Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-15-2023, 03:18 PM

Default Edmonton Pot Hole Lakes

How have Muir and Star been Fishing.Muir was slow and didnt look good earlier in summer .
Old 09-16-2023, 07:07 PM

Tried Hasse today with leeches and backswimmers. Buddy had an 18" 'bow on a sparkle olive leech and I had a 15" 'bow on an olive bunny leech, and that was it for 4 hours on the water.

On the plus side the water quality is much better than this time last year and the backswimmer/boatman activity is beginning, although the fish don't seem to know that yet!
Old 09-17-2023, 07:45 AM

Me and a buddy were at Carson Lake trolling nymphs yesterday. Caught about 40 rainbows in 5 hours. Steady and a lot of fun. 12" to 15"
Old 09-19-2023, 07:15 AM

Backswimmers are heating up at Cardiff. On a side note, I did catch what appears to be a Prussian carp. I watched some shore fishermen hauling out and keeping several fish. I hope they were cleaning out these carp.
Old 09-19-2023, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsuplander View Post
Backswimmers are heating up at Cardiff. On a side note, I did catch what appears to be a Prussian carp. I watched some shore fishermen hauling out and keeping several fish. I hope they were cleaning out these carp.
The same people who put the perch and crayfish in there. It’s been an Asian community aquaculture project for years.

Only difference is I liked eating perch and crayfish. Stupid carp are worthless, but the perch kept winterkilling
Old 09-26-2023, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsuplander View Post
Carp, presumably Prussian, have also been found at Spring Lake(Parkland County) - some up to 15". I hear too they've also shown up in Hansen's Reservoir, east of Sylvan Lake. Apparently they can lay eggs 3 times a year and these eggs are easily transported to other lakes in bird feces or from fishing gear, especially landing nets. Washing nets and other gear maybe needs to become a routine part of every fishing trip.
Old 09-26-2023, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSL View Post
Carp, presumably Prussian, have also been found at Spring Lake(Parkland County) - some up to 15". I hear too they've also shown up in Hansen's Reservoir, east of Sylvan Lake. Apparently they can lay eggs 3 times a year and these eggs are easily transported to other lakes in bird feces or from fishing gear, especially landing nets. Washing nets and other gear maybe needs to become a routine part of every fishing trip.
I’m sorry to hear this. Love Spring Lake.
Old 09-28-2023, 07:24 PM

Where are the tigers at Salter's? Four trips to Salter's over the last week and not a sign of tigers by anyone!

Stocking truck yesterday put in 1500 rainbows in the 8 to 10 inch size range.
Old 10-01-2023, 08:41 PM

Hasse Lake sucks. Expert fly fishers in the Northern Lights club, including myself, skunked this afternoon. Murky water and strong wind from the south.
Old 10-02-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Hasse Lake sucks. Expert fly fishers in the Northern Lights club, including myself, skunked this afternoon. Murky water and strong wind from the south.
Thanks for the update. I was wondering and now I no longer need to.
Old 10-02-2023, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Even expert fisherman get skunked sometimes. Doesn’t mean the lake sucks. I’ve been skunked the odd time on a lake that’s productive, and I consider myself pretty educated when it comes to fly fishing. That said, I haven’t fished Hasse for years but I’ve also heard good things about it.

Last edited by orvisman; 10-02-2023 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 04:04 PM

Quote:
The ego on this one is strong young Padwan…🤦*♂️
Old 10-03-2023, 04:49 AM

Quote:

What makes a person an expert fly fisher ? LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2023, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdrenalin View Post

You'll know when and if you get there. LOL
Old 10-03-2023, 05:14 PM

Quote:

If you have to ask you'll never know!
Old 10-03-2023, 06:37 PM

So sour Mr Flyguy

Old 10-03-2023, 10:49 PM

[QUOTE=newdrenalin;4665124]What makes a person an expert fly fisher ? LOL

Don't know who said it but I remember being told many years ago that an expert fisherman is someone who tells lies easily without blushing!
Surely that can't be true of fly fishermen, can it!??
Old 10-04-2023, 10:35 AM

Getting serious and back to the OP's question, a fishing buddy (an expert fly fisher beyond any doubt) was on Muir yesterday for a little over 3 hours and had nary a hit, despite marking lots of fish with his finder. Said the water clarity was very poor.

