Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-12-2020, 06:16 AM

Beautiful elk!! On a standard wall height the nose is going to be on the floor!! Congratulations to the hunter.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:52 AM

Albertas elk sure suck. We need predator control bad.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Wasn't that long ago we had some tremendous Alberta elk. Wasn't predators that screwed that up.
But I do agree with you. The west county is a disaster, and has been for a long time.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Two legged predator control first and foremost....then worry about four legged predator control....but this just proves there are some gooders out there!!!!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-12-2020, 08:08 AM
Banned

Smile Now That's a hat rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post

Blair Mitchell, who is a Boone and Crockett official measurer, completed the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation score sheet for the bull and the animal had a score of 421 5/8 gross for non-typical elk. Mitchell said afterwards that it was an “honour and privilege to put the tape on the largest wild bull elk I’ve ever laid my eyes on.” The animal has the largest mass of the 72 non-typical bulls in the Henry Kelsey Record Book. It will also be entered in the Boone and Crockett Record Book, under both typical and non-typical elk.

https://www.yorktonthisweek.com/reco...ark-1.24218451
Wow thats geat looking rack congrats to the Hunter thanks for sharing the story.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:17 AM

If it came out of zone 37 it’s not a game farm elk I have hunted zone 37 my whole life there are very few elk in that zone and the residents that put In this zone to hunt usually shoot the first elk they see and most never get a chance at one. But there are elk there and some huge ones back 20 years ago we found a set of matching sheds that would have been close to 400”. The zone is pretty much all private land. The community pasture now doesn't let access till after October. So there is always the chance for a bull to get old enough to be that big.
But like all good things there are people who want to kill it we have been having visitors from Manitoba doing the short drive over to sask and cleaning up anything edible in zone 37. By the truckload. Pretty much my whole family is someplace in that zone and farm all around that zone, there are really only elk in a couple pockets.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
So how do we know this for sure. There are an awful lot of Elk running around Alberta and Sask that are released or escapees of game farms. It is also where the wild hog problem came from. Game farm animals are responsible for CWD, though no one will officially admit that, BSE, Blue Tongue now being in Canada from imported Elk, TB resurgence and a lot of other not good things. There are also significant genetic changes due to escaped animals. To believe that a genetically western Canadian Elk, from wild stock produced that rack makes me more than just a little suspicious.
X2.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:32 AM

Default Dang

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
If it came out of zone 37 it’s not a game farm elk I have hunted zone 37 my whole life there are very few elk in that zone and the residents that put In this zone to hunt usually shoot the first elk they see and most never get a chance at one. But there are elk there and some huge ones back 20 years ago we found a set of matching sheds that would have been close to 400”. The zone is pretty much all private land. The community pasture now doesn't let access till after October. So there is always the chance for a bull to get old enough to be that big.
But like all good things there are people who want to kill it we have been having visitors from Manitoba doing the short drive over to sask and cleaning up anything edible in zone 37. By the truckload. Pretty much my whole family is someplace in that zone and farm all around that zone, there are really only elk in a couple pockets.
What a shame Raw.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Wasn't that long ago we had some tremendous Alberta elk. Wasn't predators that screwed that up.
But I do agree with you. The west county is a disaster, and has been for a long time.
Please explain what it was that made so many Elk disappear. Like most hunters I always thought it was predators.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:53 PM

One in a million that's for sure. I wonder how old he was. Most Elk in hunting zones are killed when legal if seen by hunters. Very few are passed on to grow older and larger. That bull must have been in a safe area for some time before he ventured out into his final resting place.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Please explain what it was that made so many Elk disappear. Like most hunters I always thought it was predators.
There were a pile of huge bulls (as noted above we are talking about big bulls)taken around the Suffield block over the course of a few years. How many are around there now? If the answer is none it wasn't due to predators.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
There were a pile of huge bulls (as noted above we are talking about big bulls)taken around the Suffield block over the course of a few years. How many are around there now? If the answer is none it wasn't due to predators.
People who can hunt in large groups and shoot what ever they see, could be descibed as predators by some.....?????
Old 10-12-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
People who can hunt in large groups and shoot what ever they see, could be descibed as predators by some.....?????
Absolutely agree 100%. One of the areas that the 2 legged predators could be controlled, and yet it wasn't. I blame it on those who allowed it to happen though. Should be an trophy elk mecca down in that country, not what it is now.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:35 PM

