it is not a simple process to buy a line these days. The signed agreement with trapper for price for assets cabin,traps skidoo etc is first half of process. The line then needs to be relinquished back to province. Then the fun begins with F & W. They will put you through a major qualification process. Years of trapping experience, trapping course and/ or exam. They will phone references to your previous senior partner if you were junior for years of experience and capability. I agree with process as they are trying to get most qualified trappers onto lines.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Mark is correct it is not a simple process to buy a line these days. The signed agreement with trapper for price for assets cabin,traps skidoo etc is first half of process. The line then needs to be relinquished back to province. Then the fun begins with F & W. They will put you through a major qualification process. Years of trapping experience, trapping course and/ or exam. They will phone references to your previous senior partner if you were junior for years of experience and capability. I agree with process as they are trying to get most qualified trappers onto lines.
This "relinquished to the crown" is BS. The signed agreement that buyer and seller submit. Is just that, between the buyer and seller. If the buyer is denied to buy the line. It is not relinquished neither has it already been relinquished.

The seller continues to have the line in his possession.

If this is what you were told and are having any problems. Goes for anyone that is active trapper . PM your number and I will call you.

Last edited by 460ford; 02-02-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:29 PM

I have to agree with Brian, USE it or LOSE it. Just because it has a mountain view doesn't make it worth a hundred grand. Give your head a shake.

Time to weed out all the "recreation" so-called trappers. Let someone that knows how to set a trap have it. If you want a retreat buy a cabin in Banff or Canmore. Leave the real wilderness to those that appreciate it.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:05 PM

I would appreciate just being able to have alist of non active lines and be able to talk to the owners to be able to trap them. I would love to have a line within a couple hours to catch stuff like lynx, fisher , wolves and marten.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:37 PM

I have a map of all the lines in Alberta (not as many as one would think). From what I understand there many delinquent lines that are never trapped, now that's the map I would like to see. Are there no rules regarding the amount of fur that has to be harvested yearly?
Old 02-03-2014, 12:03 AM
Banned

I just asked a similar question on another thread Jack. I have a trappers manual handy here so I had a look to see what it had to say. It says that an RFMA is assigned for a 5 year period of time provided that the licence is renewed every year. Also, the Minister can exercise his authority not to issue a renewal. I haven't seen anywhere where is says that the senior licence holder has to actively trap the RFMA though. You'd think that if nothing was trapped on the RFMA for a number of years that F&W would not renew the license but who knows how that works?
Old 02-03-2014, 07:11 AM
Banned

I believe at least in our area there are more legit trappers than ever, and two great Locals that are very active. Only one line I know of that isn't being trapped and the line holder won't let a Junior partner on or any other arrangement is the Ya Ha Tinda line. He won't entertain selling either. This has gone on for over 20 years. The line to the South (Panther) is totally oppposite where the trapper is very active.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I just asked a similar question on another thread Jack. I have a trappers manual handy here so I had a look to see what it had to say. It says that an RFMA is assigned for a 5 year period of time provided that the licence is renewed every year. Also, the Minister can exercise his authority not to issue a renewal. I haven't seen anywhere where is says that the senior licence holder has to actively trap the RFMA though. You'd think that if nothing was trapped on the RFMA for a number of years that F&W would not renew the license but who knows how that works?
I know of a few guys that have lines that buy their fur from other's to keep their trappers status
Old 02-04-2014, 11:43 AM

Default Trapline

Jack B, last year there were two lines available in your area west of Rocky. First line east border on trunk road, north from Nordegg $85K new cabin etc. The second line was immediately east with good cabin $115K. Take your pick. I can give you contacts telephone, line numbers etc if you have deep pockets and understanding wife.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:20 PM

Probably more than I would like to spend I was hoping to find something more in the $40K area, doesn't need to have a cabin. Does anybody else know of anyone looking to sell? I would definitely compensate someone if they could help me find one.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:22 PM

Still looking.