Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-05-2021, 12:31 PM

Default identifying "knock-offs"

Recently had another experience with what I am pretty sure was another Chinese "knock-off" of a Leupold scope. At least with this one I had the opportunity to try the rifle/scope package out at the local range. The scope didn't seem to hold a good zero at 100 yards. I was having trouble adjusting the focus on it, and while doing so, I noticed the amount of play in the bell of the scope was really embarassing! Any QC person in Leupold would/should have never let that one out of the factory! Too many red flags going up on the optics, with the final one being no printing in the gold ring. I'm thinking made in China
I have been stung with these in the past and just wondering what or how to tell for sure if it is legit leupold product. Actually I ran across an on-line site that openly sold various makes (including swarovski) as made in China copies.
Normally, after being stung in the past, I just prefer to buy new from a reputable dealer who will look after any warantee/quality issues, but like everything else, scope listings all seem to be labelled with "out of stock". Surfing the web for used listings leaves me far short of feeling warm and fuzzy on some of the deals I come across.
Any one else been bit by these criminals, and how do you check to see if the product is legit?
Old 11-05-2021, 01:11 PM

I’ve run across several fake leupolds on kijiji and gunpost deals. They were easy enough to identify once they were in my hands and I never bought any of them. Twice I phoned leupold with the s/n to verify authenticity which took maybe five minutes of my life. Not because they appeared fake but because the price was to good to be true. Both phone calls were quick and easy, both times the scopes were real and both times the sellers were happy to provide the s/n. If your not buying from a respectable store/dealer it’s easy enough to call leupold and verify.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:33 PM

I agree with Coiloil37, only way to know for sure is to get a S/N and call the manufacture. I've been looking for a new spotting scope and have come across a few fake Vortex Razors on auction sites, price less than half and NIB.. you can clearly see there is 2 "Made in China" stickers in the photos, so thats a pretty good red flag. Fakes are getting better and better everyday...
Old 11-06-2021, 04:39 AM

Fakes are getting better and better everyday...[/QUOTE]

Seeing as everything is being made in China these days, just might be, you're getting the rejects from the authentic factory.

If it says LEOPOLD, you're in trouble.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-06-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Fakes are getting better and better everyday...

Seeing as everything is being made in China these days, just might be, you're getting the rejects from the authentic factory.

If it says LEOPOLD, you're in trouble.

Grizz[/QUOTE]

I just went and checked the spelling on my scopes. They look legit to me.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2021, 08:55 AM
Banned

A lot of the fakes are incredibly obvious
Fonts are wrong
Magnification range Is wrong/doesn’t exist
Turrets are wrong
Engraving is wrong
Models don’t exist
Old 11-06-2021, 11:06 AM

They used to have on their site an area were you could look up and check serial numbers.
Haven't looked for a bit, so don't know if still there.
Old 11-06-2021, 01:26 PM

With a quick google you can find a bunch of tips on identifying fakes. There was a gun show dealer that loved putting massive Chinese Leupold mk4s on crappy guns just to catch your eye to his table. There's a few identifying marks on the mk4 if you look closely but if your uncertain Leupold recommends calling them with the serial number on the underside of the scope. No serial number there? It's a fake.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 11-06-2021, 05:03 PM

Still have to be vigilant. If they can copy an optic, why cant they copy a serial number?
Old 11-07-2021, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmai View Post
Still have to be vigilant. If they can copy an optic, why cant they copy a serial number?
EXACTLY

All the forgers need to do get a hold of one legit scope and read the serial number off of it and stamp that same legit serial number on the 10,000 fakes they make.

A phone call to Leupold will do nothing ... it will come back as a legit serial number.
Old 11-07-2021, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
EXACTLY

All the forgers need to do get a hold of one legit scope and read the serial number off of it and stamp that same legit serial number on the 10,000 fakes they make.

A phone call to Leupold will do nothing ... it will come back as a legit serial number.
My goodness, if they were only smart enough to get their hands on one legit scope s/n… they could counterfeit at their leisure and nobody would be the wiser. Lol

Maybe you should call them yourself. Come back and let us know what you learn.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:42 AM

Default Canada Customs

One of the jobs of customs inspectors is to watch for fake items. If a shipment of Leupold scopes from China wasnt enough of a clue the same serial number on multiple ones certainly would be a tip off. After one fake Leupold came in with a legit serial number copied off a legit one alerts would go out country wide to all customs officers, Leupold and/or Korth.
I suspect the bulk of these frauds are imported by individuals looking for a bargain on so called internet sales and then either try to cut their losses or profit by passing them on to other unsuspecting buyers. I dont think there is a mass effort from chinese manufacturers to flood the market with garbage scopes only a few individuals. If customs can intercept millions of dollars of fake Gucci and other name brands made all over the world a well known USA brand such as Leupold is probably pretty hard to get past them in large commercial shipments. I suspect they are coming in in single boxes addressed to individuals one or two at a time.