I remember one time killing a giant whitetail and seeing the nonsense on the internet. It was amusing, I hope this lucky guy who’s been hunting there forever takes it for what it is, immature jealousy. Congrats on the behemoth.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Absolutely agree 100%. One of the areas that the 2 legged predators could be controlled, and yet it wasn't. I blame it on those who allowed it to happen though. Should be an trophy elk mecca down in that country, not what it is now.
Yep it should have been a world class destination for huge elk
Could have been like that for generations
But instead they were left to rot in trailers or fed to their dogs

The bio’s in this province are terrible
They have botched their management of every species in the last 15 years
Old 10-12-2020, 10:01 PM

Dressed body weight was small on that guy, compared to the ones we shot a couple years ago.
Beauti rack though.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:21 AM

Default Saskatchewan monster elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Yep it should have been a world class destination for huge elk
Could have been like that for generations
But instead they were left to rot in trailers or fed to their dogs

100% agreed!
Old 10-13-2020, 07:54 AM

I grew up in this area. There's a lot of elk and a lot of big elk there - not from a game farm.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:00 AM

Default elk

First I would like to congratulate the fellow for harvesting a beautiful elk, well done. If you study Boone & Crockett record book elk in Alberta they tend to come from areas like Panther/Clearwater river that have gene pool that produce many record book elk.
Lastly I would like to hear the story of the hunt, a record book animal harvest, should compliment a great elk hunt story.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:30 AM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Methinks if it's anything like BC or most of the rest of this country, it isn't the biologists, rather the bureaucrats in so called "management" that are to blame. That, and of course political influence...

Nog
Old 10-13-2020, 12:44 PM

Was a good year for horn growth on the prairies. All the rain made for great growing conditions. Also a lot of feed left out last year so wintering was good for the wildlife. Know of an equally as big or bigger elk killed in Ab...and no high fence either
Old 10-13-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
First I would like to congratulate the fellow for harvesting a beautiful elk, well done. If you study Boone & Crockett record book elk in Alberta they tend to come from areas like Panther/Clearwater river that have gene pool that produce many record book elk.
Lastly I would like to hear the story of the hunt, a record book animal harvest, should compliment a great elk hunt story.
I would bet that with an animal of this magnitude that the story won’t be told to the public until it is published in a magazine somewhere. Just my opinion but that is usually the case with record book animals.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Beautiful bull
But with no Americans being able to come hunt this year
There is a lot of big elk that guys are not going to want to pay to feed all winter long again
That mass is uncharacteristically heavy
I can almost guarantee you no one with and elk farm is releasing bulls like that into the wild purposefully. That elk is worth money to someone.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 10-14-2020, 09:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
I can almost guarantee you no one with and elk farm is releasing bulls like that into the wild purposefully. That elk is worth money to someone.
Neither do I
They are just selling them cheap
Old 10-15-2020, 09:55 PM

Congrats to the lucky hunter, never in my life do I expect to see an animal like that, let alone get a chance to shoot one! Good on ya!
Old 10-15-2020, 11:15 PM

Farm elk do get out. 3 farms east of innisfail had over 100 bulls escape due to the red deer river flooding a number of years back. Another farmer near Bashaw opened his gates after mad cow scare. Some great genetics were added to the wild herds.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Methinks if it's anything like BC or most of the rest of this country, it isn't the biologists, rather the bureaucrats in so called "management" that are to blame. That, and of course political influence...

Nog
Beautiful Bull and no doubt it was well deserved for sure!

Totally agree with you It's my understanding that our Alberta Bio's had nothing to do with the Suffield hunt and the resulting Trophy Elk demise. The Suffield base is a federally controlled area and the Elk shoot was approved and conducted by the Feds with the aim of total Elk heard reduction on the Base. Mission accomlished ! Old news, I know, but lets put the blame burden where it rightfully belongs... on the Feds.(Department of Defence).
Old 10-16-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
All farmed elk are DNA tested and put in a database. At least they used to be.

FWIW it’s likely a wild elk that had the opportunity to grow and mature before it was found and hunted.

Never understood why whenever a giant animal is taken the first thought are photoshopped, game farm, or poached.

Sometimes things are exactly as they seem.

LC
To put it in a single word, jealousy.

Amazing bull.

If he's planning on hanging it in his house he's going to have to reinforce the wall he sticks it on!
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 10-16-2020, 02:07 PM

Beautiful elk. Congrats to the hunter. A prize for sure
Old 10-16-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
Farm elk do get out. 3 farms east of innisfail had over 100 bulls escape due to the red deer river flooding a number of years back. Another farmer near Bashaw opened his gates after mad cow scare. Some great genetics were added to the wild herds.

This wasn't a farmed elk.