Howdy! Where are you located?
Cat
Howdy!

Lower Mainland BC
Old 01-18-2022, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallingblk View Post
Hi...

Some of the questions I've had to answer since purchasing this beautiful piece are:

- Finding a rod(s) that will fit into the butt stock compartment and do the job
- Finding the right tang sight for this gun that preferably fits existing holes. Same with a front globe sight apparatus
- Finding another club here in BC where I can shoot long range. Currently a member of a 300 yard range.
- Deciding whether or not I want to take the bp plunge. Factory smokeless in 45/70 is expensive!
- Also, will be looking to try match type competitions at some point down the road

FB
I believe Pedersoli and Uberti are interchangeable for sights. Lee Shaver makes good sights, more money MVA are supposed to be the top of line. Worth getting good sights. I have a Hadley eyepiece on my Shaver sights. Really makes a difference for clarity. They are a quick change aperture.

If you are not reloading then need to start. I don't do blackpowder in mine. I can reload smokeless for about 90 cents a round with 405 gr. Can use cast or Campro for cost. Powder depends on what you want for velocity. Can also use pistol powders as well, lots of data out there. More rounds out with less powder. I don't think blackpowder is much difference cost wise unless you want to get into casting.

My costs are figured out using current prices for components. Using 33.5 gr of IMR 4198, which is trapdoor load. Going with 10 firing on cases for cost.

Enjoy the rifle, they are fun to shoot.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
I believe Pedersoli and Uberti are interchangeable for sights. Lee Shaver makes good sights, more money MVA are supposed to be the top of line. Worth getting good sights. I have a Hadley eyepiece on my Shaver sights. Really makes a difference for clarity. They are a quick change aperture.

If you are not reloading then need to start. I don't do blackpowder in mine. I can reload smokeless for about 90 cents a round with 405 gr. Can use cast or Campro for cost. Powder depends on what you want for velocity. Can also use pistol powders as well, lots of data out there. More rounds out with less powder. I don't think blackpowder is much difference cost wise unless you want to get into casting.

My costs are figured out using current prices for components. Using 33.5 gr of IMR 4198, which is trapdoor load. Going with 10 firing on cases for cost.

Enjoy the rifle, they are fun to shoot.
Yes, ordered the Pedersoli LR Creedmore sight which apparently fits. Now deciding whether I’ll need a spirit level globe front with windage adj. If I like the LR sport I’ll have to consider a Shiloh or CSharps down the road with a more expensive sight. Although I’ve owned handguns for many years I’m a relative newb to long guns - have owned a few levers. Full disclosure…hand loading is a bit intimidating.

Have family in Calgary so please don’t hold the BC thing against me ;-)
Old 01-18-2022, 05:06 PM

I have owned , hunted and competed with black powder cartridge rifles for many years , and oersonally speaking, if you want good accuracy out of them, hand loafing is the way to go.
It doesn't have to be as complicated as many make it out to be though, attention to the basics is what counts
Cat
Old 01-18-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have owned , hunted and competed with black powder cartridge rifles for many years , and oersonally speaking, if you want good accuracy out of them, hand loafing is the way to go.
It doesn't have to be as complicated as many make it out to be though, attention to the basics is what counts
Cat
Well, when I told the wife I was thinking of hand loading she asked if we could update the wills.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:12 PM

I went with the Pedersoli rear sight on my 1874, my big mistake. Thought I could save a few bucks but not happy at all with it. Every shot is a re-setting nightmare. In my opinion go to MVA and get their sights, a buddy went that way and compared to mine, well again big mistake. My 2 cents anyway.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
I went with the Pedersoli rear sight on my 1874, my big mistake. Thought I could save a few bucks but not happy at all with it. Every shot is a re-setting nightmare. In my opinion go to MVA and get their sights, a buddy went that way and compared to mine, well again big mistake. My 2 cents anyway.
Ouch, that doesn’t sound good. Btw, do you use a Ballistics calculator app e.g. Hornady

Also, suggestions for a decent lr spotting scope that won’t break the bank?
Old 01-18-2022, 05:39 PM

No to be honest I just got into over the last year, my buddy has been doing this for a number of years and got me into it. I’m still kind of learning the “math” if you will. I’m at this point shooting out to 500 well, and a few hits be on, but I tell you, old quigley may make it look easy but at times I want to use my gun as a crow bar, except it’s not the gun. The sight part has been frustrating, he has been helping but even with experience he can’t get it right. This year I’m going to cut my losses and get a better sight. We are not competition shooter ( he use to be in the states) we just have a group of want to be Quidleys and shoot at each other’s farms for fun. You’ll love it, most fun I’ve had shooting in years.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:48 PM

