Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-26-2015, 01:07 PM

Default Skinning Axe

Has anyone used the Hunter's axe by Gränsfors Bruk (or something similar) to peel off a hide or break down an animal? I ordered mine through Lee Valley tools but here is the GB website: http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/prod...s-hunters-axe/

I've heard old stories of Scandinavians using axes to skin frozen moose on their longer hunting trips and always liked the idea of carrying one on my belt out in the field. Seemed like it would come in handy splitting the pelvis or opening up the ribs too, stuff like that. I finally ordered one in and it feels great, has a good heft but its not too light. Wicked sharp right out of the box. If you're backpacking and concerned about weight you might like a little folding saw better, but if I manage to fill my general elk tag this year I will wield it with great enthusiasm.

If you carry an axe or hatchet to field dress your game what do you like to use and how do you like to use it?
Old 07-26-2015, 03:07 PM

this last year when I shot my elk I realized that we had forgot the saw at home, my dad had his fiskers hatchet though so we tried that, wow! it was so easy and so controlled, I would think there would be less chance of breaking any guts if you split the pelvis and breast bone with the hatchet than cutting with the saw. never used one to skin an animal though.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:00 PM

Interesting to hear! Did you chop through? Or did you pound the back of the hatchet with something else? Fiskars makes a fine product, love their stuff
Old 07-26-2015, 07:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
Interesting to hear! Did you chop through? Or did you pound the back of the hatchet with something else? Fiskars makes a fine product, love their stuff
I've used one for last couple of seasons on 10 -12 WT Deer and Cow Elk.
You can't pound Hunters Axe with anything as it has very smooth, rounded poll designed to separate hide by hitting between hide and flesh. Regular axe would damaged hide as poll has sharp edges.
This axe is so sharp that I use it sometimes instead of knife cutting hide.
You have to be careful when chopping hard bone as it can chip easily.

If somebody is concerned with weight GB have Hatchet that is only 300 grams or 0.3 kg ( Hunters Axe is 900 grams or 0.9 kg about 2 lbs.)

I've split Cow Elk brisket and cut across lumbar area by chopping it through.

I have a few Fiskers axes but caring GBruk axe feels like driving Ferrari not Hundai.
Andrew

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 07-26-2015, 09:08 PM
Banned

I have a Gransfors Bruks Hunters axe and even though I've used the poll a couple times I prefer the blade when I'm skinning. It's a great sized hatchet nevertheless.

If you get one, buy their expensive diamond steel and you'll never have a dull axe in the field.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:43 PM
Gone Hunting

I've never heard of a skinning axe.

For butchering I've used a variety of tools to cut through bone.

I can skin, gut and quarter any animal with just my knife. If I have to.
But if I have access to the kill by motorized transport I prefer to use faster easier methods. I've used a number as I say.

When I was guiding, and a few times after, we used a small chain saw. I used a Homelite XL but I don't care for the bone chips it produces.

I've also used felling axes, hatchets and sawzalls.

These days if I can access the kill with a vehicle I use a rechargeable sawzall.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-26-2015, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I've never heard of a skinning axe.
The only thing that is meant for skinning on a Gransfors Hunting Axe is the ground poll. Otherwise It's a good sized hatchet. Sawzalls are great for splitting the animal in two halves.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
at first we tried placing the edge against the bone and then hitting it with a wooden bat, thought it would give more control but it did not work. so then we just chopped, that worked splendid.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:41 AM

Gutless
Old 07-27-2015, 12:24 PM

Default I own this axe and I have - meh

I spent the money on this axe as a present to myself. It takes a little time to get used to the technique. You get the benefit of some leverage and a clean separation of hide and meat. It works and it saves the hide from scoring/small cuts you get with a blade. But...You can also do this to the same effectiveness with a good oblong river rock that fits your hand. One with a slightly triangular shape with a flat side and the other that curves to your hand works best. certainly cheaper than the gransfors.

The haft is a little less forgiving for camp activities than the small forest axe (the one i would buy if i did it over again.) The rounded poll is easier to carve with but harder to pound in a tent peg. The blade quality is as good as any gransfors but it has a bit more of a tomahawk feel to it than the SFA. Its unique but I've never been a fan of having the business end of a sharp GF axe coming back at my face. I wish they put a regular haft on this axe instead of the one they use.

You could say I'm nitpicking but for that kind of money I think you should think about it.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:32 PM

I carry one of these with me 99% of the time.
http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Gar...hopping-Axe-28

Havent yet used it for skinning, however for breaking down an animal into quarters. Its excellent. Better than using a bone saw imo.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:08 PM
Gone Hunting

Axe to split the chest open, knife for the rest, unless I have my sawzall.

I can open the chest with a knife if I have to but it's a slow difficult job.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-28-2015, 06:54 AM

I use a Wetterlings small forest axe for my big game cleaning. Quick work on the ribs and pelvic bone. My brother was impressed. Just cuts through like no ones business. That and a sharp knife is always in my pack.

I order some knife blades and made some maple handles for them. I'm so excited to get out and use them this year. I just need to make a double sheath for them.

I've looked into that granfors bruks axe and I never did end up buying one yet. Eventually I will. I love axes and there history, cleaning, sharpening, and making handles for them.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:56 AM

I am a bit of an axe nut, I have a few and have been using them since I was little. I considered GFBs, but never bought one, they are too much money now IMO, I do have one Wetterling, which is very similar in quality.
I never used axe for skinning, I am not interested either, unless I don't have a knife. I do like to split the pelvis with axe and ribcage, depending on the size of the animal. To anyone new to carrying an axe - make sure you have a good sheath and use it, pack it securely and safely and know how to use it.
Axes can do a lot of damage very quickly. Falling on an axe is as dangerous as hitting oneself. In general - longer axes are safer than short ones.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:00 PM

Wow quite a few people, thanks for the responses guys. Looking forward to giving it a try

Tags
börk börk, gränsfors bruk, skinning axe