Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-20-2015, 10:47 AM

Default Wmu 353 cow elk tag pulled 😀

This is my first time in pulled a cow elk tag for 353 😀
Could someone who's hinted that area successfully please point me in the right direction and maybe pass down some knowledge of the area and where would be the best spot to start at 😀
Thank you very much gang , feel free to PM me

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything. (Mark twain)

if you don't have the time to do it right now,
how you gonna find time to do it right later !!!!!
(truck window)
Old 07-20-2015, 09:40 PM

Hate to tell you this ...because of the wolfs and the heavy logging the elk do not hang out in one area,they just keep on moving at night. You just have to be in the right spot at the right time . Government make millions on selling tags and very few get shot on crown land.
Best is just to go up there and do some scouting in aug and bring a fishing rod.

Last edited by -JR-; 07-20-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:10 PM

I'm shocked on how many threads get started about drawing a tag and not knowing any where to hunt that zone
Old 07-21-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Hate to tell you this ...because of the wolfs and the heavy logging the elk do not hang out in one area,they just keep on moving at night. You just have to be in the right spot at the right time . Government make millions on selling tags and very few get shot on crown land.
Best is just to go up there and do some scouting in aug and bring a fishing rod.
This is the best advice you're going to get. fishing the little smokey is pretty awesome in early fall
Old 07-21-2015, 09:40 AM

I'm afraid he is right. I took the cow tag 4 years ago with a priority 5, my son got one also that year with a priority 0, DOH!!! We put in probably 3full weeks. Found some sign, a friend of mine got a cow that year we got tag soup. I suggest going the following morning after a cold cold night and fresh snow. Drive and drive to find a herd (3 or better) laying down some fresh track and move on them.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:45 AM

Goodluck, you will need it with over 400 tags being issued and 30-70 antlerless elk harvested each year in WMU 353 you will need to wait 8 years to harvest your elk if you are an average hunter. To many wolves, bears, cougar and native meat harvesters in that zone.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:49 AM

The southern portion is my trapline. I find the elk are there in summer and as soon as hunting season is near they start to travel and dissapear. Not sure if they head tot he Athabasca river or what but during the winter months I do not see elk or sign on the line at all. I'm affraid unless you bow hunt early Septyou will have a tough time getting an animal
Old 07-21-2015, 12:59 PM

between the increased moose tags, abundance of wolves, oil/logging activity and atvs allowed in the morning.....that zone just plain sucks now.

was one of the best in its day. Complete waste of time now unless you are one of the few that have a little honey hole staked out on the fringe areas near the farms.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
between the increased moose tags, abundance of wolves, oil/logging activity and atvs allowed in the morning.....that zone just plain sucks now.

was one of the best in its day. Complete waste of time now unless you are one of the few that have a little honey hole staked out on the fringe areas near the farms.
x2
Old 07-22-2015, 09:34 AM

I filled my cow tag in 353 5-6 years ago. 5 of us hunted 8 days and I was the only one to see an elk. They are there, but I would never attempt to hunt that zone for elk without snow.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:49 PM

I could help you in 352...ive found a herd myself...but 353 is all luck
Old 07-22-2015, 01:57 PM

My buddy and I had a tag for cow elk there last year. We sat in a clearing fairly close to the Little Smoky and lucked out when two cows and a little bull come through, so he filled his tag. That was on day 2 of our trip, and we never saw another elk all week. This was late September.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:28 PM

Ya, nearby zones are better IMO.
We see elk in 351, likey due to access being somewhat limited in that zone.

TBark
Old 07-27-2015, 08:23 PM

there are elk in 353 in some spots there are lots of them. the worst thing about it is its all bush and they can hear you coming, and when you get tired of hunting the bush there's more bush to hunt. the best thing I call tell you for this year only its hot and dry the elk will be close to the river hunt the river.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:00 PM

Lol.... You need a quad... Hunt the seismic lines rite off the main roads, i seem to find herds of 20-30 animals just out of line of sight early morning... Bring bear spray, bells, whistles, horns and a big gun if all else fails... You will see brown bear in that area.

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not