So another local pot hole that sucks!
Old 10-04-2023, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Getting serious and back to the OP's question, a fishing buddy (an expert fly fisher beyond any doubt) was on Muir yesterday for a little over 3 hours and had nary a hit, despite marking lots of fish with his finder. Said the water clarity was very poor.

So another local pot hole that sucks!
Sounds like nothing has changed. I did not fish it this year having been skunked the last four times I had been there and the water clarity was poor.
Old 10-04-2023, 01:22 PM

Water clarity has been a real issue on Muir for a few years now. I have been avoiding it because of how inconsistent it had become.
Old 10-06-2023, 12:37 PM

I don’t com on the AO Forum often, but I did the other day and took interest in this thread.

Hasse is a bird poo disaster! I had hope when they decided to aerate it but that has dissolved quickly. It stinks and the water is disgusting, never mind a guy usually get skunked!
Muir as well! That’s a waste of money! I know there’s been a lot of effort put into it but it hasn’t fished well since they killed it over the “open water” legislation.

Put all of those sterile trout in the NSR, forget about aerating a slough, and enjoy a fishery that would grow big trout right in the city👍
Old 10-07-2023, 10:21 AM

I’m with Flyguy. Muir and Hasse are poor pot holes. Others chiming in here confirm water quality and hours put in. For local pot holes better to focus on one’s with decent water quality. If any…

Old 10-10-2023, 07:37 AM

Any thoughts on the root causes of the poor water clarity. These lakes used to have "normal" water but now it is off colour with limited visibility. Is this just the natural progression that these "lakes" go through or is there some other mitigating factor. On a side note, I was chasing pike at Lac St. Anne yesterday and it is still covered with algae, with some blue-green pockets. Pretty late in the year for algae bloom to still be an issue.
Old 10-10-2023, 08:20 AM

Thanks for reports on Muir and Hasse. Have been thinking of trying both.

I consider an expert anyone that has put well over 10,000 hours in.

I've seen Flyguy and others outfish me on many days.

Still another 4 or 5 thousand hours left before I get my expert badge. Lol !
Old 10-10-2023, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Someone who can manage to hide 50 grand worth of gear in the house without the spouse knowing.
Old 10-10-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmonkey View Post
Thanks for reports on Muir and Hasse. Have been thinking of trying both.

I consider an expert anyone that has put well over 10,000 hours in.

I've seen Flyguy and others outfish me on many days.

Still another 4 or 5 thousand hours left before I get my expert badge. Lol !
An expert is not someone who catches lots of fish in an outing. An expert is not some with 10,000 hours fishing. 10,000 hours fishing a balanced leech doesn’t make an expert. Likely you were just simplifying.

An expert is someone who catches far more than anyone else on the lake. When fishing slows they change locations, depth, fly, presentation and keep catching when everyone else stops catching.

It’s when the person gets to a new lake and starts off catching nothing and then figures it out and starts catching.

Anyone can catch fish when they are biting stupid easy.

An expert catches when the fishing is tough.

Many so called experts have a go to fly and that’s all they use or maybe one other fly. They only fish with a corkie or stripping and can’t switch back and forth.

An expert ties their own flies and matches the hatch well either surface or subsurface.

An expert knows they know very little and learn daily and will watch the water as well as others. What are others doing right or wrong. What’s working for others. Where the fish are rising and what their behaviour is either fast rises or slow rises.

I’ve fished with experts and they are and I’ve fished with “expert” who don’t have a clue and they don’t know they don’t have a clue.

It’s true 5% of anglers consistently catch 95% of the fish.

An expert can fish from shore, from a row boat, canoe, kayak, float tube…

Where ever you are on the range… what matters most is are you outdoors and having fun.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 10-10-2023 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-10-2023, 11:48 AM

A lot of members get hung up on terms. Expert just change to "Experienced" and all should be good. We all have difference levels of experience.

And yes, I consider some of the persons mentioned as experienced fly fishers who I can trust.

The rest is just plain ole BS
Old 10-11-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
A lot of members get hung up on terms. Expert just change to "Experienced" and all should be good. We all have difference levels of experience.

And yes, I consider some of the persons mentioned as experienced fly fishers who I can trust.

The rest is just plain ole BS
Yep. Some days even the most experienced fisherperson can get skunked!