Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-20-2012, 10:58 PM
waylow

Default Bait sites

I do some custom fencing in the area and have come across some baiting sites. Tonight I found my 3rd one in about 2 weeks.
Should I be calling F&W?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:06 PM

It doesnt surprise me. We found a few of old bait sites that were 3 years old by the signs that were posted. So we just cleaned up the sites. probly should have reported it. There signs were in pretty good shape and could still read their name and number.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:21 PM

Default Carry on

Put up your fence & carry on… I saw 10 people talking on cell phones while driving their cars & some guy riding a motorcycle with no helmet. If all we had to do was rat people out, we'd be on the phone all day long.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:36 PM
Banned

dont you have some time to get things taken down? season ended 5 days ago right?

i know that where i hunted this spring, there were guys told me that they leave the barrels and stuff out all year and just clean out the vittles. i wouldnt feel right about that, but apparently thats the way they do it there.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcan View Post
Put up your fence & carry on… I saw 10 people talking on cell phones while driving their cars & some guy riding a motorcycle with no helmet. If all we had to do was rat people out, we'd be on the phone all day long.

I think in a civilized society all citizens should have some concern for seeing the laws upheld.

I don't report all the law breaking I see (If i see someone talking on their cell and driving, I like to lay on the horn for them) but do help the authorities out sometimes and they are very thankful for it.

"Bait sites" Are you talking about Bear bait sites left out like everyone is assuming? Or are they sites for baiting other wildlife?

Once I found what was left of a pile of grain near a tree stand. I took a picture. I was there again two days later and the pile had been added to. I took a picture and gave this info and pictures to F&W. They tracked the guy down and he said he had put out bait for his trail cams but had stopped baiting when bow season opened and he was bow hunting from the stand.

Then F&W showed him the pictures and dates and was he surprised. He was convicted and I got some $ from report-a-paocher.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 06-21-2012, 08:50 PM
waylow

No these are fresh sites with auto feeders, cameras and tree stands. Definitely not old sites, definitely for deer.
**** it, I'm gonna start setting up bait sites too! Maybe leave a few extra piles behind the combine this year.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:22 PM

Hey Waylo,

Pardon my ignorance but I automatically jumped to the conclusion that you were onto black bear stands & with the season just recently over blah blah blah. It never occurred to me that someone would be baiting for deer & possibly jacking. Sorry man.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:27 PM

Report it. Plain and simple.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:53 PM

Haha i assumed the same about the bear baiting, but your gonna get the guy that says it is for taking pictures.....so pick and chose your battles I guess?I have never found a blatant baiting site before, it is spring and if they are feeding deer are they hunting?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:04 PM

If they are still there during an open hunting season yes, if there is a tree stand there yes, if you see a guy with a weapon there yes, if you see nothing but trail cameras and feeders during a non hunting season, not sure what you can do? You and I would assume he/she was hunting the bait but....
Old 06-21-2012, 10:21 PM

I dont think there is anything against baiting to take pics of animals . If you are not actively hunting over the bait then you should be ok. What about all of my neighbours that feed the deer throughout the winter and fall in their backyards? Are they baiting? or giving the deer some help to get through our winters?
Old 06-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylow View Post
I do some custom fencing in the area and have come across some baiting sites. Tonight I found my 3rd one in about 2 weeks.
Should I be calling F&W?

Is this on private land or Ag. lease land? Have you talked about this to the land owners or lessees?

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 06-22-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch10 View Post
With the abundance of facts presented in the OP that seems like a fair conclusion. Surprising F&W has their resources stretched thin when they have to deal with crap like this.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch10 View Post
Report it…?

What is illegal here…? Is there a tree stand set up…?
Old 06-23-2012, 04:22 PM
waylow

Private and lease land.
Tree stand within 10 yards.
And got a pic of the truck yesterday who is visiting the site. He has a nice advertisement on his back window of his outfitting company as well.

Het, I'm all about trophy hunting, but let's do it legally.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Private and lease land.
Tree stand within 10 yards.
And got a pic of the truck yesterday who is visiting the site. He has a nice advertisement on his back window of his outfitting company as well.

Het, I'm all about trophy hunting, but let's do it legally.
What hes doing then is getting deer accustomed to the food being there and taking pictures of the deer to show to clients. Then just before the season starts he will clean up this site. But the deer will continue to visit through out the season with hopes of an easy meal being there. Simular to a bird feeder. After awhile they will come in all the time, when the seed runs out they still come. Its a bad loophole into baiting deer in alberta
Old 06-23-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Should I be calling F&W?
Why wouldn't you report an illegal act?
Old 06-24-2012, 12:01 AM

If he's hunting this time of the year, or if he's baiting in the fall, then he's poaching.
Nothing wrong as far as I can see from what you say you've seen.
But would not hurt to mention it to the authorities, and they can maybe monitor the site through out the summer to see if the guy is behaving.

TBark
Old 06-24-2012, 10:09 AM
waylow

These are fresh set ups. The area has been gone through with a weed whacker, auto feeders set up, cameras up, tree stands up, looks like a poacher to me. Phoned F&W yesterday. I'm meeting them there tomorrow AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:00 PM

Good for you
Let us know how it turns out.