Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2021, 08:56 AM

Default Getting Crossbow License in Alberta

This is just a how to thread for those people that might be interested.

The first consideration is to review the Alberta Hunting Regs. There are something like 5 different medical reasons that might let you get the exemption.

In my case, #5, which is basically a medical/physical condition that doesn't allow the user to draw a conventional bow, and is not going to improve.

My right shoulder socket is buggered up. I can haul the compound back a time or 2 but no way that I can draw and fire it enough to become proficient with the compound anymore.

Called the doc to see about getting the medical approval, that's when it got a bit dicey (cuz I had already bought an Excalibur Bulldog 400), and she said I'd have to get an MRI & XRays on my shoulder.
Plus how come I had never mentioned an issue with my shoulder? Oh jeez... "Well doc it's like this...it's only a problem when trying to draw a compound bow.."

So I had to go to a clinic in Edmonton, got the MRI & XRays done, and I had no idea if I was gonna get approved.

But thanks goodness the MRI & Xrays verified that my right shoulder is buggered up.

Doc wrote up a letter for me.

But then I had to go to Alberta Fish & Wildlife and get the govt application, had to trot that back to my doctor for her to fill out, which was no big deal but cost $25.

Finally with my MRI & XRay results, doc's letter and Alberta Crossbow Exemption application filled out, sent that off to Alberta Fish & Wildlife for review/approval.

A nice lady from the Edmonton office of Ab F&W called me, said my application would be approved immediately.

Final thing: she then emailed once the exemption was officially approved and said to go on Alberta RELM and make sure to print off my crossbow license (no fee for that) for 2021, so that it will automatically activate in subsequent years.

And I did that. Printed my crossbow license exemption, which is actually good for the next 5 years.

Summary:
1. Doc appointment.
2. MRI & Xray.
3. Doc reviews MRI & Xray results.
4. Get letter from doc confirming you have medical proof that you qualify under one of the 5 or so exemptions.
5. Then you still need to get Alberta govt exemption application, which your doc has to fill out.
6. Submit MRI & Xray results, plus doc letter, plus doc filling out Alberta govt application to Alberta F&W for review/approval.
7. Alberta F&W approval.
8. Go to Alberta RELM and find crossbow permit in Hunting Licenses, print it off for current year so that it automatically activates for future years.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker