Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Banned

Default anyone here smoke a tobacco pipe?

I Was bsing with the neighbor tonight when he whipped out his tobacco pipe and started puffing away. Last person I ever saw smoke a tobacco pipe was my Grandpa and it was always sweet smelling, I didn't mind the scent. Anyone here smoke a tobacco pipe? I like my cigars but have never tried a tobacco pipe.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:22 AM

Default Once upon a time

I quit smoking nine years ago, but damn I miss the pipe, I used to fly fish the bow alot and my mentor was a pipe smoker so I naturally dropped my cigarettes and started packing a pipe. way easier to handle while casting for sure. Just talking about it brings back great memories..PS I won't smoke again nor would I encourage anyone else to...but oh the sweet smell is so hard to duplicate!
Old 02-20-2011, 12:29 AM

Yup I do , I do so every now and then not everyday useually when im out fishin or huntin I even got a corn cob pipe then another . I just love the smell of it .
Old 02-20-2011, 01:17 AM

Never smoked a tobacco pipe............................................

The old man did, and I agree, it smelled damn good!

I'm tempted sometimes. If I ever did smoke a tobacco pipe, I'd smoke a tobacco pipe like the one Tool smoked in The Expendables:

But then, I'd also like to have Tool's bike, Sly's F-150 and Grumman Albatross.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:25 PM

Yup, the aroma of pipe smoke is right up there on a par with hoppes#9. I have a few pipes around, been years since I smoked one though.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:30 PM

Always loved the smell of my grandfathers. Used to smoke those flavoured cigarillos when I was camping with my cousins and I might if I am on hunting tripsand we are settled around the camp fire, but apparently you can only buy them unfiltered in Alberta now. Is this true?
Old 02-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENGUN View Post
Always loved the smell of my grandfathers. Used to smoke those flavoured cigarillos when I was camping with my cousins and I might if I am on hunting tripsand we are settled around the camp fire, but apparently you can only buy them unfiltered in Alberta now. Is this true?
Yes thats true and frankly I think its stupid. Filters were there for a reason. The lady at the store said they took the filters out becasue they figure kids wouldnt smoke them as much or at all. yeah made sense eh? kill them faster with no filters. I only have them once in a while like around the fire, fishing or just when I randomly crave one. I dont think there as good with the filter gone.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:23 PM

One Halloween I bought a nice pipe and grabbed a pouch of Captain Black cherry tobacco to go with it. The tobacco smells really
nice, though I've never been a smoker. It was for a Hugh Hefner themed costume I thought up. After the house party we went to a night club and happened across a few 'Playboy Bunnies', who fit the IQ part of their costumes, as they had no clue who my costume represented
Old 02-20-2011, 03:43 PM

Thumbs up Briarwood Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterSkeeter View Post
I Was bsing with the neighbor tonight when he whipped out his tobacco pipe and started puffing away. Last person I ever saw smoke a tobacco pipe was my Grandpa and it was always sweet smelling, I didn't mind the scent. Anyone here smoke a tobacco pipe? I like my cigars but have never tried a tobacco pipe.
As a young and foolish lad, I tried 'em all ... cigs, stogies, and pipes. I never got too interested in any of them, at the time.

Later on, in my late 20's I took up pipe smoking. I smoked both briarwood and corncob pipes. It never got to be a 'habbit' for me ... sometimes I'd go a week or more without lighting up. Most times it involved sittin' around with a friend after a hard days work, sharing a pouch ... something we almost never see anymore -

No, that's ^ not me!

By my late 30's I had given-up the practrice ... I can't remember why . I still have one of my old briarwood pipes. I think I'll pick up a pouch of pipe tobacco tomorrow, and give 'er a try again.

Thanks for the thread WaterSkeeter

TF
Old 02-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Banned

I've got a few pipes and have a puff of tobacco once in a while...usually sitting around a fire or just on the back deck.

Sherlock Holmes tobacco is a good one...I also have a tin of nightcap which I have yet to try...it smells pretty strong and likely part of the reason it's called nightcap.

I can remember as a young lad my dad smoking a pipe for a bit, and one of the guys he worked with always had a pipe going....always loved the smell of a pipe or cigar.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:51 PM

I smoke a pipe in every new country I visit, so about 15 pipes smoked.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:07 PM

Pipe tobacco is the only good tobacco I say. Tobacconist on Whyte in Edmonton can set you up. They have some inventive blends and are passionate about it.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Banned

Id definitley like to give it a try, I enjoy my cigars around the campfire or with a beer etc etc so why not try the pipe.

Wish there was a place in town here that sold that kind of stuff
Old 02-21-2011, 09:53 AM

The best place to light a pipe is in the woods around a campfire. Try it sometime. Highly recommended.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:00 AM

Smoked only a pipe for twenty years back when a tin of Brown Amphora was about $2.50 ... add a tin of Erinmore for $1.75 and you had a good smoke that would keep you going for about a week . That would have been about 20 years ago ... don't know what a tin of tobacco is worth now ? Still miss smoking everyday !
Old 02-21-2011, 10:10 AM

this is like drinking in front of an ___________ man do I want a smoke!!!!
Same tobacconist up on 118 just by the hughs on 99 used to mix and match but instead of a pipe rolled my own cigars with the leaf tobacco they sold(heard you cant buy that anymore either)
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the king and parliament
All up alive!
Eat, Drink, and be merry for tomorrow we shall surely die
Certified tinfoil hat wearing redneck.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:47 AM

i've smoked a pipe for years. have a few including a meerschaum calabash that was given to me by my sister in law.
it was her grandfather's and is well over 100 years old and a great smoke.

at one time if you smoked only pipes and cigars insurance companies considered you a non-smoker. not sure if that's still in effect tho.

a good pipe is good company... especially with a good scotch.

btw mickey's pipe in "the expendables" is called a church warden.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotsobrite View Post
Smoked only a pipe for twenty years back when a tin of Brown Amphora was about $2.50 ... add a tin of Erinmore for $1.75 and you had a good smoke that would keep you going for about a week . That would have been about 20 years ago ... don't know what a tin of tobacco is worth now ? Still miss smoking everyday !

You don't want to know. I smoked a pipe for serveal years. Usually Troost Aromatic or Mac barens Plumb cake. That was back in the days a pouch was about 2.50 as you say. Now a pouch of even the worst stuff..is 20.00.

I dind't mind Amphora and Erinmore was good, but ....Captain Black....It smelled real nice but tasted like something you'd pick up in the back yard.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:01 AM

My Dad still smokes a pipe. Captain Black is his favorite. Nasty habit but I have to admit I like the smell of it. I have tried it a couple times over the years and thankfully I couldn't do it.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:23 AM

Come to think of it, the most interesting pipe I smoked was a Hookah at a sidewalk cafe in downtown Cairo. I chose to smoke the apple flavour Shisha. Great taste. You can actually drag and blow billowing plumes of smoke through that water pipe with zero sensation in your lungs. It's all about the flavour. Not much aroma.

Attachment 32526

Not sure how well these pipes would go over in camp.

Last edited by pogo; 04-17-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:29 AM
Banned

Default awesome pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
My Dad still smokes a pipe. Captain Black is his favorite. Nasty habit but I have to admit I like the smell of it. I have tried it a couple times over the years and thankfully I couldn't do it.

Now that is a picture worth framing. Pipe in the teeth, with an O/U in one hand, and a mittfull of greenheads in the other. If I had a pic of my dad like that it, would be up on the wall.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo View Post
Come to think of it, the most interesting pipe I smoked was a Hookah at a sidewalk cafe in downtown Cairo. I chose to smoke the apple flavour Shisha. Great taste. You can actually drag and blow billowing plumes of smoke through that water pipe with zero sensation in your lungs. It's all about the flavour. Not much aroma.

Attachment 32526

Not sure how well these pipes would go over in camp.
Probably about as well as a mojito.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo View Post
I love me a hookah, but never been anywhere as interesting as Egypt.

I have 2 hookahs at home, a half dozen or so pipes and 2 humidors full of cigars. Gave up the cigarettes for good but I still love to smoke. Just don't get to do it very often now, what with a little kid in the house and a general lack of time.

I'm definitely going to be bringing a pipe or two out into the fields with me come gopher time. Especially since I tend to favour english tobaccos which are not as pleasant in aroma as many that have been mentioned in this thread. My Penzance smells like stanky ass in a campfire to everyone else around me when I light up. Need a little isolation for that one.

My girlfriend laughs at me when I smoke a pipe. Calls me "Grandpa"
Old 02-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepyrofish View Post
I love me a hookah, but never been anywhere as interesting as Egypt.

I have 2 hookahs at home, a half dozen or so pipes and 2 humidors full of cigars. Gave up the cigarettes for good but I still love to smoke. Just don't get to do it very often now, what with a little kid in the house and a general lack of time.

I'm definitely going to be bringing a pipe or two out into the fields with me come gopher time. Especially since I tend to favour english tobaccos which are not as pleasant in aroma as many that have been mentioned in this thread. My Penzance smells like stanky ass in a campfire to everyone else around me when I light up. Need a little isolation for that one.

My girlfriend laughs at me when I smoke a pipe. Calls me "Grandpa"
at least she doesn't call you princess. (Oh man, that will NEVER get old!!)
Old 02-22-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post

at least she doesn't call you princess. (Oh man, that will NEVER get old!!)
I ordered a whiskey sour after work one day when we were out of town. It's a pretty normal looking drink when I make it at home. I didn't know the bartender was gonna pour it in a champagne flute and put a cherry on top. One of the facility managers I was eating with asked me what colour my panties were

On topic however: you should post up yourr opinion when you get around to trying out the Nightcap you mentioned. I've been wanting to try it, but need to work through some of the tobacco I already have first.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Now that is a picture worth framing. Pipe in the teeth, with an O/U in one hand, and a mittfull of greenheads in the other. If I had a pic of my dad like that it, would be up on the wall.
Ya I treasure that one Rugatika. Luckily I can still head home to the farm, pour a scotch and watch him smoke his pipe whenever I want but someday that will change and I'm sure I will be happy to have that pic because it sums him up pretty well.

Last edited by Chet; 02-22-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:26 PM

I went out for a stroll the other night and decided to take my pipe. Don't smoke it that often, but sure enjoy it when I do. A few houses down a fellow was standing in his driveway and we started bs'ing. I pulled out my pipe, and started filling it. He said, "Hey, I didn't know you smoked a pipe!" Turns out he used to smoke a pipe years ago - his wife let him smoke it in the house because it smelled nice. I haven't met another pipe smoker around though.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:08 PM

My first wife bought me a pipe after seeing a Norman Rockwell poster of a pipe smoking man fishing with a little boy. The wife thought it reminded her of my son and I as we were fishing so much, I finally quit after a few years.
Now my new love of my life bought me pipe tobacco on Valentine's day and now my pipe collection has gone from one to 8....it's going to a battle to quit this time
Old 03-06-2011, 02:56 PM

I did for a while. Always used to puff away on this tobacco called Vanilla Shag.

If you ever find some of that around, buy it - you can thank me later.