Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2024, 06:51 PM

Default Ged

Well it turns out for me to get on with a certain oil company as a mechanic i need a GED so 17years as a JM don’t count for squat. Anyone here taken a GED if so what was it like. I will have to find a place in Edmonton that does it maybe nait not sure.
Old 02-08-2024, 06:54 PM

can do it online if you like
https://www.alberta.ca/general-educational-development

looks like in may 2024 there is no more GED
Old 02-08-2024, 07:31 PM

Wow no more ged i wonder what people will do then that don’t have a grade 12
Old 02-08-2024, 08:37 PM

how do they even know you dont have a high school diploma?
I mean I worked for tourmaline, shell, cenovus, etc and never got asked about highschool
Old 02-09-2024, 06:58 AM

I'm not sure how you got your JM as you would have had to provide your school transcripts to Nait of where ever you took your schooling
Old 02-09-2024, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHorn View Post
I mean I worked for tourmaline, shell, cenovus, etc and never got asked about highschool
Most places would check transcripts to confirm. We do. Depends on the position you’re applying for I guess.
Old 02-09-2024, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHorn View Post
My employer never hired any tradesmen that didn't have grade 12, or a GED. When the policy was adopted, all existing tradesmen had to obtain a GED, or lose their position.
Old 02-09-2024, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
My employer never hired any tradesmen that didn't have grade 12, or a GED. When the policy was adopted, all existing tradesmen had to obtain a GED, or lose their position.
That is ridiculous. I can understand the first part, but to have someone that has been doing the job have to get is just stupid.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-09-2024, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
Most places would check transcripts to confirm. We do. Depends on the position you’re applying for I guess.
Sorry about your luck. Cant say in 20 years anyone on the rigs has been asked about a high school diploma. Consultants too
Old 02-09-2024, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
That is ridiculous. I can understand the first part, but to have someone that has been doing the job have to get is just stupid.
Yet that is what happened. The company helped some employees to obtain a GED, and redeployed some to non trades positions, if they couldn't obtain a GED.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:05 AM

Learn from my mistake so you don’t get screwed later. Be careful what school you choose and check your transcripts within a reasonable time after completion

So I got the boot and was on my own at 16 working and going to school. Came up short to graduate do to missing a Science(ugly experience with teacher partly my own fault). Because of this I completed a science through night school at an adult education center the next year. Assuming all was well and properly recorded for my diploma.

Fast forward over 25 years and I have decided to go back to school for a change in careers after being hounded by the wife. Get my transcripts to apply for my first course and the science course I completed in the adult learning center is not on there.

So yeah I am now sitting here doing bio 30 till June(provincial exam so can’t fast track it) instead of being excepted as a mature student and starting the course I intend too

Welcome to the pain in the of upgrading as an adult
Old 02-09-2024, 08:19 AM

I was 1 credit short coming out of high school. Many years later I was asked to prove completion. Went to the local high school, filled out an application and received 5 credits for work experience.

Last edited by MyAlberta; 02-09-2024 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:02 AM

I got my JM cause i wrote a entrance exam nait.
I found that after may alberta is going to have its own version of the ged. Suncor and CNRL ask for high school or GED credentials
Old 02-09-2024, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Company policies for you. Some make very little sense and are really just another way for HR to exercise their power over you.

The company I was at came out with a new policy, no time off allowed during turn arounds [shut downs]. They would rather make a 60 year old shovel crap, do hole watch, empty garbage buckets etc at $47+ per hour than bring in a young person at $25 per hour.

Needing a GED is just more evidence that it's a good idea to get your education while you can. Grade 12 minimum
Old 02-09-2024, 09:45 AM

As noted, AB GED is done in 2024, The AB government is working on something to replace it:

https://www.alberta.ca/general-educational-development
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Henry David Thoreau

"And we'll drink but not to forget
But to remember instead
All our happy years."

- Lowest of the Low, Subversives
Old 02-09-2024, 09:53 AM

The ol "Good Enough Diploma" for those that were too good for high school....
Old 02-09-2024, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moniaw24 View Post
I'm not sure how you got your JM as you would have had to provide your school transcripts to Nait of where ever you took your schooling
Can’t speak for today, but when I did my HD mechanic apprenticeship in Sask and received my interprovincial license, grade 10 was all that was required. I believe that was across the board of all trades; I would bet it was across all provinces too.
Old 02-09-2024, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Kind of unfair, some people's life situations just didn't permit it and the importance of having gr. 12 wasn't critical. Speaking as a university graduate who worked to mostly pay my tuition, no money for that in the family budget, though I did get free room and board WHILE at school.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-09-2024, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Did having a diploma or GED make them a better tradesmen?
How do these desk jockeys that make these decisions get their heads that far up their arse when they are sitting on in it?
Old 02-09-2024, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Did having a diploma or GED make them a better tradesmen?
How do these desk jockeys that make these decisions get their heads that far up their arse when they are sitting on in it?
You would really be impressed with the exceptions they make based on race.
Old 02-09-2024, 04:08 PM

Quote:
You would really be impressed with the exceptions they make based on race.
That comes as no surprise at all. And yeah, super impressed.
Had the good/mis fortune of spending a few winters up in the Mac on drilling programs for 3 of the big players up there. I've seen the nitwits they hire running around up on those sites due to the need for so many bodies to work.
To come up with a policy that a high school education is required for a journeyman mechanic to work there is absolutely absurd. The stupidity never ceases to amaze me
Old 02-09-2024, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Can’t speak for today, but when I did my HD mechanic apprenticeship in Sask and received my interprovincial license, grade 10 was all that was required. I believe that was across the board of all trades; I would bet it was across all provinces too.
Yep you are correct. I don't have a grade 10 or a GED. I did an entrance exam to qualify for my autobody apprenticeship, and then years later when I did my heavy duty mechanic, I was already qualified.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2024, 05:30 PM

Things being what they are these days, one has to wonder if a high school education is all it's cracked up to be ? The function of education has evolved away from turning out functional productive members of society , capable of thinking, to the level of not stepping on anyone's toes and which bathroom to use.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-09-2024, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
LOL, yep or their parents were killed and one had to get a job and support their 2 brother and sister. I know, I know. Exception. But that person never did return to school, just started a business sold for 100+ million and retired young.
Old 02-09-2024, 06:30 PM
AO Sponsor

I was too lazy to do my GED to get jobs so I opened my own business... Boy was I in for a surprise! lol
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23