Maverick, what do you mean when you say " resetting nightmare"?
I have a Pedersoli Soule style sight on my 1874 in 40/65 , and have no issues with it
Cat
Old 01-18-2022, 05:59 PM

Quote:
No to be honest I just got into over the last year, my buddy has been doing this for a number of years and got me into it. I’m still kind of learning the “math” if you will. I’m at this point shooting out to 500 well, and a few hits be on, but I tell you, old quigley may make it look easy but at times I want to use my gun as a crow bar, except it’s not the gun. The sight part has been frustrating, he has been helping but even with experience he can’t get it right. This year I’m going to cut my losses and get a better sight. We are not competition shooter ( he use to be in the states) we just have a group of want to be Quidleys and shoot at each other’s farms for fun. You’ll love it, most fun I’ve had shooting in years.
Yes, really looking forward to it. Simple plinking with a handgun wears thin over the years, love to lean new stuff and this has my juices flowing again.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Maverick, what do you mean when you say " resetting nightmare"?
I have a Pedersoli Soule style sight on my 1874 in 40/65 , and have no issues with it
Cat
Well to be fair and I should have said this in the first post, I probably got a bad one. The windage setting seem very rough when moving it from the beginning, I bought it off of a gun store in Ontario and call them but didn’t get much information.( help). I should have sent it back at the time but was excited to get shooting and thought it would be ok. The more I used it the looser it became to the point it would not hold, that been the re-setting part. I recontacted them but at that point they told me to send it to Pedersoli?
So I thought Instead of trying to go through all that I’d just move on. I am very impressed with the MVA that my buddy has, it just seems to be a better refined sight, and I’d rather have that one anyway. So probably can’t fault the sight, maybe more me not taken care of the problem in the beginning.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:35 PM

Do you think it can be fixed?
Cat
Old 01-18-2022, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Well to be fair and I should have said this in the first post, I probably got a bad one. The windage setting seem very rough when moving it from the beginning, I bought it off of a gun store in Ontario and call them but didn’t get much information.( help). I should have sent it back at the time but was excited to get shooting and thought it would be ok. The more I used it the looser it became to the point it would not hold, that been the re-setting part. I recontacted them but at that point they told me to send it to Pedersoli?
So I thought Instead of trying to go through all that I’d just move on. I am very impressed with the MVA that my buddy has, it just seems to be a better refined sight, and I’d rather have that one anyway. So probably can’t fault the sight, maybe more me not taken care of the problem in the beginning.
What MVA sight does your buddy have?
Old 01-18-2022, 07:51 PM

Thanks Cat for the PM, a shout out to this good man.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryimmers View Post
I did think it was pretty front heavy with the long octagon barrel.
That's something I forgot to mention. I was surprised that my Uberti 45/70 had less recoil than my 30-30 28" lever. Has to be that long heavy bbl and high wall case hardening. Weighs in at 10 lbs.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallingblk View Post
What MVA sight does your buddy have?
Not exactly sure what model MVA soule sight he has, it’s a sight kit( box with front sight aperture cards etc) he is from Arizona originally and competed in his younger days. Way over my talent, but said he was fair compared to others down there. He suggested I look at a mid range sight for what we do, or maybe his just trying to tell me that’s the talent I have.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:54 PM

The rear vernier sight I got from Gunworks down in Oregon. It’s the mid range one from Pedersoli. No issues whatsoever! The front sight is from Track of the Wolf. It’s a Lyman product and is the metric model and comes with inserts. Lee Shaver has finer insert sets; laser printed for precision shooting.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Tradegunner View Post
The rear vernier sight I got from Gunworks down in Oregon. It’s the mid range one from Pedersoli. No issues whatsoever! The front sight is from Track of the Wolf. It’s a Lyman product and is the metric model and comes with inserts. Lee Shaver has finer insert sets; laser printed for precision shooting.
Do you use a Hadley Cup?
Old 03-31-2022, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I can sympathize completely, as I have ( as far as I am concerned anyway) the Ruger in .303 that all others are measured against and I still want to drop the hammer on old if those Uberti's!
Cat
Well I finally did it!!
Old 04-01-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryimmers View Post
Well I finally did it!!
We need a range report with pics now!
Cat
Old 04-01-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:
We need a range report with pics now!
Cat
Should be shipped today.

Now gotta find factory ammo or components, wish me luck....