Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-26-2009, 12:22 PM

Default 12' Trailer / Shanty.

I have an OLD 12' travel trailer that I am going to convert to a fish shanty. It is a late 60's Travelaire and we want to be able to take the kids out overnight and have them be comfortable. We have Sonitubes to go through the floor to prevent draft and light into the holes. We are making plates to bolt into place during travel and when the holes are not in use (6 holes).

Anything else you think I need other than the obvious Stereo, TV DVD, hammock and usual trialer stuff. Ideas? tricks and or pictures of similar would be great. I saw BuckKrazy and Dusters last year but can't find the pictures.

I am concerned about the weight of the trailer and us sitting entirley on the tires and how I can distribute the weight out, My jacks are oldschool posts with crank handles. will some 2x10 put under them spread it out enough?

Cheers

Dan
Old 11-26-2009, 02:51 PM

So let me start my saying i'm jealous. I want to do this as well. I don't think you should have a problem with weight, as I know lots of guys run these things up to 9000 lbs and pull them out with a 3/4 tonne diesel on 12" of ice. The only thing you have to worry about is lots of snow like we had last year. Do you have a big truck and 4x4? Maybe invest in some chains.

You could also do what most people do....stripe out everything that is not needed that adds weight.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:29 AM

Add a wood stove if you can, also you could rig up some sort of skirting to help keep things a bit warmer.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:51 AM

Wood over propane?
All of the "working bits" are in great shape on this unit. I have a wood stove but if the propane is working good I am hesitant to mess with it.

We are planning to foam insulate the floor and aluminum skin over it.
Would the skirt give us a better shadow on the ice and attract fish? Is this a factor?

The Generator will sit on the battery box behind the propane tanks which is on bushings to prevent vibration transfer to the ice. Should we care about sound / vibration through the ice? fish bite behind a trolling boat.

lastly. My FF from my Kayak, just a cheap Eagle unit, Worth using as a stationary unit?
Old 11-27-2009, 10:57 AM

Personally I would keep the propane stove. If you are using tubes to the ice to keep light out, that should do. Don't know if the skirt is needed.

As per the generator. The sound is 10x or more worse through the ice. Why do you need a generator? What the heck are you planning on running LOL? I would say that would be very loud, way different behind the boat. Usually your line is far away from the engine and pike don't care that much.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:57 AM

Oh, and FF...anything should do. A flasher is preferrable on the ice though.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4u View Post

lastly. My FF from my Kayak, just a cheap Eagle unit, Worth using as a stationary unit?
I use a cheap portable humminbird and It works well. The biggest issue I would have to deal with is the lcd slowing down or freezing in cold weather so it shouldn't be problem for you in your shack. Also you will have to work something out so that you can suspend your transducer and have it sitting level in the water.

The flashers are definately better for ice fishing, better target separation and the information is shown faster the lcd has a bit of lag although with my scroll rate cranked up I don't really notice it. If I see something on my FF coming for the hook the point at which they meet and when I see the bite is pretty much spot on. The flashers also work better in the cold and have a transducer that is easier to use
Old 11-27-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post

As per the generator. The sound is 10x or more worse through the ice. Why do you need a generator? What the heck are you planning on running LOL? I would say that would be very loud, way different behind the boat. Usually your line is far away from the engine and pike don't care that much.
Just the essentials... TV/DVD, Blender, Xbox, Laser light and smoke machine.

The genny is very small (Honda EX650)and we will probaly just use it for lights when if needed and to charge batteries if we are weekending.

The FF we will mount onto a telescoping pole to lower when needed.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:08 PM

If you only running the generator once and a while, you should be fine. No different than starting up the truck to make sure it warms up. Run it at night and it might actually attract burbot and walleye over to see wtf...

FF should be OK. If you can, get a flasher. Well worth it.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4u View Post
Wood over propane?
All of the "working bits" are in great shape on this unit. I have a wood stove but if the propane is working good I am hesitant to mess with it.

We are planning to foam insulate the floor and aluminum skin over it.
Would the skirt give us a better shadow on the ice and attract fish? Is this a factor?

The Generator will sit on the battery box behind the propane tanks which is on bushings to prevent vibration transfer to the ice. Should we care about sound / vibration through the ice? fish bite behind a trolling boat.

I never said to ditch the propane, I just said to add a wood stove if you can. Get the best of both worlds. Not sure what the skirting would do for the fish, may help, I was thinking in terms of helping keep you warm. You could also just bank snow against the trailer if you don't want the hassle of putting the skirting on. I'd leave the gen set in the box of the truck myself, not sure if it would affect the fish or not, I just wouldn't want to be slinging it around is all...
Old 11-28-2009, 12:27 AM

Duster and Buck Krazy's trailer is awesome, I would make mine no other way. Wood paneling, and a wood stove make it the ultimate ice cabin experience!

Duster mentioned that the skirt was to keep the draft from up the holes down, and to keep the trailer in one spot with all the southern Alberta winds. I guess some other trailer shacks have blown away, when there is no one in them, and the wind gets beneath the trailer... She's a long gone. The skirt makes the shanty "more aerodynamic". Ask those two guys for tips, they have a million of them, and can no doubt save you some money and time.

Good luck, and don't forget to post pictures of your new palace!

TFG
Old 11-28-2009, 08:36 AM

Yeah FG is right i built a skirt around the trailers for numerous reasons, I will explain when 2big comes and takes a look, I have actually sunk quite a bit of time into these.Its not just a snap of the fingers!!

Tags
ice fishing, pimp my shanty, shanty, trailer