Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2022, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldguy View Post
Not always. Our stupid “smart” hub isn’t much better than xplornet. I made it clear to Telus that if my place wasn’t in their service area I didn’t want it. Oh yes they said you’re good and it was for a few months. Now it’s off and on again buffering way too much. Too many people on cell service I guess.
tog
They are all the same - eventually they are all at the same level of overbooked for their capacity - otherwise they wouldn't be able to compete at the same price points. Like when CCI came in the area and everyone was happy to jump ship from whatever provider they were with and then CCI was exactly the same as whoever they had left.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Over the last 10 years we have changed things up probably three times and the bottom line was satisfaction so we immediately went elsewhere.....Dont have time to listen to excuses etc......next!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-11-2022, 08:36 AM

My dad has starlink at his cabin in the mountains of Montana. Only recently since the border opened up though. We used to not be able to stream netflix, simple google searches would take minutes. Now, netflix can go nonstop on multiple devices with lots of extra capacity. Can't recommend enough.

I have Starlink on order for the acreage I am building this spring, hope it comes in time. I have used Telus hub with varying success, and own one I can use for a few months if need be, but I think in my area there will be quite a difference from the Telus to Starlink.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:48 AM
Gone Hunting

We're not happy until you're not happy!!!

Without exaggeration xplornet is the worst company UI have ever dealt with from product to staff, to customer service bar none. Rude, ,,incompetant,. Hours spent on hold listening to static filled elevator music.
I've had them for 15 years.
I only have them because the other option is Telus "windup".
For several months Xplornet had be functioning. Not great but not impossible to work with.
I had Voip with them as well as the internet, until their gear crapped the bed and they said they weren't replacing it.

Sorry i have nothing positive to offer, but until you can find a different provider, you are stuck.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-11-2022, 11:06 AM

The best internet company I have dealt with was McsNet was on an acreage so with storms the satellite was a bit spotty but they took customer service very seriously. That was 3-4 years ago and it could of changed but have yet to be satisfied with an internet company since we moved.
Old 01-11-2022, 01:16 PM

I’m actually good with Xplornet at the cabin,
Full 200Gb pkg for $100/ mo.
And put on hold from Dec til May at no monthly charge.
Unsure if they will bill me the modem rental for my held months, likely, will know shortly.
Even tho we get 3-4 bars LTE up there for phones, made the move to satellite to work from home last fall.
Attend a few meetings, back in the stand, ha.

TBark
Old 01-11-2022, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
No kidding! I may have met your dad then. We got our very first phone line back then. Before that our only connection with the outside world was a XJ phone setup at the Cabins.

I just now had a look at StarLink, it looks good.
How cool, I talked to my Dad and he says he remembers the Keg River Cabins, and the XJ phones! I guess they were some kind of two way radio phone. Small world. I went on Google Maps and he described the drive off the highway west towards Keg River.

He has a few cool stories from back in the day. One was when it was -30 and he was heading back to PR in the dark on the OLD highway. He got stuck in a snowdrift, and walked through the bush and 3 foot deep snow to the new highway. Finally he sees headlights and it was another AGT truck sent to go find him as he was missing!

I bet the two of you would have some great conversations!
Old 01-11-2022, 07:59 PM
Gone Hunting

I'm sure he knows some of the same people I do.

Yes the XJ phones were really just two way radios, tuned to channels controlled by AGT and used exclusively for making phone calls.

The were a royal PITA. There was always someone a bit closer or a bit faster who would trip the repeater before I could or they snatch the connection I had tripped because they were faster on the key then I was.

Even if I did make the connection my wife back then couldn't seem to grasp that I could listen talk but not both at the same time.

I was the first guy in the district to get a cell phone, all because I hated those XJ phones.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-11-2022, 08:08 PM
Gone Hunting

Update, this morning I tried three different computers and three different browsers to log into Xplornet mail. They all turned out looking the same.

Then tonight I tried again and everything is back to the way it was before.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-12-2022, 07:10 AM

My son had Explornet. Then he got Starlink about 6 months ago. He said it took about 20 minutes to be up and running. They are very pleased with it. When he canceled Explornet they told him they were coming with better service and offered reduced rates but he said he would never go back.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:49 AM

We are in the exact same boat.
It was CCI wireless, tower is 1/2 mile from my house. Was fantastic, great service, local techs, fast.
Now Expolernet, terrible service, call center is in India, slower and slower by the day.
****ed off, telus hub not a great option here and costs a pile more.
Looking into going to Starlink
Old 01-12-2022, 02:34 PM

We have xplorenet now LTE unit, our last company needed a antenna to get there internet to your place, we went through 3 companies before Xplorenet , at times I need to unplug there unit under my desk, then unplug our router, then when the light goes green, fast internet again, this LTE unit seems to be the ticket to better internet speed , so lets hope this keeps us happy for a few years now.
Old 01-12-2022, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
My son had Explornet. Then he got Starlink about 6 months ago. He said it took about 20 minutes to be up and running. They are very pleased with it. When he canceled Explornet they told him they were coming with better service and offered reduced rates but he said he would never go back.
I remember a few times when I told Xplornet I was frustrated and thinking of going with someone else, they would always promise an upgrade for cheap, and it would work for a month or two, then get slow again. When I finally cancelled it was such a good feeling! I will never believe anything that company says.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:32 AM

Quote:
I have a throwaway gmail account. I could make it my primary account and am thinking of doing so.
But I hate to loose my abnorth business account.
You can either get it forwarded to your gmail account, or set it up so your mail program runs two email addresses.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Update, this morning I tried three different computers and three different browsers to log into Xplornet mail. They all turned out looking the same.

Then tonight I tried again and everything is back to the way it was before.
Sounds like they got enough complaints they finally had a serious look at the issue and figured it out.

If you haven't, it might be a good time to backup all your saved emails. You should be able to export it all to a file in one shot.

You've had a few responses recommending Starlink. I would have a serious look at that if it were me. They have some small connectivity issues which I'm sure they'll figure out eventually but at present any outages that do happen are pretty short lived. I suspect the issue there is when your signal is being handed off from one satellite to the next one in line.

Starlink is expensive though. $600 up front for hardware then $130 or so per month. But, if you are running a business, you should be able to claim that on income tax.

Someone recommended using a 3'd party email account. This is a good idea. Even for your business!

Check this email provider out: https://www.mail.com/

You can create choose from multiple domain names. I have one account with them: xxxx@inorbit.com You can have multiple accounts, including your business account. This way, should you ever have need to change your internet providre in the future, it won't affect your email in any way, shape or form.

I mention this because should you move to Starlink, you may not be able to access your present email.

I switched providers several months back from Telus to another one new in my area but all my important stuff points to my telus.net email account. Luckily, for a mere $7.00/month telus lets me continue to use that email account. So that is definitely something you need to know. Will xplorenet let you keep using your present email or not. If not, or if they want to charge you too much, it's time to move to 3'd party email.

Eventually I'll get everything moved over to my @inorbit.com email account and then I'll say my last goodbye to telus but it's a bit time consuming because I've been with them 16+ years now so I have a lot of stuff going automatically to that account and I have to move each one as they come in.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 01-19-2022, 04:25 PM
Gone Hunting

They fixed the problem. I'm told the code wasn't rendering html for some reason.

And I'm on the waiting list to get Starlink. The say it's be some time after harvest this fall.

George Bernard Shaw