Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2024, 08:57 PM

Default A lot of guests on the forum,

Currently Active Users: 5251 (121 members and 5130 guests)
Over 5000 guests logged in. Is this real or have the bots discovered AO?
Old 04-02-2024, 08:58 PM

yes
Old 04-02-2024, 09:15 PM

I don't believe guests are "logged in," just folks surfing the site who haven't logged in, left a tab open on their phone/desktop, etc.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I don't believe guests are "logged in," just folks surfing the site who haven't logged in, left a tab open on their phone/desktop, etc.
I think a lot of member surf without signing in as well
Old 04-03-2024, 12:08 AM

I believe these numbers are not real. Currently showing 42 members and approximately 5000 guests.lol About 1 member for every 120 guests... ? That just changed a short time ago but for many years it would show approx 1 to every 5 guests. Must be some sort of bug in the numbers.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:54 AM

Normal for most forums

Like has been posted it’s a combination of members not being logged in or non members reading the forum
Old 04-03-2024, 06:38 AM

Do a google search on anything outdoorsy, and see how much AOF comes up near the top of the list of search hits.
That explains all the “guests”.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-03-2024, 06:42 AM

It is bots. I have kept track of guests vs users for eons. It has almost always been roughly a 3:1 ratio. I am not bashing the forum, but it has been pretty quiet. You think if there were 5000 eyes actively reading, there wouldn’t be more signing up and posting? It is bots.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
It is bots. I have kept track of guests vs users for eons. It has almost always been roughly a 3:1 ratio. I am not bashing the forum, but it has been pretty quiet. You think if there were 5000 eyes actively reading, there wouldn’t be more signing up and posting? It is bots.
Lots of reasons why people don’t sign up or post. Somedays it seems like there is more people who come to troll in general discussion vs actual outdoorsman on the forum
Old 04-03-2024, 08:00 AM
AO Sponsor

Should change my name from Tirebob to Tirebot! Lol
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 04-03-2024, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Should change my name from Tirebob to Tirebot! Lol
You could spam adds for your shop till you get banned lol
Old 04-03-2024, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Lots of reasons why people don’t sign up or post. Somedays it seems like there is more people who come to troll in general discussion vs actual outdoorsman on the forum
Exactly, so why would there all of a sudden be 5x more eyes on the forum. The forum has really become a general discussion / politics venting chamber.

Guns and hunting can go for hours without a post.

It's bots.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Yes bots crawling the web...

Old 04-03-2024, 08:47 AM

Are you a bot?

How can we be sure you are human?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg popsicle.jpg (30.2 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg captcha.jpg (24.2 KB, 120 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-03-2024, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Exactly, so why would there all of a sudden be 5x more eyes on the forum. The forum has really become a general discussion / politics venting chamber.

It's bots.
Very possible it’s bots I don’t really know

Could be Federal liberals watching because of all the anti Trudeau posts even
Old 04-03-2024, 09:18 AM

Quote:

It's bots.
winning post
pretty much every thread, no matter how obscure is twisted into a political rant
Old 04-04-2024, 08:17 AM

Political bots, most likely from out of the country will zero in on word targets especially political to start disruption if possible. Lots of targets here.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-04-2024, 09:19 AM

I don’t see where “bots” are causing a lot of grief on this forum. You cannot comment here without being signed in as a member. When you look at the political discussion it’s usually the same 10 or 12 long term members doing most of the political posting and usually you can narrow that down to a much smaller number of long term guys who instigate them.
When an outsider does chime in , it’s pretty obvious and is picked up on right away most of the time by the regulars .

It’s a tough crowd to try and inject a non conservative opinion into a discussion

Lurkers lurk for many reasons, sometimes people sign up just to have access to the buy sell and maybe some never sign in because they became members and were pounced on for asking a “stupid” question in one of the sub forums. It has been known to happen.
Maybe those 5000 guests are former members who want to read comments and are permanently banned former members
Old 04-04-2024, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I think a lot of member surf without signing in as well
That is me....sometimes saves me from saying something stupid after a few Irish.
Old 04-04-2024, 11:24 AM

Do people actually put their username and password in each time the log on? I don’t think I’ve done that in years unless somehow I get logged out.
Old 04-04-2024, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Do people actually put their username and password in each time the log on? I don’t think I’ve done that in years unless somehow I get logged out.
I'm always logged on unless I am using a device that is not associated with me. I save the link in my browser and I'm auto logged on when using my phone, laptop or tablet
Old 04-04-2024, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I don’t see where “bots” are causing a lot of grief on this forum. You cannot comment here without being signed in as a member. When you look at the political discussion it’s usually the same 10 or 12 long term members doing most of the political posting and usually you can narrow that down to a much smaller number of long term guys who instigate them.
When an outsider does chime in , it’s pretty obvious and is picked up on right away most of the time by the regulars .

It’s a tough crowd to try and inject a non conservative opinion into a discussion

Lurkers lurk for many reasons, sometimes people sign up just to have access to the buy sell and maybe some never sign in because they became members and were pounced on for asking a “stupid” question in one of the sub forums. It has been known to happen.
Maybe those 5000 guests are former members who want to read comments and are permanently banned former members
Interesting opinion but we never had that many guests for years. In one moment we went from a ratio of approximately 1 member to 5 guests to 1 to a 100 guests. I think it may be a form of marketing by possibly altering the filters.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:08 PM

I think Twisted Canuck and Tire Bob are organizing the bots in secretIMG_2152.jpg
Old 04-04-2024, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I think Twisted Canuck and Tire Bob are organizing the bots in secretAttachment 189795
I heard using bots was a good way to get my online vaccuum cleaner repairs business off the ground. But so far, it sucks.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-04-2024, 06:27 PM

Quote:
So what are the bots doing?

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-04-2024, 06:32 PM

currently 109 members and 4732 guests viewing. Lots of Bots ??
Old 04-04-2024, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
So what are the bots doing?
This site creates a lot of content (via posts, threads) that is both of interest to search engines (who use crawler bots to index website pages so they can show up in a web search) and scraper bots (most likely for language models for AI programs, i.e. chatGPT). These appear as guests.
Old 04-08-2024, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye Willy View Post
Currently Active Users: 5251 (121 members and 5130 guests)
Over 5000 guests logged in. Is this real or have the bots discovered AO?
These are the people with an interest in the outdoors who wander in from Google. They browse for a while and, finding only political nutjobery and conspiracy theories, move on.

No one ever wonders why, in 2024 with everyone online 24/7, this place boasts members numbering in the dozens rather than the tens of thousands?

Old 04-08-2024, 04:23 PM

On any given day there is usually less than 150 actual.members signed in. Early morning, often 30 to 40. I like the folks I interact with on here but this is one sick and slowly dying forum. Maybe the Bots can help rejuvenate it. 😁
Old 04-08-2024, 04:43 PM

Lot quit because their posts were disappearing or mods where basically censoring a lot.
I see a lot of well known and liked members were banned and whatever the reason was I dont know because its not like I can message them and find out.
Its hard to see the site on a smart phone. I use I big computer with big screen to come on this forum.
Another thing is hunter numbers I'm sure are getting lower. I dont care what experts say but there are less and less Alberta hunters every year. Expense,gun laws,regulations,lack of gun ranges and lack of places to hunt.
Im not sure but are there other rural forums in Alberta?